Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:07:46 AM EDT
Got some good looking ribs I am going slow cook tonight and need a good marinate recipe and some suggestions on how to cook.

Any suggestions

EPOCH

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
marinate with pork ribs then discard beef.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Use a dry rub and some worstershire sauce to give them a good coat of rub, then smoke for 6 hours.

Boiling is wrong.  

Add Texas Pepper Jelly during the last hour of the cooking.  I prefer Strawberry Habanero.  It will melt into a glaze that is darn tasty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently purchases a sampler pack from Texas Pepper Jelly and haven't looked back.  I love the stuff.

Go here:

www.texaspepperjelly.com
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I voted for pointy stick but that's because I didn't have my glasses on.  I though it said Libs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
marinate with pork ribs then discard beef.

+1  

You think I would put my grandmother's secret sauce recipe on the internet?  Or my daddy's fire-building hints?

You had just  better hope the TX crew doesn't see this.  They may kick you out of the state!! Or a least put a Vader grip on your throat.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You think I would put my grandmother's secret sauce recipe on the internet?  Or my daddy's fire-building hints?

You had just  better hope the TX crew doesn't see this.  They may kick you out of the state!! Or a least put a Vader grip on your throat.

I was raised in Cajun country, southeast TX, I can make you world class gumbo, crawfish, crabs, softshell turtle, jambalaya, and redfish.  And my crab/crawfish pistolettes will make you cry!  But my experience with beef ribs is limited

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Good dry rub, overnight in the refrigerator.  Then smoke for about 6 hours (apprx. 225 degrees).  Every so often I spray them with apple juice also, to help keep them moist and impart a little additional flavor.  Heated sauce is served on the side.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
does the "smoke for 6 hours" hold true for baby back ribs also?

someone told me to smoke them for less time because they're naturally more tender.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

someone told me to smoke them for less time because they're naturally more tender.

Smoke baby backs for 4 hours.  

Also, never ask the little old ladies at the grocery store if the baby backs are made from real babies.  Tends to spook them a wee bit...  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Photokirk,

Are you smoking for the entire 4 hours or just smoke for the first 2 and then heat after that.  Also, what kind of wood.  I used hickory for 4 hours and I think they were a little smokey.  But they were still good.  Just got the Texas Pepper Jelly sample pack a couple hours ago, will try that next time.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This is purely a subjective thing.  I typically smoke mine for anywhere from 4-6 hours depending on how cold they were to start out, how thick they are, etc.  6 hours and they will be fall-off-the-bone tender, and you'll have to be careful getting them out so they don't fall apart on you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Photokirk,

Are you smoking for the entire 4 hours or just smoke for the first 2 and then heat after that.  Also, what kind of wood.  I used hickory for 4 hours and I think they were a little smokey.  But they were still good.  Just got the Texas Pepper Jelly sample pack a couple hours ago, will try that next time.

Bill3508

I use the 3-2-1 Method

3 hours unfoiled
2 hours foiled
1 hour unfoiled with TPJ as a glaze

I usually cook over mesquite and/or oak.  Mesquite burns hotter, oak burns longer.  I prefer oak for overnight cooks.

Darn tasty ribs.  I also use Texas BBQ Rub for my dry rub.  www.texasbbqrub.com

Also, Mandarin Orange Habanero TPJ on a warm biscuit is so good it's probably a sin.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]
PhotoKirk is RIGHT ON TARGET with 3-2-1 and some Texas Pepper Jelly.

He and I have traded messages and are members of  www.texasbbqrub.com/.  You CAN'T go wrong with 3-2-1.  They WILL be the best pork ribs you've ever had.

Right PK?

~m38a1
ETA:
Add TexasBBQRub hotlink
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
PhotoKirk is RIGHT ON TARGET with 3-2-1 and some Texas Pepper Jelly.

He and I have traded messages and are members of  www.texasbbqrub.com/.  You CAN'T go wrong with 3-2-1.  They WILL be the best pork ribs you've ever had.

Right PK?

~m38a1
ETA:
Add TexasBBQRub hotlink

Damn right.  I smoked two racks yesterday with Texas Passion Jalapeno jelly.  Good stuff.  The jalapeno jelly has just enough heat to be yummy without making it too hot for people who are afraid of spicy foods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top