Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2005 10:03:48 AM EDT
I am thinking about gettin a German Shepard.  Do they take any special maintenance?  I know that some dogs need to have specific care and just wondered if they were one of them.  Is male or female better?  I am trying to get one from a friend.  They are pure bred but the father doesnt have AKC papers.  They are asking $125, I'm guessing thats a pretty good deal.  

Thanks.

Will
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You get what you pay for.  Watch out for hip and back problems (which can't be detected in puppies).  Is it an American or German (European) bred dog?  Research the breeders because there is more to it than throwing 2 dogs together for money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You get what you pay for.  Watch out for hip and back problems (which can't be detected in puppies).  Is it an American or German (European) bred dog?  Research the breeders because there is more to it than throwing 2 dogs together for money.

What he said, the euro dogs have a flatter back and have much less hip problems than the American ones. You can get the dogs x-rayed and have a certified person look at them, but you would be much off getting a decent animal from the start. Many places say they will buy back if your dog develops problems, but is that something you want to deal with 3 years down the road after you are already attached?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
From my experience with one, the following could be problems:
-No puppy personality test could be a problem if the dog is dominant.
-No guarantees on the hips could be a problem. Does the dog come with X-rays?
-German shepherds play rough and have a high pain threshold. Be prepared for the occasional bruise and black eye
-German shepherds shed (alot) all year.
-My dog demands exercise. He will go banannas without regular exercise.
-They learn fast once they realize who is in charge.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Some American lines are prone to what is known as hip dysplasia.  This will not show up in the pups, but will manifest as the dogs get older, 4-5 years old.  Talk to owners who have purchased from a particular breeder.  

As the dog ages, the hind legs become crippled, and the dog suffers getting up and down, like an old person with arthritis.

They sell all sorts of vitamins and suppliments for it, but it is genetic.  The best way to avoid the problem is to buy a Shepherd from a line that is free of the disease.

Shepherds are great dogs.  Smart, easily trained but with a little stubborn streak, athletic.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a pure bred German Shepard Dog, male, all black, almost 5yrs old, second generation American (East German), 105lbs, badasshe
2. Male/female depends on what you are looking for. Males are obviosly bigger/stronger. Neutering is highly recomended if you are not a full blown Alpha type personality. My dog has his nuts and is extreamly dominant and head strong also does not grt along with most other dogs. And turns into a crazed maniac if he so much as smells a female dog in heat. This behavior can last for days after contact with the bitch.

3. $125 is too cheap for a quality gsd. It being your friend might have something to do with that though. Look at spending at least $500 for a good dog.

4. A "real" german shepard is a serious dog for a serious dog owner. If you are looking for a casual pet there are many decent and good dogs that are desperate for adoption in shelters all over the country. Consider that as an option as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have always had German Shepherds,,,, they are loyal, protective, and a great dog. Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I've owned german shepards pretty much all of my life and, judging from my experience, there are several things tht I can say in regards to their ownership:

1)German Shepards tend to be loyal to a fault. They are very very dedicated to their master. When I'm outside mine will follow me practically everywhere.

2)They 're territorial animals and they don't like it when other strange dogs invade their "home".

3)They require a decent (though not an overwhelming) amount of attention and love as well as excercise. Don't keep them locked ina small cage or chained up for long periods of time.

4)Yes, they shed alot of hair. I consider them to be "yard dogs" rather than "house dogs". If you do keep them inside the home, be mindful of the fact that you will have hair problems pretty much on a constant basis. This is especially true during the early part of the spring when they are busy shedding their winter coat and getting ready for the hot summer months.

5) Yes, be mindful of hip problems (especially as the dog gets into its twighlight/older age years).

6)Some GSD can have a tendency to be aggressive against not only other dogs but against strange people, as well. This can be both a plus and a minus because they tend to make good guard dogs but it can be a problem if they happen to bite a friend who might be visiting your home. Been there. Done that.

7)German Shepards are very very smart and they do tend to learn fairly quick and they geniunely desire to make their master happy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1)German Shepards tend to be loyal to a fault. They are very very dedicated to their master. When I'm outside mine will follow me practically everywhere.

True about the dogs loyalty, and it goes both ways. I am leaveing for the Army in one week. My brother is taking care of my dog at a house we just purchest. The thought of leaving my best friend(and yes he is my best friend) is breaking my heartCall me a pussie or whatever but I have been reduced to tears a couple of times already while looking in his eyes and explaning that "daddy has to go away for awhile".
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Got one. Pure bred. Loyal and good around my kids. Good watchdog also.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm planning on getting a GS for the family. I've had a couple of them before & they were excellent, but  i never had them around kids. I have a baby (6 mths old). I have a question for you GS gurus, are they good around kids/babies?

thx
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm planning on getting a GS for the family. I've had a couple of them before & they were excellent, but  i never had them around kids. I have a baby (6 mths old). I have a question for you GS gurus, are they good around kids/babies?

thx

Yes, they'll be fine around children. As i've already stated german shepards are very protective and loyal to their master and their masters family. All of my german shepards have been prone to want to walk up to me to lick and kiss me right in the face. You may want to discourage this habit in your dogs as it could scare a very small child if they saw a very large dog (in their eyes) walk right up to them and lick them right in the face. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about them to much. My shepard has been quite accepting of my nephews and niece because she knows they are apart of my familys "pack".
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll never ever own any other dog besides a GS. Loyal to a fault, absolutely trustworthy around my kids (3 and 1). Smartest breed out there. They are hairy though!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Do a search on here.  I inquired about the same and there are a few other threads out there with more info.   Spend the money up front on a well breed one.  When you average it out over the years it's really not that expensive.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine's a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix.

What a great dog.  I don't know anything about his breeding.  I got him from some people who were trying to find a home for him because he was likely to be destroyed.  He's the best buddy I could have.  When I'm working on the computer, he comes up and puts his head on my arm to let me know it's time to pay attention to him for a little while.  Then we play the wrestle game a little.

He's exceptionally smart and learns fast.  He tends to get really excited at times, though, and sometimes he forgets his manners.  But it's never for lack of trying on his part.

Dog was housebroken in two days.  Seriously.

But darn it all, I was hoping he'd shed like a Husky.  No, he sheds like a German Shepherd.  I had to get a new Uber Hoover vac.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1  Do some checking.  If the parents are papered check with the OFFA to see if hips/elbows have been checked for hip dysplasia.  OFFA  Bad hips will takes years off of your dogs life and cost you thousands of dollars.

Best of luck!  Patty PS They're working dogs - give em a job and they'll be happy.  Ignore them they'll find a job to do.  [not always what you want either].

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quick question.  The hip problem yall speak of.  Will it get to the point that he can't use his hind legs?  My grandfather's did this and we thought it was from him getting hit by chasing cars.  In fact, that's how my grandfather got him.  Found him in the ditch in front of his house after being hit by a car.  When I just learned to walk, the dog kept me from going down the driveway to the highway.  Everyone said that every time I'd take a step, he'd knock me down.  They are VERY loyal and protective.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Mosy GS in this country comes from puppy farms with all kinds of genetic defects.  They were mostly bred for their looks and not for anything else.  IMHO if you must have a GS get a European dog with good line and short history in this country.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mosy GS in this country comes from puppy farms with all kinds of genetic defects.  They were mostly bred for their looks and not for anything else.  IMHO if you must have a GS get a European dog with good line and short history in this country.  

Sad but true
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

True about the dogs loyalty, and it goes both ways. I am leaveing for the Army in one week. My brother is taking care of my dog at a house we just purchest. The thought of leaving my best friend(and yes he is my best friend) is breaking my heart
Call me a pussie or whatever but I have been reduced to tears a couple of times already while looking in his eyes and explaning that "daddy has to go away for awhile".

A "man hug" is probably ok on departure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quick question.  The hip problem yall speak of.  Will it get to the point that he can't use his hind legs?  My grandfather's did this and we thought it was from him getting hit by chasing cars.  In fact, that's how my grandfather got him.  Found him in the ditch in front of his house after being hit by a car.  When I just learned to walk, the dog kept me from going down the driveway to the highway.  Everyone said that every time I'd take a step, he'd knock me down.  They are VERY loyal and protective.

It will require him to be put down if it get's bad enough, and if not can require thousands in surgery if you don't want to euthanize them.  I'd strongly reccomend getting one from a rescue.  www.midshouthshepherdrescue is a great one.  Some of the dogs have been abused, then again some of them, like my dog buck, came from top breeders in the country and have training that would put any police dept dog to shame and have messed up stories like judges ordering the dog to be given up during a divorce instead of granting it to one party or another.  That's how we got Buck.

He was whelped and trained in personal protection at www.vonfalconer.com  He is one of the premier breeders and trainers in the country.  His lowest (pet only) quality dogs start about about $960.  They go upwards to $25,000.  Now keep in mind that no matter how well these dogs are trained they are still big babies when it comes to attention.

They are EXTREMELY high maintanence dogs.  They can play rough (prepare to take a dog forehead to the chin on a regular basis) but as has been said, are loyal to a fault.  If you have kids, don't EVER even think about getting onto them in front of the dog if you get physical with them.  Just FYI the actual name of the breed isn't German shepherd.  It's German Shepherd Dog.  People in GSD circles can get snobby and get irritated about it.  If you have any questions feel free to email me or Im me.  I can hook you up with a rescue group in your area.  One other thing.  Any dog food sold at walmart is shit.  Feed it, nutro or royal canin.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#23]
My GSD was a stray.  She is 9-10 years old with NO problems.  85 pounds of shedding love.  Yes, she sheds.  But she doesn't jump on people nor does she have any rough behavior with anyone but me and that isn't snapping but rather its tail-slapping.  Yes, she is so happy she can cause bruising with her tail!

When she was stray, she got bit by a rattlesnake in the mouth, got shot with a .44 caliber (240 grain half-jacket) and was traumatized by lightning/storms.  She still has the bullet under her skin.  The vet recommended leaving it alone.

But she is very loving, protective and scares bad guys.  She even gives thanks to me when I feed her, refusing her food until she gets 5 minutes of petting.  If I don't, she forces her head under my hand.  

She is NEVER protective of her food, allowing me to mess with her food.  

She is only mean around strange dogs but easily makes friends when I am there.

I trust her with all children as she loves them since most give her all the attention she demands.  Yes, she is an attention slut.  But she is MY slut.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had a GSD for over 14 years (he's old) and has not had one physical problem (like hip dysplasia) at all.  The only time he has had to go to the vet other than routine maintenance was a GSW to his rear leg from some yahoo who thought it was a wolf .

I can't say enough good things about the breed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a GS for years. Cancer finally took her. I had her operated on twice to remove the stomach cancer. It finally came back with a vengeance after the last op. She was the most amazing dog I've ever had,  and the smartest. Almost too smart for her own good sometimes.

I miss her very much even after 2 years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Those Swiffer pads that pick up dust are a God-send for GSD owners.  I know a few and it has changed their lives (well, the lives of their maids, but still).  If you have a critter that sheds, then the Swiffer pads will make your life a lot easier.

GSDs are nice.  A little large for lapdogs, but that doesn't seem to stop them from getting into my lap and refusing to leave.

EDIT:

One funny thing about GSDs is how talkative they are.   That always cracks me up.  You can get rid of your alarm clock too.  A GSD will not allow you to miss breakfast -- theirs!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Talkative?  Not mine.  She only groans in pleasure when she gets an ear massage...but she SINGS.  Deep baritone in response to sirens.  Scares some people but I think it is beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks everyone for all the info.  It has helped alot.  Im not a big fan of the shedding, however i still think that im going to get the dog.  It wont be a house dog anyways.  I live on a farm so it will have a couple thousand acres to run on.  

Thanks again.

Will
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#29]
My Shepherds, Gretchen and Heidi, were great with our kids.  With our first child the dogs knew they would be scolded for jumping up on the crib to look at the baby, getting their paws on the edge of the crib mattress.  So, they would go in and stand, balancing on their hind legs, not touching the crib, to check on the baby.  When my wife would hang laundry outside, if the baby was crying they could hear even when my wife could not, would go tearing into the house, check the baby, come out, and they would force her to put down the laundry.  Gretchen would take her by the wrist and drag her to the house, with Heidi behind her barking, herding her to the baby.

They were great with my kids, regardless of the horror stories people told us, "they will kill and eat your baby".  BS!

Gretchen would point... stalk birds and point like a pointer.  Never got any.  Heidi would pretend to be asleep, and when the bluejays would swoop down to peck her on the head, she'd grab them out of the air, pile up the bodies and lay on top of them so the other jays did not see.  Then lay in wait again pretending to sleep.

Gretchen could climb an 8' chain link fence.  Took a while to figure how she would get out of the fenced yard.  She just stuck her paws in the fence and climbed up, walking up the fence.

As far as a dog acting crazy around a bitch in heat... ours would invariably come in heat together, usually Heidi starting a day after Gretchen.  And they would fight.  We would have to separate them for the duration.  The mere sight of each other and they would fight fiercely.  Several trips to the vets for lots of stitches on those two.  Afterwards, out of heat, they would play fine together.  Go figure.  I don't want anymore females!  Never had that fighting problem with males.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#30]
They're good dogs extremely loyal and pretty territorial. Easy to train and very smart. Both of mine follow me around the yard while doing yard work and will let me know if someone approaches. Plus they keep the yard clear of rabbits, snakes, and even moles. I've never had problems with them being aggressive toward other people, but most of it seems to be my attitude toward the person.

They do require a lot of exercise they get about a hour  a day. And like other people said, you will get knocked about as they get older.

Here's mine: Jughead (tan), and Katie (black), we got papers on both.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Shepards are intelligent animals and need activities to keep their minds working.  Else you'll be looking at all sorts of distruction due to a bored dog.

Worst thing you can do to a shepard is not interact with him and treat him like a dog so to speak.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had several, both professionally and for the home.  I have enjoyed them like no other that I have used.  Although my Dutch Shepherd was a harder worker (all business).

This is my personal GSD.  She is a 5 year old European import (Schutzhund II):

This was my working K9 partner:

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:

thx

My GS (past away last Feb) was super protective of my daughter when she was born.  Wherever the baby was is where the dog was.  If you were holding the baby, you would have her standing there staring at you.  She would even look at me or the wife when someone other than us would go to the baby's crib as if to see if they had permission or not.

She was very protective of my wife even before that.  I'm not a dog expert or trainer by any means, but it struck me as unusual in that she wouldn't bark or growl when she was serious, she would just "act".  Don't know if that is the norm or not, and I hate to say that she was a little racist and HATED the UPS guy. . . .

Man I miss her . . .

ETA  sounds like I miss her because of her being racist lol, NOT THE CASE AT ALL just miss her in general    
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#34]
One pic says it all!

I love watching people who come to the door, jump down off of the steps when my GSD answers the door bell! Nobody ever believes the sign warning them that a GSD patrols the property. It provides for great family evening entertainment!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've had several, both professionally and for the home.  I have enjoyed them like no other that I have used.  Although my Dutch Shepherd was a harder worker (all business).

This is my personal GSD.  She is a 5 year old European import (Schutzhund II):

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/TxLawDog/Brenda.jpg

This was my working K9 partner:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/TxLawDog/PoliceK9.jpg

Great pics TxLawDog!

I always asked my wife when it comes to GSD’s shedding, “I wonder what the K9 cops do wearing those blue or black uniforms!” Your cruiser must be full of hair flying around!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#36]
It really depends what you want out of the dog. Here is my bitch, her name is Ella Von Lagger Wall, she is 1 year old. She came from an east german working blood line. I am currently getting her trained for Schutzhund I. Just an FYI if you do get a working dog they do require some attenton. I wasn't working her as much as I should of when she was younger and she ate everything in our back yard including the hot tub cover and the low voltage lights. But with that said NO ONE is comming in the yard that we don't want there, and my two year old can shove his fist in her mouth and beat her with a stick and all she does is lick him.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
They're good dogs extremely loyal and pretty territorial. Easy to train and very smart. Both of mine follow me around the yard while doing yard work and will let me know if someone approaches. Plus they keep the yard clear of rabbits, snakes, and even moles. I've never had problems with them being aggressive toward other people, but most of it seems to be my attitude toward the person.

They do require a lot of exercise they get about a hour  a day. And like other people said, you will get knocked about as they get older.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/The%20Dogs/Jughead4.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/The%20Dogs/Katie2.jpg

i think i want to steal Jughead.  awesome looking dog.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Beautiful dogs!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#39]
German Shepards are the best dog you can but, perios! My dog use to wlk me onto the bus when I was little when I would go to shcool in the morning and make sure I got on safe and then he would get off the bus and go back to the house.

Personally if you live in town you shouldn't have a large pet or any pet besides a cat becuase it is not fair for the animal. I hate it when people kennel thier animals all day and then complain about them being hyper or having lots of energy, duh what can you expect. Like any other dog they will have lots of energy.

I lived on a farm my whole life as a kid, and now that I got married and am just doing a seasonal job right now while I am applying for a permanent job so we have to live in a small town. I hate living in any town and therefore I will not get a pet or bring my horses to Mt, until after I get a permanent job and live in the country.

Dogs are not made to be kenneled all day and should have lots of space to run.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
From my experience with one, the following could be problems:
-No puppy personality test could be a problem if the dog is dominant.
-No guarantees on the hips could be a problem. Does the dog come with X-rays?
-German shepherds play rough and have a high pain threshold. Be prepared for the occasional bruise and black eye
-German shepherds shed (alot) all year.
-My dog demands exercise. He will go banannas without regular exercise.
-They learn fast once they realize who is in charge.

Ditto.

Had 4 over the last, 18 or so years (three raised from pups, one adult given to us by an owner who couldn't handle the dog anymore, but it turned out to be people-shy so we gave it to someone who just wanted a pet).

None of them have jumped up, period.  Sometimes we play rough though, but its all in fun.  But they know not to jump up.  

The hardest thing about training them, is training the owners.  They need to know that you're the alpha-male in this pack.

A realtor was showing a client around and got lost, accidently came to our farm and drove on the driveway a few months ago.  The dog did quite a bit of chewing on thier plastic bumper  Since then he's stayed in the kennel, on a chain, or in the house during most of the daytime

He's asleep in the foyer right now.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
 Heidi would pretend to be asleep, and when the bluejays would swoop down to peck her on the head, she'd grab them out of the air, pile up the bodies and lay on top of them so the other jays did not see.  Then lay in wait again pretending to sleep.

One of mine did the same thing!!  Not with birds though.  

When he was a puppy, there was no way he could catch a cat.  So he would just lie still, and the cats would come closer to him, and...well you know what they say about curiosity and cats  Our driveway was mostly gravel with concrete near the house.  So he started doing this with people and cars too.  No matter what the stranger, he would just sit and watch calmly if they were on the gravel, but as soon as thier car hit the concrete he would go apeshit.  

We have goats and cows, and occasionally they will run back and forth along the fence.  I think, they think, they are herding them.  On occasion, we have left the gate open accidently with him loose, and he just sits at the open gate like a sentry.  I wonder what he would do if we put him in the pasture but I'm afraid it might be bad
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Her name is Roxanne or "Roxy"
Pure bread, papered, S-II in tracking and obedience.

This is her just before my last backpacking trip a week ago.

This is her pack !

This is at camp, ah rest, after a long day hiking in the mountains.  She is a great trail dog.

This an example of the location we spent the night.

Roxy is not sure about what to do with the trout she see's in the water yet, but she wants to jump in and play with them, if she just could figure out how.  By the by,  The water is very cold snow run-off.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#43]
This is our 7 month old (at the time, she's now 8 months) female GSD, "Nikki". We got her in mid-summer after loosing our Dobie last year. She's a stick of dyno-mite for sure!! She's in obedience training and doing very well. Nothing gets by her......nothing!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#44]
This picture says it all
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Here's mine.  He is a great dog!  I can't say anything about him really that hasn't already been said.

+1 on not getting along with other dogs though.....he gets very jealous of them too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#46]
You will save yourself THOUSANDS of dollars by spending a few hundred more up front for a good specimen
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Her name is Roxanne or "Roxy"
Pure bread, papered, S-II in tracking and obedience.

This is her just before my last backpacking trip a week ago.
img154.imageshack.us/img154/4951/1141437600x4504ew.jpg

This is her pack !
img154.imageshack.us/img154/1854/1141440600x4508ls.jpg

This is at camp, ah rest, after a long day hiking in the mountains.  She is a great trail dog.
img154.imageshack.us/img154/3508/1141452600x4509zs.jpg

This an example of the location we spent the night.
img391.imageshack.us/img391/381/1141454600x4504sb.jpg

Roxy is not sure about what to do with the trout she see's in the water yet, but she wants to jump in and play with them, if she just could figure out how.  By the by,  The water is very cold snow run-off.
img154.imageshack.us/img154/6149/1141458600x4501me.jpg

Awsome GSD and excelent pics thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/The%20Dogs/Jughead4.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GTOJudge885/The%20Dogs/Katie2.jpg

i think i want to steal Jughead.  awesome looking dog.

He's pretty frikkin smart. In the winter when we get snow drifts they like to hide in 'em and ambush each other or me

ETA: He's also pretty big, about 120-130lbs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#49]

I always asked my wife when it comes to GSD’s shedding, “I wonder what the K9 cops do wearing those blue or black uniforms!” Your cruiser must be full of hair flying around!

Thanks.  To answer your question, it is unbelievable how much hair builds up in our patrol units.  If you think about it maybe not, the K9 spends approximately 40 hours per week in a space that is the width of a car and 4 feet wide.  If you don't vaccuum out the back at least twice per month it gets really hairy and stinky.  We were the only units authorized to have the units detailed inside at car wash on the City dime.  That was only approved after a supervisor rode in the unit on a 'ride along' and couldn't stand the smell.  Funny, I didn't even notice it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#50]
they will run back and forth along the fence. I think, they think, they are herding them.

When I was in high school I had to go bring a package to one of my mother's friends.  I parked out on the street.  I stepped out of the car and began walking to the front door.  Two shepherd came around the side of the house, and they positioned themselves on each side of me about 10' away.  They "escorted" me to the front door.  I went in, took care of business there, and when I left, a few feet out of the front door the dogs again escorted me back to the car.  About 10' from the street they each sat and watched me as I got back in the car.  As I drove away they turned and went back to the house.

I later found they were not trained to do that.  They just did.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top