Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 6:18:52 AM EDT
Just heard on local radio about how the city of Miami, OK rallied together to obtain and prepare shelter, clothing and food to house 40 people in their community. They sent a bus down to the Astro Dome to pick up anyone interested in a place to stay. The bus came back EMPTY. Seems no one wanted to move that far away from LA. The community is dumbfounded at the rejection of their offer to help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Seems no one wanted to move that far away from LA home.

If my change reflects the refugee's sentiments, then I'd be completely understanding of their views on the matter.

That said, 80 families were flown out to San Diego late last week.  That's even farther.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I think many of those people have plans of not returning to the NOLA most because there is nothing for them to come back to, and plan to settle down on where they land somewhere else outside of the hurricane zone, so of course they will refuse Miami. Miami is still hurricane country.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
This being said, several of those in NO do not want to leave their homes even with water lapping their feet.

Beginning to hear talk that the US Marines could be called to "forcefully evacuate" remaining residents.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Same thing happened with a bus from MN.    It's coming back pretty much empty.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think many of those people have plans of not returning to the NOLA most because there is nothing for them to come back to, and plan to settle down on where they land somewhere else outside of the hurricane zone, so of course they will refuse Miami. Miami is still hurricane country.

Miami, OKLAHOMA

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By :

Quoted:

Miami, OK

Trade hurricanes for tornadoes?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By :

Quoted:

Miami, OK

Trade hurricanes for tornadoes?

In a second.    A tornado comes with less warning, to be sure, but it doesn't flood everything for miles around and only lasts a few (perhaps tens) of minutes in most cases.   The swath of destruction is pretty well confined in comparison to a hurricane as well.

Someone else around here accurately characterized a hurricance as a F3 tornado the size of the state of Iowa....

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Same thing happened with a bus from MN.    It's coming back pretty much empty.  

Yeah but it's cold here half the year.  That's a pretty harsh change for someone used to the weather in NOLA.  

Of course we do have the best welfare system in the country.  We're known for it.  I'm surprised no one jumped on the opportunity to enjoy having Minnesota coddle them.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
You gotta leave a trail of checks and handouts.  They'll follow that right onto the bus.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Dunno. Have you ever been to Miami OK?    I think I'd stay in Houston as well........
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe they got a better deal on a  **** room at PriceLine.com
Pete
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top