Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/5/2005 8:04:46 PM EDT
During my high school years my sister was a huge Led Zeppelin fan, me on the other hand despised it, probably due to the fact that it was my sister who liked it and they seemed so old. So 2-3 years go by, now I'm in college, my parents went through a divorce, everything has changed and it just hit me like a train.

It started with me listening to a clip of Stairway to Heaven backwards and then I listened to it forwards and was captured by mystery in the lyrics and the emotion and their sound. So I Googled a little bit found a list of some people's views on their top hits, downloaded them and a few months later and about 50-60 dollars later friends think I'm a fanatic. I guess there sound is just perfect for this time in my life.

I guess most of it is just the emotion captured in all of their songs. My girlfriend finds me completely hopeless, most of my friends appreciate their music and the store's soundtrack has basically become the complete Zeppelin discography and I get many compliments on this and my one T-shirt I bought.

So does it sounds like an obsession or just a phase?

Any other Zep heads out there?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Zeppelin!

Just heard "Hey Hey What Can I Do?" and it still sounds as good as it always has.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
When the levee breaks, we will have no place to go....

Sorry, just too apropos...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Immigrant Song.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my favs.  I got to see Plant and Page in '94.  Best show I have ever seen and I have seen alot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah me and my friends just got done watching the Led Zeppelin DVD. The 79 performance at Knebworth (I think) where he's calling for the crowd to sing over and over, it gradually just becomes a roar.

Then they all come out and bow and Plant thanks them for 11 years. It gives me goosebumps. Amazing guys.

I also love Immigrant Song
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When the levee breaks, we will have no place to go....

Sorry, just too apropos...

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move (to Texas.)

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been a Zep head since at least 1970.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
This Zeppelin?

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This Zeppelin?

www.edwardsamuels.com/illustratedstory/chapter%208/hindenburg.jpg

No this Zeppelin.

Also a huge one in my book "Houses of the Holy," I couldn't imagine that song live.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Big Led Zepplin fan. Have the whole discography, the DVD's, shirts, whole shebang. Fantastic music.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Immigrant Song.

Ask and ye shall recieve !

Immigrant Song

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw them at the Fillmore West back in 69' or 70'.......I think.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Led Zeppelin is one of my favorites.

Going to California, The Rover, Kasmir...

Can't just pick one
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Richard Cole's book "Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored" is a must read.

If you have Netflix then you should watch these:

Led Zeppelin: Inside Led Zeppelin 1968-1972 (2005)

Led Zeppelin (2-Disc Series) (2003)
concert footage culled from London's Royal Albert Hall in January 1970, London's Earls Court in May 1975, Knebworth in August 1979 and Madison Square Garden in July 1973

Led Zeppelin: Music Box Biographical Collection (2005)

This unauthorized documentary takes a comprehensive look at the hardest, most hedonistic band in rock 'n' roll history, a supergroup that still influences legions of musicians. Rarely seen archival footage captures Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham at the height of their popularity, redefining the word "excess" with hard living -- and even harder drinking.
Releases on DVD Oct 04, 2005

A to Zeppelin: The Unauthorized Story of Led Zeppelin (2004)

If you can, try get the various Zep bootleg concert CD's.
The sound quality is not always there but you get to hear them play a lot of the cover songs that never made it to their albums or airplay.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Before them or since, there's never been a band like Zeppelin.  Haunting stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thread #1,315 on "Who likes Led Zeppelin."

So ?   Nobody made you click on it.....  I fail to see the problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well I've been outta the loop here at ARFCOM since I started college and this thread was prompted by my girlfriend's comment that I have taken it too far. I was just seeing how people here felt.

BTW just now did a search and only found one other thread with "Zeppelin" or "Led Zeppelin" in the title.

As far as my "research" into this band so far the only real reference I've used is the Led Zeppelin DVD and the Hammer of the Gods book by Steven Davis.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol it's amazing how many people have felt the power of Led Zeppelin. I guess now I'm finally realize how many people really enjoyed their music, seems like all of us who have really taken the time to listen have come away "touched," not sure if that's the right word but it works for me.

Edit: I'm heading off to bed, first classes of the quarter tomorrow morning. It's always nice to have one's feelings validated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]
To understand Zeps music you have to go to where they based their music.

When The Levee Breaks
by Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie

With his wife Memphis Minnie on lead guitar, Joe McCoy laid down this seminal cut which much later became a hit for Led Zeppelin. A true folk blues original, this song sounds as sweet today as it did in 1929.

www.archive.org/download/Kansas_Joe_Memphis_Minnie-When_Levee_Breaks/Kansas_Joe_and_Memphis_Minnie-When_the_Levee_Breaks.mp3

And if you are a Zep fan (well a Page fan) then you should check out The Yardbirds with Jimmy Page.

Finally, 99.9% of the shit-assed rap-crap sampler non-talented fucktards have stolen the drum sounds of John Bonham and the bass of John Paul Jones.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Before them or since, there's never been a band like Zeppelin.  Haunting stuff.

+1

I extremely doubt we will see a band like that again considering today's music business and apparent infatuation with fucking rappers who have no fucking talent.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I like Led Zeppelin and consider the group to be among the best of all time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#25]
The Queen of Light took her bow,
and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom
and walked the night alone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear
How years ago in days of old when magic filled the air
'twas in the darkest depths of Mordor, mm-I met a girl so fair
but Gollum and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her
her, her, yeah, yeah, and ain't nothin' I can do, no
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
No Quarter
In My Time of Dying
Ten Years Gone

The list goes on and on...One of the great things about Led Zeppelin, IMHO at least, is that they have such a broad range of sound. They can literally rock your balls off with songs like "Bring It on Home", they can get down and funky with "Lemon Song", or they can make ya sit back and think with songs like "Over The Hills And Far Away".
Songs like "Stairway To Heaven", "Black Dog", and "Rock & Roll" are great songs, but, they get over played and Led Zep has soooo many more songs that are, (ill probably get smacked for this), MUCH better than that.

I always tell myself that if I ever get stranded on a deserted island with a solar powered CD player and I could only have ONE album which would it be...Led Zeppelin II. It has it all. Beautiful ballads, blues, and rock all rolled into one of the greatest albums ever.

Just my .02

ETA:

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missing...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the dvd "how the west was won' i think it's called. That got me listening to them, and i like them now. My fav song on the dvd is "trampled underfoot".
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Immigrant Song.

Ask and ye shall recieve !

Immigrant Song

Thanks, now I will forever have that association.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Achilles Last Stand
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#32]

"the lunatics are in my head"

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]
LMAO-watched it three times
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#34]
In the days of my youth, I saw Led Zeppelin perform their first four albums live.  The first performance was on the site of the New York World's Fair in the summer of 1968 or 1969 (I can't remember ).  After that, the performances were at Madison Square Garden.  

I remember having a seat looking straight down on John Bonham playing an extended drum solo with his bare hands (no drum sticks) - way cool for its day.  I remember seeing Jimmy Paige banging the strings (playing) of his guitar with a bow, also cool as I had no idea how that got that particular sound we all heard on the album.  

On the train ride home from Led Zeppelin III, I met a girl so fair.  We went out a few times, had an affair and had good times, bad times.  It only took a couple of days till she was rid of me.  (honest!)

I have all the ALBUMS (as in black vinyl discs, yes, I still have a functioning turntable) but only listen to the "cleaner" CD versions.

If there's a bad number on their first album, I haven't found it yet.

These days, my favorite things about Zeppelin are the numerous references to Tolkien's works which includes, of course, everyone's favorite, "Stairway To Heaven".  I also like the simpler love songs such as, "Thank You".

Enjoy, everyone - BRING IT ON HOME!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Achilles Last Stand right now.

Every one of their songs is my favorite Zepp song.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Inglewood Forum, June 1977.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Stairway to Heaven still gives me the chills.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#38]
QUICK!!! Who is Sandy Denny?

No google ya cheaters!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No google ya cheaters!

Helped write Battle of Evermore, died in car accident late 70's. Was given own 'symbol'.

If its who Im thinking of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No google ya cheaters!

Helped write Battle of Evermore, died in car accident late 70's. Was given own 'symbol'.

If its who Im thinking of.

Yep

ETA: She is also the female vocals on battle of evermore
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:55:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Zep Head?

I've always heard the term Led Head.

Either way, I am a fan of the Zeppelin.

Kashmir is t3h rawk.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:19:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The Queen of Light took her bow,
and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom
and walked the night alone.

It's lyrics like those in "Battle of Evermore" that really captured me, then I got deeper and deeper.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No google ya cheaters!

Song backup vocals for Plant in Battle of Evermore, was a famous British folk singer.

That's as much as I know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Big fan. Saw them live, twice in the 70's. I met Jimmy page in 1984 when the was playing with
The Firm. It was 11 AM and he was already drunk of his arse. What a let down.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#45]
when my "weed" habit ended so did my Zep
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#46]
one of my first albums, well 8-tracks (circa 1977), was Led Zep 4. "When the levee breaks" was/is an awesome hit, as was "Black dog", "Misty mountain hop", "Battle of Evermore"  "Rock and roll" and Stairway.

Speaking of older groups I remember a slightly obscure album  that I came across at  a garage sale. It was group named "Ram Jam". The only song I remember is "Black Betty". They did not seem to get much air play down here in Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I have about every song they ever made on MP3 ...  A wonderful collection.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
when my "weed" habit ended so did my Zep

when my "weed" habit ended began so did my Zep

LOL
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Ah, the memories...

Grew up listening to Led Zepplin. Never get tired of listening to their music. Their sound was truely unique and way ahead of it's time.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:58:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Zeppelin Rules! you need to see The Song Remains the Same on DVD, it will blow you away.

Mobydick
Gallowspole

don't forget to get UnLedded
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top