Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 4:29:31 PM EDT
I am tired of the rising costs, the outrageous cost for a soda and popcorn, the 20 minutes of advertisement and the worst part crappy movies.  I would rather watch at home then shell out 7.50 for a ticket, 3 bucks for a soda and 3 bucks for popcorn.  I would rather buy the DVD and watch it on my own bigscreen and home stereo.

What about you guys?

Max
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I useally hit a movie every weekend
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I still go to the movie theater downtown.

Just tell the guy at the door the password and they'll let you in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I do all the time.

Only costs $5.50 to see a movie here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I go occasionally, depends if it is a movie I really want to see or not. Movies come out on DVD about 90 days after they are in the theater now. So I will usually wait until they come out on DVD now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a franchise here called "Cinema Cafe"  Restaurant + movies.  Makes going to the movies much nicer.  The new one in Hampton, VA shows first runs (The others were dollar theaters, second runs, etc.)  Decent food too, plus a fully stocked bar.  Reasonable prices too (like any other chain restaurant really, ~$7 burgers, etc. The non-alcoholic drinks are well over priced I think it's $2.50 for iced tea, but free refills) I like hitting the matinées' though.  I'd much rather pay $4.50 instead of $7. I took the step son (to be) to one today.  He loves it.  Plus, when all the kids are eating, they don't make too much noise :)  I've seen two kids movies there and it's been one of the quietest theaters I've been to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe 2-3 times a year
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Movies... movies, not ringing a bell.. oh, waitaminute!

Is that the thing where you pay most of a Hamilton to sit in dark room with a sticky floor and watch a film while rude little fucks talk on their cell phones, bullshit with their buddies, and generally do everything except watch the damn thing?   Let's not forget the half-hour of commercials beforehand -- nothing like watching a has-been hawk Pontiacs with the volume turned up so loud I think I feel my brain running out my ears.

If you decide you're feeling hungry or thirsty, be prepared to undergo a credit check to finance your purchase at the snackbar.

Once the main feature is finally upon you, you can see the ending a mile away and know who the killer is after the first fifteen minutes.  The jokes are tired and threadbare and you can recite them in your head before the character does.  Every time the girl looks in a mirror you know there's going to be someone behind her when she turns around.  

If you think you have seen the movie before it's probably because it's either a sequel or a poorly treated remake of a TV show or earlier GOOD movie.

And Hollywood wonders why they're in a slump?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I go about a couple times a month.  Girl I'm seeing is a big movie buff like me, so it's always a good date option if we just want to keep it low key for the night.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
It's been a while.  Movies nowadays really don't seem to be worth the money I have to shell out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to hardly ever go, but this summer I saw a crap-load of movies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll preview the movie at home(thanks interweb!) and if I like it, I'll go see it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1

There's a local theater that shows new releases for $2.  I can deal with that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Serenity will be the only movie I see in the theater this year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I take my daughter , she loves it.Haven't been to an adult oriented movie in years though. Rather spend the money and buy the dvd then I can watch it when and as often as I want.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel some movies should be supported by us seeing them at the theater and some movies are really made to be seen on the big screen; if I see them first on the big screen I can better visualize how it should look when I watch it on the boob tube.

Wife and I just saw The Great Raid.  Not a great movie, but very good.  Went to economy show on a Friday.  There was one other older couple watching the show with us.  I'd hoped more Americans would go to see it.  Too much revision of history is taking place and this movie is very close to one of the stories told in Ghost Soldiers.  "Did we really have to drop the bomb on those poor people?"  Damned right!

SPR was pretty impressive on the big screen.  Same dude in Castaway; some great visuals on the big screen even if the movie wasn't that great.

The last local drive in closed last year.  Pretty much a thing of the past around here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

At least, this weekend three.

The art houses seem to have better audiences and our Century theatre doesn't have commercials.

For me a DVD at home just isn't the same.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Alamo Drafthouse

Get a steak, cold beer, and more mature and quiet [key part for me and GF] crowd than the usual movie complex...  Plus, usually have some great indy films

What's not to love?

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

For me a DVD at home just isn't the same.

+1
go to a matinee,
you can't go two hours without a snack?
It's like 6 bux, big deal.

Hell, go to a regular show and it's only 8-10 bux.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Nearly every actor in Hollywood has been black listed by me.  Nope, I won't go.  Hell, I even check to see who's doing the voices for animated movies.  The Hollywood fuckers aren't getting a dime of my money.  I know it's not right, but I truly hate them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate going to the theatre to face all the ringing phones and the babies in the middle of the movie I paid $7 to see
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It's been a while.  Movies nowadays really don't seem to be worth the money I have to shell out.

+1

I haven't seen any good movies in theaters these days...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I still go. Not expensive around here, comfortable seats, CLEAN and most are well behaved. No commercials, just trailers.
I feel sorry for the rest of you that have rude assholes and filthy theatres.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#25]
i buy new releases from someguy at the gas station when i fill up... really ...

4 for 10 bucks... not to bad..

just finished watching skeleton key and red eye ...  

hmm you do see people walking around in front o the camera... but i can live with that....  

eta
skeleton key = good/ok
red eye  =  not good
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]
We have a local theater that only charges $3.50 for adult tickets. Not bad...but the movies sometimes are a little late in gettting here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I do.

But it must be a movie I KNOW will be good and want to see.

Big screen, overpriced popcorn and cokes are all part of the "experience."

I don't mind, it's how I choose to spend my cash.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I quit going.  I'm tired of that Regal Cinemas bullshit R-Rated commercial they call "The Twenty." Took my 8yo son to see Batman Begins, had to sit thru that crap beforehand, the commercial for "Wanted" showed tits and ass, just unacceptable.

Then, you always have some "undocumented" mom and pop with 10 kids at an R-rated movie.  Saw such a family take 3 fucking infants in with them to see Triple X with Vin Diesel.  Dammit, hire a babysitter and show some class.  Those infants are probably deaf now and my taxes will pay their future Social Security Disability benefits.

And, the local cinema decided to disallow CCW because, in the moronager's words, "it might fall out of the holster, hit the ground, and go off, and then Regal would be liable."  I asked her how she felt about being liable if Osama and crew showed up and I had no gat and got wasted when I coulda saved her customers' asses.  Her response was a blank stare and drool, followed by "ibbity ibbity ibbity..."
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, movie theaters are getting really expensive.  I took my GF to one last week and for two tickets and some popcorn and sodas it was almost $25.  That's why I only got once every few months or so.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]
The places here are pretty clean , they screen a warning and announce on the PA to turn off your phone and if the is a complaint about you no questions asked no argueing you are gone
I have seen at least a dozen people asked to leave and once the cops drug a dude out ( everybody a free movie  pass after that one )
Also go out to eat first  then see the 9:xx movie your not hungrey and the kid ration is 0
I will never go to a matineeagain with all the screaming fucking kids
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top