Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 3:51:17 PM EDT
ok so my win xp pro machine i use for gaming has been off for about a week. i turn it on, and bam there is a problem. Its POSTs fine, no errors are reported but it starts to load windows and it either just stays on the loading screen and goes no further or it reboots. same goes for safe mode, itll get to the screen where it loads all the drivers and then reboots after agp440.dll.

using the win xp cd as a boot disk i can get to the dos prompt under the recovery system and have very limited use. i ran scandsk and it says there is some errors on disk but nothing is specified. i think there is some bad file(s) or hard drive problem but dont know what to do. the only error i got was before i ran chkdisk was when i ran the DIR commmand on C:
said something about a problem emnnumiration or something. now im thinking its a bad file or a virus because when i swithed to D: which is a partition on the same physical disk DIR worked fine and there where no errors.

i could try reinstalling XP but id lose a ton of crap. would the fixboot command help? any advice?

only other thing i can think of is to buy a new harddrive, install windows on that as my primary drive and try to salvage whats on the old drive

thanks in advanced
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top