Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 3:28:13 PM EDT
Opinions on an Aimpoint or an Eotech on a "combat" shotgun, ie: Remington 870, 11-87, Benelli M1, Nova.

Worthwhile?  Or worthless?

Have a good one.

Stainless
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not worth the money in my opinion.

All though I did see an 870 today that had a Hakko Tacpoint on it.  It may be worth $100
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the ghost rings sights on my Benelli M1, can't imagine anything better really.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I moved my holosite over to my  mossberg, only shotgun i have that is drilled and tapped , after i got aACOG for my AR
I think it works pretty excellent on turkeys
I find it also works great  on long crossing geese
all in all it worked much better than i expected
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a spare Aimpoint, so got a Knights RAS for the 870.  It's a cool setup, great for home defense shotty.  Of course, the aimpoint is worth more than the 870.... honestly tough to justify, unless you just have a spare....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a EoTech on this one. What is cool about it is that when you want to go long range with some slugs the sight is great. When turned off, at close range all you need to do is look thru the window and see your target and shoot. I have not had the chance to run a COF with it yet. But just for HD I would not have one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#7]
BIG waste 'o money IMO.  I'm pretty sure I could hit something close range with my eye's closed.  Looks cool though...wish I had your money to spend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
'Combat' shotgun, unless you've got a rifled barrel and are using slugs, it's relatively useless. Rapid engagement/snapshots on paper targets (silhouette), I've no problems getting accurate hits (COM or  head) out to 50 yards, and am acceptable (COM hits) out to 100 - that's with a mossberg 500 presuader with Hogue rubberized stock and just the beadsight that comes on the 18" cylinder-bore barrel, and crappy eyesight.

Spend the money on comfortable furniture and/or (upgrade?) a better shotgun. In terms of modding a shotgun, I think the only modification I MIGHT want is to get a speedloading kit for when I don't have the time to reload manually from a shotshell carrier (pouch, bandoleer, etc.)

Don't get be wrong, a red-dot on a shotty looks REALLY cool, and has a ton of novelty value, but at the distances at which a shotgun is used (well inside of 100 yards), I actually prefer a glow in the dark bead, as to keep my field of view as open as possible (same goes for paintball [which is the closest I've come to shooting targets that shoot back] when playing indoors [shooting inside of 10 yards], but I leave my red-dot on because I need pinpoint accuracy, since I can't just shoot through obstacles and have to hit that one inch of the careless idiot that's sticking out from the side).
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I was hitting a 300 yard target with it. the target was the size ofa garbage can lid. I have a witness.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I go hunting every year with a guy who kills deer with an 870 and aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was hitting a 300 yard target with it. the target was the size ofa garbage can lid. I have a witness.

Very likely, but I'd much rather have a rifle if I'm going to be taking 300 yard shots.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very likely, but I'd much rather have a rifle if I'm going to be taking 300 yard shots.

All ready have a few of those. The long range stuff was just to see what we could do with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's pics of my 870 with Knights RAS, Aimpoint & a Knoxx recoil reducing folding stock:

Folded it's very compact:

Extended it's a lot more comfortable than it looks:

The Knoxx really tames the recoil of the buckshot & slug, which are normaly fairly brutal from a pistol grip.  I'm not a big guy, the Knoxx makes 12 gauge buckshot feel like 20 gauge #8.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a spare atn red dot so i tossed it on my Mossy
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]
works ok on birds, unless ya are doing close fast moving crossing shots.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a red dot on my 870 SPS - Deer Gun.  On a close combat - Katrina Gun - with buckshot, I'd pass on a red dot.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I consider both the RED Dot and the Shotgun useless!  GO FOR IT!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Close in dots are slower than a fiber optic bead with shot and buck. 50+ yards out with slugs they start having a big advantage. By 75+ yards that advatage becomes huge.

The biggest problem with dots at close targets is the dot is fairly high above the barrel and it just takes your eye longer to pick it up than it does just sighting over the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one on my deer shotgun but its pretty much useless for general small game and bird hunting at least IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top