Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 2:27:54 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I am in Natchez, Mississippi today to begin training with my uncle to take catastrophe claims in relation to Hurricane Katrina.

If anyone has a GMail account they would be willing to give me I would appreciate it. It would allow me to keep all my claim work in one spot rather than trying to use my home account which is at its size limits.

If I can I'll try and post some pictures as we work closer to NOLA. The only problems we have seen has been here in Natchez, you are limited to filling your vehicle or your gas can, not both.

Thanks

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
They opened it up ... you don't need invites anymore, just go create an account.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
IM me your email address, and I'll send you an invite.  I have plenty ;)

Nevermind, I didn't know they opened it up.  I guess with their new messenger, and having to have a Gmail account... you had to be able to get one without an invite.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
hmm, I have Gmail if you need an invite.  I had to get an invite for mine and that was like, last week.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Just something to think about, for any use you may need, that involves personal/confidential information.

www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/03/google_mail_is_evil_privacy/

I'd highly suggest using a good strong encryption method, to protect your information...  Not really possible with Gmail, unless you only sent compressed files (.zip/.rar/.ace/etc)

If you're only planning on using it for your own communication needs, like emailing your family, etc. it'd be more than adequate...

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just something to think about, for any use you may need, that involves personal/confidential information.

I'd highly suggest using a good strong encryption method, to protect your information...  Not really possible with Gmail, unless you only sent compressed files (.zip/.rar/.ace/etc)

If you're only planning on using it for your own communication needs, like emailing your family, etc. it'd be more than adequate...

Can you elaborate for the PC ignorant?

Thanks.

-Justin
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
hmm, I have Gmail if you need an invite.  I had to get an invite for mine and that was like, last week.  

Bob I would appreciate the invite. I looked for access but could not find it.

96Ag
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

I am in Natchez, Mississippi today to begin training with my uncle to take catastrophe claims in relation to Hurricane Katrina.

If anyone has a GMail account they would be willing to give me I would appreciate it. It would allow me to keep all my claim work in one spot rather than trying to use my home account which is at its size limits.

If I can I'll try and post some pictures as we work closer to NOLA. The only problems we have seen has been here in Natchez, you are limited to filling your vehicle or your gas can, not both.

Thanks

96Ag

IM me your regular email address and I will send you an invite.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you elaborate for the PC ignorant?

Thanks.

-Justin

Google (Gmail) has their servers "read" the content of each and every email to show you links to "things you may be interested in" when you sign in and read it yourself... Typical marketing stuff, for free email services... They have to pay for the resources somehow, and advertising is an easy way...

This is pretty much no different than your nosy neighbor steaming open your mail and seeing what juicy bits it contains... Then saying "Hey, CVS has a sale on big rubber dicks, and I saw that your girlfriend mentioned she'd like you to use one on her, in that letter"  

Ohh, AND they also SAVE a copy of every single email & attachment you sent/recieve via Gmail.

Even AFTER you have deleted it......  You only THINK you deleted it.  It's still there, and they don't deny they do it.

If nothing else, this is a major invasion of privacy, even if it is only a machine, but unfortunately, you're not going to get privacy from a free email provider, period... Tread at your own peril, so to speak.

If your emails contain sensitive and/or private information like say, legal contracts, intellectual property, or even your credit card # if you were stupid enough to email that, they will theoretically keep a copy of that 'forever' by their own admission.....

Not sure if that's what you were asking for an explanation FOR, but that's it, in a nutshell....

Basically do not expect any modicum of privacy, for sensitive information, from any free email service.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used Gmail for a while, and I like it.

I know a lot of shit gets retained, but I don't use it for sensitive stuff, like account information and billing emails from accounts and such (and I recommend NOT using ANY web based email service for sensitive stuff).    Basically, the stuff I get on my Gmail account, I don't really care much if Google uses it to throw up ads.   In fact, recently, I found a great parts site for Porsche parts because it showed me some links based on an email I got.  

Just be careful with what you use it for, the kind of emails you receive and send, and you'll be fine.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top