Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2005 1:58:29 PM EDT
Just got back from IKEA, where I picked up a lamp for my daughter's bedroom. There's lots of cheap stuff there that I wouldn't look at, but some good stuff too. Lots of IKEA stuff in the DOW hizzouse. What say the hive mind?
Poll to follow.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have thier shelving units of 2 different styles in my house and garage.
Lots of Ikea kitchen stuff.
Ikea is sort of like a really good gun store, every time I go, I walk out with ALOT more than I went for.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of chemicals are released when that stuff is in a house fire?

I bought there once based on a promise they would be getting the shelf doors we wanted, "next week".

No such luck, they hadn't arrived 3 weeks later and the person who made the promise transferred to another store somewhere, the manager wouldn't do a thing to help us.  Oh, yeah, on another unit, the bottom drawer  was binding.  Again, no help from the manager.  Their corporate web site had no "contact us",  or even a HQ address.    We'll never go back.   Plus their crapboard stuff is way heavy compared to real wood.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
particle board sucks
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been to only one and was impressed, lots of stuff there.  I did buy some, but I was on a business trip to ORD and couldn't bring much back.  I visited the store in Schaumberg.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
particle board sucks

I agree wholeheartedly, won't buy anything particle board from anybody. I grew up with that garbage and refuse to inflict it on my family.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]

I dont buy particle board products either. I only buy the hardwood shelves.
The kitchen stuff, stainless pans, kid's plastic dinnerware, those sort of things.
My son's crib was thier nifty convertible setup, and lasted til he was 5, when he outgrew it.
It is pine, I believe. Danged durable, and well thought out.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just got back from IKEA, where I picked up a lamp for my daughter's bedroom. There's lots of cheap stuff there that I wouldn't look at, but some good stuff too. Lots of IKEA stuff in the DOW hizzouse. What say the hive mind?
Poll to follow.

I find it hit and miss in terms of quality.
5 or 6 yrs back, DFD got new white furniture from Ikea....dresser, desk, bookshelf...
The dresser fell apart after , at most, a couple of years....drawers began to break...ball bearing from the slides began falling out.....HAD to replace it when some drawers stopped opening all together.  She still has the bookshelf and the desk.  The desk is in OK shape still sturdy in terms of using it but a little shakey IMO to move..  The bookshelf is in GREAT shape, wouldnt hesitate to buy another.
We also bought her a cheapy desk chair there.....in better shape then my expensive one.....
We just bought DFS a small dresser there....because he needed one and we consider it disposable....it was cheap and we only need it short term.....no ball bearing in the slides at all.
Other purchases there include replacement pillows for the couch....a bit soft but they work...was more of a for looks thing.....
Straws LOL  2 big containers of straws for $2  
Tea light candles....cheap and they light, what more could you ask for?

I do inspect the stuff really carefully after the first dresser disaster and have noticed some stuff that is not real sturdy.....just  pay good attention to what you buy.

OH and dont expect alot of customer service, help yourself in the warehouse, if its not there dont expect an answer as to when it might be....

Mrs
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
They seem to be designed to fail after a couple of years, a built-in, engineered failure.  Somone that designed for IKEA was shopping where I was shopping for furniture told the manager that, lol wouldn't even buy IKEA stuff himself.

Once I tried to order a file cabinet, it was $200 something.  IKEA wanted to charge me $220 for shipping and handling  I wrote them a nasty email and cancelled it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not metrosexual enough to shop there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Everything they sell seems to go well with concrete and asphalt. Since I have neither, I don't shop there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
In my opinion IKEA's stuff looks like college furniture...so if you're decorating your dorm or apartment it's perfect.  It was nice in college, b/c the furniture was pretty much disposable and the price made that even easier.  

The last time I went to IKEA, I wanted to buy some cheap lamps to go in my card room...I got what I paid for...the welds in the lamp base snapped after about a week.  

*edit*  Forgot to add....the only thing I do like from IKEA is the food.  I like the cod roe, cod roe paste, and the meatballs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They seem to be designed to fail after a couple of years, a built-in, engineered failure.  Somone that designed for IKEA was shopping where I was shopping for furniture told the manager that, lol wouldn't even buy IKEA stuff himself.

Once I tried to order a file cabinet, it was $200 something.  IKEA wanted to charge me $220 for shipping and handling  I wrote them a nasty email and cancelled it.

Spoken like someone who's never even been in an IKEA store.  Their furniture is just as good or better that anyone's.

By the way....I dont think they have a $200 file cabinet.  I've had IKEA furniture for years and years and their stuff is rock-solid....so take the hearsay elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never heard of IKEA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
My TV stand and kids beds are from IKEA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I live south of Atlanta and would have to go to midtown just to go to the only one here so I'd say no, you wont find me in one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've never heard of IKEA.

www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#18]
If you ever get a chance to the see the biography (it was on Discovery Times channel a while back) of Ingvar Kamprad who founded Ikea, I strongly suggest you watch.

The guy is one of the truest capitalist/free market success stories ever.  He's also the richest man in the world because of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got back from the Pittsburgh IKEA. Used to shop there alot when I was home (Elizabeth, NJ) and during my undergraduate years (White Marsh, MD). You definitely have to look things over carefull - some stuff sucks but alot of what I have boughten was inexpensive and has lasted a good while.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never been to an IKEA...so I really have no idea what the hell they sell.

But, my rule for buying furniture is that hardwood laminates are acceptable as long as build quality is okay.

Buying solid hardwood furniture will cost you, but worth it in the long run so long as it is well built.

What is to be avoided at all costs is particle board with a vinyl laminate of some sort.  It is not worth it, and will look like crap inside of a year.

Hit the local newspaper classifieds.  Some amazing bargains can be found.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
The one in Chandler AZ used to have a "no weapons" policy... not sure if it still does, as I chose not to go back. What about elsewhere ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spoken like someone who's never even been in an IKEA store.  Their furniture is just as good or better that anyone's.

By the way....I dont think they have a $200 file cabinet.  I've had IKEA furniture for years and years and their stuff is rock-solid....so take the hearsay elsewhere.

Take a look at some of that stuff.  Let me know if you see any dove tail joints, etc?

It's all disposable crap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a look at some of that stuff.  Let me know if you see any dove tail joints, etc?

It's all disposable crap.

Bullshit. Stuff is rock solid. I'm sitting on an IKEA leather chair I've had for 8-years now. Leather looks new. The computer desk I'm typing on is also IKEA. I'd hide under it during an earthquake.

There are no dovetail joints because they sell you the furniture and you put it together. Dovetail joints are not for amateurs. But I'm looking at a laminated wood chair thats put together with steel screws about 2-inches long. Stuff is all but indestructible.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll say this regarding the disposable/tough as nails argument. I have this  "Jerker" (that's the name, believe it or not) computer desk from IKEA, it's built like a tank. Survived 3 moves so far, solid as a rock. I'll never buy another computer desk. Highly, highly recommended (photo from internet, not my actual desk)

That being said, IKEA does sell lots of compressed board shit that falls apart almost immediately. You have to seperate the good from the bad when shopping in IKEA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Mayday is a god somewhere, everything he says and thinks is the immutable truth.  
Just because YOU think it's the next best thing and YOUR pos IKEA has survived more than a few years, so it must be for everyone, right?
IKEA stuff is hit and miss.  My apartment used to have nothing but IKEA, all but one has been thrown out because they did not last more than 2 or 3 years.  I tried to order one online because I did not have time to go to the store for one.  
Your manners are about as good as IKEA furniture.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Mayday is a god somewhere, everything he says and thinks is the immutable truth.  

Not somewhere....everywhere

Just because YOU think it's the next best thing and YOUR pos IKEA has survived more than a few years, so it must be for everyone, right?

Now you're catching on rubber-neck. I guess all the millions and millions of people who buy there time after time are also wrong.

IKEA stuff is hit and miss.  My apartment used to have nothing but IKEA, all but one has been thrown out because they did not last more than 2 or 3 years.  I tried to order one online because I did not have time to go to the store for one.  

Lose some weight then fat-ass, maybe your furniture would last longer

BTW, learn some manners.

How this for manners: CRAM IT.........WITH WALNUTS

IKEA RULES  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#27]
No. Ikea just isn't my style
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#28]
No way.

The IKEA just built near us in Frisco, TX has a "Weapons Free Environment" sign on the window...along with the "gun-slashie" picture.

I won't spend a cent of my money there given that they prefer their customers unarmed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
No way.

The IKEA just built near us in Frisco, TX has a "Weapons Free Environment" sign on the window...along with the "gun-slashie" picture.

I won't spend a cent of my money there given that they prefer their customers unarmed.

Dude. I've opened carried in IKEA. They dont care.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
particle board sucks

Yes it does.

I do have a couple things from IKEA though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got 6 "Billy" bookcases with the glass doors.  Going on 8 years and they don't sag or flake do anything but look good and handle the books and CD's I've loaded them with.  With IKEA you have to give things a good look in the store.  There's plenty of flimsy, poorly finished, cheaply made crap to avoid, but also some really good stuff.

And make sure that they have everything you want in stock.  As others have found, a backorder slip is no guarantee that the piece you want will ever show up.

Alpine
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I like their restaurant--fine meatballs.  

Also a good place to see hot Asian women with their wimpy metrosexual boyfriends (at least around here).
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Their stuff is crap. Won't have it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Never heard of it.

ETA:  Checked out the web site and the closest one to me is in Il. area.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 23, but my furniture is all stained wood (either solid or plywood, there's only two pieces of particle board in the entire place), none of that hippy post-modern crap like they sell.
My friends say I need to modernize my place, but at least I know all my furniture will still be there in 20 years and they have to replace their stuff about once every 2-3.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Low price
Designed in Scandinavia
Made in China
Assembled in your living room
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Ikea is the shizzle
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll never step foot in an IKEA again.   I don't like places that make me walk through the entire maze of the  freakin store to get to the exit.   Whatever happened to aisles?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I'll never step foot in an IKEA again.   I don't like places that make me walk through the entire maze of the  freakin store to get to the exit.   Whatever happened to aisles?

That's called merchandising.
Ever wonder why the meat counter is at the back of the grocery store?
Why the Auto Parts store puts the oil on the wall away from the door?
It greatly increases add-on sales and store profits.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a few of these in my home theater.  Work great for displaying the DVD collection.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#42]
damn, I would have to buy like a thousand of those.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DaddyDett

Or why soup cans are usually not alphebatized in the grocery store?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#44]
My Sweedish Ex-boss corrected me when I said the Ikea name out loud. It's "Eee-Kay-Uh" back home she said. Okay. Touchy folks, those Sweeds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
My Sweedish Ex-boss corrected me when I said the Ikea name out loud. It's "Eee-Kay-Uh" back home she said. Okay. Touchy folks, those Sweeds.

Technically, you should be able to pronounce it any way you want, since it's an acronym, not a proper name really - consisting of the initials of the founder/owner (Ingvar Kamprad) and the town/city where he grew up.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically, you should be able to pronounce it any way you want, since it's an acronym, not a proper name really - consisting of the initials of the founder/owner (Ingvar Kamprad) and the town/city where he grew up.  

It IS pronounced "Eee-Kay-Uh"

How would you like it if people started talking about LEE-GO-LAND?

(Ikea is thought of rather as something of a Kmart in Sweden, inexpensive stuff, but functional for its purpose - quality is variable, and although the designs can be quite clever, durability is sometimes sacrificed.

I have quite a bit of Ikea merchandise, and it has served me well (the Pittsburgh store was one of the first in the states, and have shopped there since its opening) - of course, I read the instructions when assembling the items, which eliminates probably 80% of all customer issues (for any product, not just Ikea)

And where else can one get lingonberries?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#47]
1.)  Thers is a reason the IKEA dude is the rishest man in the world depending on the days exchange rate.

2.)  I dont own any IKEA, everything I own is solid wood and more then 10 years old.  The parents were big on large solid furniture that last that they could pass on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No way.

I won't spend a cent of my money there given that they prefer their customers unarmed. hr

Dude. I've opened carried in IKEA. They dont care.

Whoops!

I 'may' have concealed carried at the Frisco store then.

Is it the legally-required '30.06' sign, or the 'make-a-Soccer-Mom-feel-better' sign?

Eric The(Inquistive)Hun hr

It's an unofficial posting (but don't tell them that), complete with gun-slashie picture.  I won't buy from them.  If the company "didn't care", they wouldn't have anti-gun postings on all entrances.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DaddyDett

Oh, I understand the reasoning.   But it goes beyond the "meat counter" analogy, into the annoyance level.   And if it annoys so much that people choose not to go in there, it sort of defeats the purpose.   Or maybe that's just a small minority that I'm a part of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I have some IKEA stuff.  Never had a problem with any of it.  Everytime I go there, I have to buy a bunch of plastic bowls that all fit inside one larger bowl.  I don't know why.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top