Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 1:03:24 PM EDT
Katrina and the evac of people fully expecting to return confirmed several things to me. When even the authorities say "run for your lives", they mean it. And by the time the message filters down to everyone, there is gridlock and it takes 3 or 4 times longer to get out of Dodge than usual (and imagine being stuck with only half a tank idling in an interminable line of grid-locked traffic)!

So I've begun some experiments.

This past summer we had a "spontaneous" week long vacation. Once we decided to go, we immediately packed up and got on the road. With laundry to do and extra stuff to take for the lake, relatives, yadda yadda, took me 30 minutes to load essential BO stuff and 2.5 hours to get all the last doo-dads cleaned, folded, packed etc. Van was loaded to the ceiling. No bubble top or trailer.

Today we decided (OK, I had ulterior motives) to "spontaneously" go on a picnic. Sitting around in PJs, etc. kids not up....to pulling out the drive way with grill, fuel, food, clothes, sports gear...enough for an overnighter in a pinch... in 1 hour. If we had to leave permanently I'm sure it would have taken at least another hour to gather essential papers, wedding photos, doo-dads and tools, etc.

Knowing that the next big disaster might hit around here, and knowing that we won't get much advance notice, I'm hoping to pare down our departure time from complete flat-footedness to pealing rubber to about 90 minutes, max.

Most of this will require pre-packing small boxes or bags - so we can take just what we need: the picnic bag, the camping bag, the food & water bin, our "over night" bags etc. and extras.... we're cleaning up our papers and affects too - streamlining things so as to pare down what we really, really need and what is superfluous. I have a dedicated brief case (hopefully to be replaced) ready to be filled with the essential papers - bith certificates, deeds, insurance papers, etc.

The worst thing is to have an opportunity or need to bug out (either for good as in vacation or ill for "run for your lives") and not be readily able to because half your essentials are scattered about, missing, etc. In an emergency I'll have enough on my mind to worry about than what became of my Leatherman, LED lights and compass.

Oh, and today I forgot my Atlas so had to wing-it to the far off picnic spot. So a check-list of things to "remember to take" would be good.

So...how fast could you go from completely normal life to driving for your lives?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Bug out bag.

If I decide to go, and I'm at my apartment, I can be outside of the city in less than an hour.

If I'm at work, I add 15-30 minutes depending on if I walked or not to get home and get my bag.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I dunno. Every time I try to practice bugging out with the family to see how long it would take to grab essentials, get in the car, and GO, nobody cooperates.

My mom thinks it's a good idea, but isn't going to participate if nobody else does. My dad tells me "I'm busy with work, go away". My siblings and cousin tell me to go to hell and keep their eyes glued to the pop star of the moment gyrating on stage and singing off-key.

When the SHTF, I'll warn them, grab my things, and run for the car. If their asses aren't in the car by the time my prepared little butt is, they're walkin'. The Little Red Hen is a story that gets told nowhere near as often as it should.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Bug out bag is always in the trunk. Grab my keys, grab my rifle and LBV, and I'm out the door in 5 minutes.

The problem is that my family here in CA consists of my grandparents (who really can't go anywhere), and my brother (who, despite being a stauch conservative, has his head in the sand regarding emergency preparedness).
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
We can be on the freeway[and fully packed] in under 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no reason to ever bug out where I live.  My house is on a hill so no worry about flooding.  We don't have minorities here which eliminates the possibility of rioting.  Blizzards aren't an issue as long as we have wood to burn.  Tornadoes and earthquakes give no warning.  We don't get forest fires around here.  So, bottom line is I've never given bugging out any serious consideration.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is no reason to ever bug out where I live.  My house is on a hill so no worry about flooding.  We don't have minorities here which eliminates the possibility of rioting.  Blizzards aren't an issue as long as we have wood to burn.  Tornadoes and earthquakes give no warning.  We don't get forest fires around here.  So, bottom line is I've never given bugging out any serious consideration.

Sounds like me, i live in a larger town but can be gone and out in the middle of nowhere in 15  minutes, plenty of exits out of town,and i live one block away from one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on the situation is whether or not I'd bug out. I have a lot of supplies here, that couldn't possibly be taken in my vehicle, so depending on where the problem is and how bad it is I might just stay here. I live in a pretty safe area pretty far from any shit, but if the shit comes to me I should be able to hold off...at least for awhile...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
BOB in the trunk.  Both my wife and I would travel on the way that is out of the area and stop at the house.  We can load Level 1 gear in 10 mins, Level 2 in 20, and Level 3 would about 45 mins.  I've tested 1 and 2, haven't timed or tried 3.  Level 1 would get me through a 1 to 1 1/2 weeks.  Level 2 would get me through a month.  Level 3 would be never comming back and relocating with what we need.

Bins/food/ammo cans whatever are color coded by dot.  Orange is lvl 1, yellow is lvl 2, and blue is lvl 3.  All important papers are kept in a fire safe.  Makes it easier to find all that stuff.  All important documents/pictures/video are Scaned/PDF'd and stored on my server, drives are removable.  Have a list and mark on the list where things are.  Most of this is in the basement with 3 exceptions.

John
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in a brick house with a wood burning fireplace, gas hot water, gas stove, and once I get the money saved a gas generator that could run the gas heat blower.  I have food stocked and 12 gallons of water stored.  Ammo and guns ready, and firewood stocked up, survival hand book for anything that might come up and need a reference.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]
15 minutes to have the BOB, weapons/ammo and important documents in the car. The wife will take another 3 hours deciding what to wear.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Paul, you have set the new standard.

I have a wife & daughter, but we can still be out w/3+ months supplies in less than an hour.
Like you we have stuff pre-staged. We have boxes marked with orange dot's that will go into the trailer or truck if we need to evacuate.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1

I was thinking to myself, "This sounds exactly like my area.", then I noticed who posted it. TheCommissioner just lives a little over half an hour from me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#14]
We live on a big ranch in a rural community. I wouldnt be going anywere,  we have food stocked, a walk in fridge, livestock for butcher and our own gas station on the ranch. For some reason we had to leave i could be in the hills in under 20 minutes. I guess being prepared isnt a question.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#15]
[tom cruise] We're leaving this house in 60 seconds [/tom cruise]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Damn, I always thought the freeways were to be avoided.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well my BOB was in my apartment when Katrina happened. I was out vacationing in Dallas. But to answer your question. If I am home I could be out within an hour. If at work could be longer depending...I take public trans to work.

I thought you currently could only read and not post replies.

Take care, and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have intention of "buging out."  But I drive from so Cal to mid Michigan twice every year.  Solo I can do the trip in 36 hours, with the wife and kids Ive done it in 48.  My family vacation gear list includes everything most would bug out with and more becuase they are usually hunting/shoting/camping vacations.

Additionaly I have guns & gear prepositioned at two locations in So Cal and two in mid michigan.  Will have another as soon as I find a house in Nevada, Arizon, or NM.

Dont put all your eggs in one basket.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]
We were ground zero/landfall for both Hurricane Frances and Hurricane Jeane laste year...we ran from Frances...a huge slow moving CAT4 that thank god quickly went CAT3/CAT2 as it made landfall...as our home is 15 miles from the coastline with one barrier island (hutchinson island) inbetween...loaded with high-rise condo's...which helped that CAT4 turn into a CAT2 LOL!!!

But is still devastaed the entire area...and we didn't come back home for the 11 days that the electrical power was out...we ran to Murphy, NC where we rented a cabin and Dad had a blast riding his motorcycle through the mountains...but....my wife and I had our home and my wifes hair salon to board up and 3 daughters, 2 dogs and all the valuables we could pack up...My motorcycle and water supplies went in the back of my Tundra while my firearms, archery equipment, important mortage papers and such and guitars gotv packed in the rear access area of my extended cab...the rear seat came out of my wifes mini-van where we laid down layers of heavy blankets for our two dogs...Marissa rode shotgun with me and Rachel (our youngest 7) and Candice (our oldest 13) rode with my wife....2 hours to board-up both home and business and 1 hour to pack up 1 wife, 3 daughters and 2 dogs and northwe went...not exactly rapid response team times but not bad for a civilian family of five...and oh yeah...btw...Mr. Glock took up residence in my console w/ a couple extra  fully stoked 20 rounders.

We came home 11 days later to a putrid fridge (never got the food out) and a putrid freezer (lost two deers worth of venison) both of which had to be duct-taped closed and taken out to the street for pick-up....it took about a gallon of frebreeze and 3 days of fans to get the stench out of the house...and about a week and a half later?...here came Hurricane Jeane....no one knew WHERE IT WAS HEADED as it did a little Bolo-Punch Manuever...then came straight at us like a frieght train...no time or money to run from that one....my parents holed up with us at our place (even though they have CBS and my house is wood frame) cause they live right on Stuart Inlet...we took turns leaning against my front door all night long...and things were a coin-flip there for quite a few hours...the westside of the eyewall wasn't so bad and then we got a break but then the eastside eyewall came and we all thought the house was gonna eat it...some fairly scary $hit....daughters slept in the hallway that night.

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Gimme orders back down South (anywhere), one week.  Tops!

B_S
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#22]
It used to be I could have all the necessities ready to roll in an hour or so.  I haven't re-evaluated since my first kid was born 4 months ago.  I'll have to get cracken on it this week.  Glad somebody brought this topic up.  I'd have been with trouser at ankles, otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I always thought the freeways were to be avoided.

Do you really think the freeways will be jam-packed in 30 minutes? Once the sheeple receive news that the SHTF it'll take them thirty minutes just to decide whether or not they should leave and where they're going if they do. If you get on the road fast enough you can haul ass out of Dodge before the panic and subsequent mass exodus ensue. You only take the back ways out of town if the freeways are clogged or you don't want to attract attention. Speed is the key to survival when it comes to running for your life, which is basically what bugging out is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#24]
For that reason (avoiding forgetting vital stuff) we got two clear tupper ware bins to fit under our Van seats: stuffed full of diapers, wipes, baby formula. We also keep lots of snacks (comfort food) for the kids under the passenger seat. This has saved on on numerous occasions when we forget to bring the diaper bag.

I carry a "get home bag" to work along with lunch and have a basic layout in the trunk: water, food, sleeping bag, etc. and generally keep enough cash on hand to buy a bike if I had to hoof it home for some awful reason. No sense in walking 50 miles when you can bike it.

But more and more I keep thinking that when or If the region-wide disaster strikes we'll have to go on what we already have, not what we could buy in peace-time and tranquility. So I'm speeding up my time table of preparation purchases.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#25]
My Corvette has a top speed of 167 mph.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#26]
hahahahahaha bug out!

Anchorage is in a bowl with two roads in and out.  You can't even get out of town in a hurry on the weekends let alone something like that.

~Dg84

ETA:  I think the important thing about bugging out is to do so when you're told "it's time to leave the city."
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#27]
So........silly question, but would having a Police scanner on all the time help give me lead time in knowing when to scoot?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#28]
About 45 minutes to pack up to get to the cabin where most of my gear is stored. but if the cabin wasn't an option, it would take about two hours since I don't have a BOB assembled.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I live at my BO place. 20 acres and my home is ontop of a hill so no chance of flooding. Plus I live in the country anyway.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#30]
30 minutes or less
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#31]
OK, so you live at your BO location...what happens if a Chinese nuke aimed for Buffalo drops slightly off course and takes out some forest region near Vermont in Canada - due West of you - and a noxious cloud of fall out is coming your way?

Sure, far fetched. More likely would be forest fire coming your way... how long would it take you to de-junk your cabin, load just what you need and high tail it elsewhere with the idea that you won't be back?

I mean, I'd much rather "shelter in place" too. But being prepared means ready for the unpleasant even if it's unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Depends if the Mrs has to put her face on and fix her hair first.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I'am trying to pack all of my supplies and what-not in a ruck sack, and a couple duffle bags. Probably can be realistically out of my house in about 30 minutes or so. If I'm not home, then things will take longer.

I noticed that a lot of people is not taking any water and extra gasoline. I usually have 3 5-gal Blitz containers of water and 4 5-gal Blitz containers of gasoline, just in case.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Depends if the Mrs has to put her face on and fix her hair first.

"Honey, the commie bastards don't care if you look perfect when you get vaporized in a huge flash of light; Let's GO!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Got railroads?

SHTF #1: Car derailment: A train carrying 100 tankers of chlorine and other toxic chemicals overturns, rupturing multiple cars. A cloud of deadly gas begins spreading throughout the countryside. Manditory evecuation orders are given for the entire and surrounding counties. You have 30 minutes to get out. You will probably be able to return in a week or so. Can you get out? What do you take? Where do you got?

SHTF #2: Car derailment: A train carrying 5 cars filled with nuclear waste derails near your home. You have 30 minutes to evacuate. You will not be able to return to your home for at least 6 months. Can you get out? What do you take? Where do you go?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#37]
i am working on getting a small enclosed utility trailer. my plan is to have it loaded with enough suplies to last a few months. keep it in the garage and back up the truck and gone in less than one minute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top