Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 12:30:40 PM EDT
did anyone by anychance read this book written by Al Gore? I know it blasphemy.I was told that in  the book he advocates high gas prices as a way to curb America's appetite for fossil fuels. Is this true? If it is then talk show people should be shouting this from the roof tops.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I read it.  It is as bad as you have heard and worse.  He advocated nothing short of a return to the 1600s.

It really is sad that someone as stupid as Al Gore could write a book that kept me in hysterical fits for so long.

I read the entire thing while in the bathroom.  I hope it still smells.

ETA - Al Gore is a nobody any more.  Why continue to bash the guy now.  Back when it mattered, Al Gores record and writings were dissected ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Liberals have envied Europe's high fuel prices for years.  Then they wonder why they keep losing elections

BTW, there was a funny thing going around the internet a while ago.  It mixed up excerpts from Al Gore's book and the Unibomber's anti-industrial manifesto, and challenged you to figure out who wrote what. Very difficult to differentiate.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The people that want high gas prices want them to be high due to GOVERNMENT TAXES, not supply and demand....and that's why they shut up (or in fact rail against obscene BIG OIL profits) when it happens.  The ten people who drive Electric cars in Hollywood are quietly smirking at their genius but the rest of the populace do not see high gas prices as a positive in THEIR LIVES.  Irony is sweet but the press will never made a big deal out of this either.  All these people are economic idiots.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It was pablum very close the lines of "Silent Spring" which was the wacko book that started the wacko copiers. "Earth" was a worthless book that was not based on any true scientific methods. It picked and chose things that by themselves would show how horrible it was getting but convienently overlooked  the data that refuted it. Pretty sad excuse of a book to me. Personally, I am waiting for global cooling to take effect, cause it is fact and it was taught in school. There were models and everything proving it. The global warming theory + the coming ice age should equal out quite nicely.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
So Al Gore did advocate higher gas prices? I'll have to find a copy of the book ...maybe at the library ( I can't bring myself to buy it )
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Libs want the price of gas high to dicourage consumption,.  But they don't want th oil companies to make a profit.  After all, profit is bad.  Being poor and needy is good (to a lib).  

But now they gripe because the price is high (the way they have wanted), and want the government to "do something" about it.  But if the price is too low, there will be shortages, as people will not be discouraged from consumption.

They simply don't understand the Law of Supply & Demand, failed Economics 101.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Libs want the price of gas high to dicourage consumption,.  But they don't want th oil companies to make a profit.  After all, profit is bad.  Being poor and needy is good (to a lib).  

But now they gripe because the price is high (the way they have wanted), and want the government to "do something" about it.  But if the price is too low, there will be shortages, as people will not be discouraged from consumption.

They simply don't understand the Law of Supply & Demand, failed Economics 101.

Same with history.
But it's all about feelings with them, and little to do with reality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top