Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 12:21:02 PM EDT
Any experience with this???
This youngster in the neighborhood has become attatched to me and mostly my toys. Keeps wanting me to let him shoot my bow. I have to keep my toybox downstairs cleaned out because I am afraid he will see all the guns. I have one of those strange feelings when this kid comes around. I also have nothing against teaching a youngster the fundamentals. At 14 he should learn. But this kid kina spooks me, Can't leave the doors open even when I go upstairs to get a glass of tea. How would you handle this situation WITHOUT a major confrontation with the mother?? His father has left him and his sister.

HELP
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on people this has potential to be a serious issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Not real sure I understand what your implying...?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
He has a Daddy complex.  Does he have an older sister?

Hiram Ranger can probably assist you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, for one he has already asked do you have any guns? With no real experience with teeneagers (especailly nowdays) what to do? Say oh yea got 40 or so, let him run to school and say my neighbor has 100 guns, What next??
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He has a Daddy complex.  Does he have an older sister?

Hiram Ranger can probably assist you.

No younger, I can stand her she seams to have some scence.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you saying the kid gives you the creeps?  People are usually right about such feelings.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are you saying the kid gives you the creeps?  People are usually right about such feelings.

YES But I hate to be the a**hole neighbor, especially since my pappy-in-law is our Deputy Sherriff,
He has already been on a domestic at the kids house.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
No father? He doesn't know how to act; you have to talk to him.

Just tell him how you want things to go; the kid is 14, he can understand but he needs instruction.

You should probalby talk to his mother before you get too involved.  If the mother is OK with it, make some rules.

It is your life. Share if you want to, on your terms.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES But I hate to be the a**hole neighbor, especially since my pappy-in-law is our Deputy Sherriff,

Hmm  that explains it.

Do what you can and try to be a bit of a father figure if you can stand going that route. Personally, I'd tell the whole family to blow, but I'm no people person anyway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, your painful rejection of him may result in him snapping and killing people
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No father? He doesn't know how to act; you have to talk to him.

Just tell him how you want things to go; the kid is 14, he can understand but he needs instruction.

You should probalby talk to his mother before you get too involved.  If the mother is OK with it, make some rules.

It is your life. Share if you want to, on your terms.

YEA, I kinda feel this way, But boy do I have the CREEPERS about this one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell him he can't come over and play anymore.

Don' t TRY to hurt his feelings, but tell him that his interest in your weaponry makes you a little uneasy.  Since you are not related, and just a neighbor you would be legally liable if there were any accidents and you don't want to put yourself in that position, so you are going to have to cut him off from coming over.

On a side note.  I'm a high school teacher and have taught middle school as well.  50% of kids in that age range think about suicide often.  It's a tough time in life for any kid.  If you get a creeped out feeling with this kid, CUT HIM OFF.  Even if you DO have to hurt his feelings and be the bad guy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell him he can't come over and play anymore.

Don' t TRY to hurt his feelings, but tell him that his interest in your weaponry makes you a little uneasy.  Since you are not related, and just a neighbor you would be legally liable if there were any accidents and you don't want to put yourself in that position, so you are going to have to cut him off from coming over.

On a side note.  I'm a high school teacher and have taught middle school as well.  50% of kids in that age range think about suicide often.  It's a tough time in life for any kid.  If you get a creeped out feeling with this kid, CUT HIM OFF.  Even if you DO have to hurt his feelings and be the bad guy.

THANK YOU, I can come to terms with this arrangement. This is kinda one of those could be WCS kids to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top