Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 12:14:39 PM EDT
This has reminded me of the Hurricane that hit last year on the east coast. My brother was without electric for at least 4 days (Southern Maryland). His neighbors who had generators never bothered to offer to loan them out so that others could make hot water and keep their Refridgerators and freezers cold. I thought that was pretty shallow. My brother loaned out his chainsaw and helped his neighbors cut trees up to clean up the mess. This was a new neighborhood that had block picnics etc...

I would definately loan my generator to my neighbors for long enough to keep their fridges and freezers cold. I know people here in WV that have went without power for days due to ice storms. That is what they did, went around with the generators to help each other out. Of course I like to think that most of us here in West-By-God-Virginia are good folks!

On another note, My brother realized that he could power the electronic switch of his gas hot water heater with the power converter in his truck. He ran that to get his hot water, jumped in the shower and at that exact time the electric came back on.

Now I know this wouldn't work in N.O. because this it will be a LONG TIME before things are somewhat livable.

I'm just trying to make the point of please don't forget to help your neighbors if you can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You would have to be a total dickhead not to help your friends and neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a different way of living in WV.  I know, I used to live there for 17 years.  I come from a town of 5000 and a county of 10000.  You know all of your nieghbors and everyone hangs out, cookouts, and when something happens, everyone is pitching in.  My dad and I helped out by cutting trees out of the way for people to get out of there driveways.  During the 85 flood my dad took the 10' john boat to a store for supplies for us and the other couple of neighbors we had.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't expect handouts.  

Don't loan shit you want back.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
To most of the neighbors one I wouldn't. Mine will power a few houses so if they will give me gas they can plug in , no gas no power. I'll be a generator Nazi.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I would very gladly help out in any way that I could, including limited use of my generator.

I would not, however, expect the same.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Never loan out items that you ever want to see again.  I would be more than willing though to let them put a fridge in my garage to keep their food cold that or let them have some of the space in mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top