Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 8:58:08 AM EDT
?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Eliminated?  No.  Significantly reduced?  Yes.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Won't happen. It can help quite a bit, but if you quit taking them it will be right back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes I did.
Took them from when I was 12 until now (20)
Decided to do it as my hayfever was really cramping my outdoorsy lifestyle.
So, 8 years to make myself immune to tree and grass pollen.

Everyonce in a while I might have a minor case of the sniffles, but nothing worse then that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Eliminated?  No.  Significantly reduced?  Yes.

Jim

Agreed.  I experienced many allergic reactions as a child due to dust, dander, and generally most of the outdoors.  Allergy shots over 10 years ending ~ age 15 helped much.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
i had the bee sting therapy for a while. before if i was stung anaphylactic shock now if i am stung its just a mild reaction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I just started back in July and it has already made a noticable improvement.  Usually, this time of year I am not worth killing due to hay fever and sinusitus but this season I have only had some relatively minor allergy attacks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you think they could help in a year or less?

My ragweed allergy is getting worse every year.

For the first time this year the usual meds I've been combating it with aren't working.

I'm on nasonex, zyrtex, and some eye drops (patanol) and in past years this combination has completely wiped out all symptoms for me. This year it seems like they're hardly making a dent. Even benadryl isn't taking it out anymore, and that used to act like the atom bomb for me.

Now I'm on all of those and still have coughing, burning eyes, constantly running nose, trouble breathing, etc. It's getting mighty old.

I'm seriously considering using all of my vacation in one month next year if I can get away with it and just going somewhere the ragweed isn't for september.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been getting the shots for years, and I can say that they do a great job. I get them once a month for basic outdoor allergins, after the shot, I feel normal for that month. The last few days, you can feel it weakening and you start to get allergies again. Its just time for another shot. I never have to take any meds or inhalers, never get allergy attacks. The shot takes care of everything for me. I do know however, that if I ever stop taking them, it will go right back to how I was before I started. At least you get used to needles, and you dont fear shots after a few years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For the first time this year the usual meds I've been combating it with aren't working.

I'm on nasonex, zyrtex, and some eye drops (patanol) and in past years this combination has completely wiped out all symptoms for me. This year it seems like they're hardly making a dent. Even benadryl isn't taking it out anymore, and that used to act like the atom bomb for me.

Now I'm on all of those and still have coughing, burning eyes, constantly running nose, trouble breathing, etc. It's getting mighty old.

I'm seriously considering using all of my vacation in one month next year if I can get away with it and just going somewhere the ragweed isn't for september.

When it gets to the point that the oral meds don't work (and it will) then I just go and get a shot of stuff called Kenalog. Works like a charm for about the 6 weeks that the ragweed is the worst here.

It's not without possible side effects, but I have no problems with it on a once a year basis.

I'll probably be heading to the doc in a box for one soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I was on shots for a long time and it never seemed to help. I actually felt worse after getting shots.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was on shots for a long time and it never seemed to help. I actually felt worse after getting shots.

After two years, I never felt worse, but I never felt any better either. Shots just didn't work for me. YMMV

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When it gets to the point that the oral meds don't work (and it will) then I just go and get a shot of stuff called Kenalog. Works like a charm for about the 6 weeks that the ragweed is the worst here.

It's not without possible side effects, but I have no problems with it on a once a year basis.

I think I probably started this exact same thread last september ... and you gave the same response.

I remember looking Kenalog up at the time and being a little freaked out by the potential side effects.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Had scratch tests and shots when I was younger in the late 50's or so for allergies and asthma.   Eventually outgrew all the problems by 25 or so.

When my mom was pregnant with us 3 boys HER hay fever and allergies subsided.  When she had my sister it was active.  Interestingly ALL 3 boys had allergies and skin exzema and the sister didn't.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think I probably started this exact same thread last september ... and you gave the same response.

I remember looking Kenalog up at the time and being a little freaked out by the potential side effects.

Could be, I don't remember.

Talk to your doc and see what he says.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When my alergies get really bad sometimes in the fall, nothing works. I'm talking about when your eyes and nose are completely swollen and you can't seem to get on with your life.

I go in and get a corticosteroid shot. Not sure if Kenalog, but damn that stuff does work.  Within a day things are settled back down to where regular alergy drugs are not needed or if so at least they work again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Five years of shots--nothing, just a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was little, I was allergic to a LOT of things. Got the shots weekly or monthly, and now I have only mild seasonal allergies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#21]
i'm three years into a five year therapy and have seen excellent results. i used to get 4 or 5 sinus infections a year- haven't had one in 2 years.  my results started to show about month 8 or 9.

from what i gather some benefit from it, others don't.  i did- one of the best things that ever happened to me-  was very allergic.  best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Daily shots didn't work for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I say give it a shot (har har).  

Can you give yourself injections?  You can do allergy shots in the thigh, and they just go into the fat under the skin--so it's really easy to do.  Saves you the cost of an office visit for a shot.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]

I met a guy a few months ago.  32 or 33yo, walking on an artificial hip secondary to aseptic femoral head necrosis.  Yep, the ol "allergy shot" he was getting 2-3X per year was actually a steroid.  "Fixed" his allergies, trashed his hip.

Immunotherapy works, but not for everyone.  About 40-50% of pts will have lasting relief after finishing 3-4 years of shots.

General allergists test different than ENT allergists.  ENT's generally test both quantitatively and qualitatively, thus the shots tend to be stronger at the beginning and lead to benefits in the first 6-9 months.  General allergists generally start with much weaker shots and take longer to achieve results.  But, hey, I'm biased.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope.  Asthma cured my hayfever.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]

My allergy shots weren't steroids, but then that was the 1980's and early 1990s.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My allergy shots weren't steroids, but then that was the 1980's and early 1990s.

Jim

What he described is one of the possible side effects I heard about from getting corticosteroid shots (like waldo's kenalog) to take out your allergies.

Way different than the "build up a tolerance" type allergy shots that just have the allergen in them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top