Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2005 8:44:40 AM EDT
This was in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram under the headline "Weary police are being sent on vacations" the byline says "from wire reports".

"A day after two police suicides and after the abrupt resignations or desertions of up to 200 police officers, defiant city officials on Sunday began offering five-day vacations and trips to Las Vegas to police officers, firefighters and city emergency workers and their families.

The vacations were proposed by Mayor C. Ray Nagin and by senior police officials who said their forces were exhausted and traumatized.  Nagin said he believed that there were enough National Guard members in the city to allow the police to take a break and still keep the city secure.

They hoped to have the first group of workers of their way today.

Nagin said the city would pay the costs because the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it could not."

The story goes on to describe the two suicides, one of which was the Police department spokesman.  Both shot themselves with their own guns.  Resuming actual quotes from the story:

"Officials were planning to send 1,500 workers - about 900 of them police officers - out in two shifts for five days to Las Vegas because of the availability of hotel rooms, and to Atlanta, where many of them had relations."

The NO police department lost control of the city, and now they (and their families) are going on vacation at the City's expense.  Maybe they should at least wait until the situation is under control before going to Vegas.  I wonder how the National Guard troops feel about this?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]

I'm speechless. Wow.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Strange way of spending federal funds, but undoubtably the officers who worked through the crisis deserve a break and a reward.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The typic liberal solution to any problem....throw money and freebies at a bad situation and it'll make everything better.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
This mayor is a major retard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no problem with rotating LEO's who have been on the ground this long. The vacations are fine so long as they take place after everything is secure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
guess we know where all that levee maint. and improvement money went.

i have to say if i was a cop in NO i would probably want this when things were under control. not sure i'd be willing to leave right now.

That's fair.  Now is definitely not the time for vacations.  It's seems the Feds/Military could use all the local knowlege they can get at this point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Who be paying for this???????????????? lemme guess the TAX PAYERS!!!!!!.....I am sure they do need a rest and a lot of winding down but JEEZ Louise......does it have to be in Vegas on the tax payers dime?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I can see rotating them out, they've been thru hell.  But Vegas?  Are they going to give them money for gambling and hookers too?  How about the mini bar tab?

Did LEO and firefighters on 9-11 get the same?  I know it's not the same but they went through hell too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]
That's awesome.  Leave the city and spend the money for the city at Vegas.

Max
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can see rotating them out, they've been thru hell.  But Vegas?  Are they going to give them money for gambling and hookers too?  How about the mini bar tab?

Did LEO and firefighters on 9-11 get the same?  I know it's not the same but they went through hell too.

Didn't they get Hawaii vacations?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know, I'm asking.  If they did, Vegas would be cheaper by a little (as long as they don't hit the mini bar and call up hookers.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, but not while there was still rubble on the ground and fires still burning.  How about a trip to Padre Island?  At least it would represent some sort of repayment to a state that's taken in the "refugees" and inherited all the problems that go along with it.  Plus it would be a lot less costly and good for the whole family.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#14]
The cops deserve a break, no doubt. Sending them on a prize vacation to have "fun" after something like this is absurd. Vegas?! WTF? They're sending them to spend money on gambling? WTF?? They need to see their families and handle personal matters, and have some order restored to their homes and city before they will be able to rest. This is beyond stupid, this is insane.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#15]
At least we know they will be finely attired with the lastest Walmart apparel that they stole with the looters.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know, I'm asking.  If they did, Vegas would be cheaper by a little (as long as they don't hit the mini bar and call up hookers.)

IIRC I think it was the famalies of FF/LEO's who were killed who got the vacations.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

In the simplest form
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh geez..

And  I thought I'd heard it all.  That is a huge waste of taxpayers money.  I'm sure the LEOs that stuck around would want that money spent elsewhere, you know, like for training, supplies, and of course, firearms!  Just give them time off, but don't give them a vacation to Vegas.  That Mayor has to go.

Unneccesary expense for a rebuilding city in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
At least we know they will be finely attired with the lastest Walmart apparel that they stole with the looters.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree that the cops and firefighters who stayed on the job deserve a vacation - when things are under control.  Anyone want to bet that the Mayor and other politicians find a way to qualify themselves for a Vegas vacation at taxpayer's expense?

I think the NO Mayor is an asshat of the first degree.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...I think the NO Mayor is an asshat of the first degree.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't have a problem with offering them some R/R. However, it shows exactly how disingenuous some where when they said they had no problems with the 200 officers walking off the job since they probably wouldn't get a paycheck. Like I said then, it was assinine to think the Feds wouldn't pay their salaries given the circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't have a problem with offering them some R/R. However, it shows exactly how disingenuous some where when they said they had no problems with the 200 officers walking off the job since they probably wouldn't get a paycheck. Like I said then, it was assinine to think the Feds wouldn't pay their salaries given the circumstances.

They said 641 are missing from the NOPD this am.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#24]
How about spending some of that money on grief and crisis counselors.  It would benifit them a lot more.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"Officials were planning to send 1,500 workers - about 900 of them police officers - out in two shifts for five days to Las Vegas because of the availability of hotel rooms, and to Atlanta, where many of them had relations."

I had relations in Atlanta once.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy Shit! That's over 1/3. I have trouble believing that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#28]
So are the guys that quit / deserted getting to go too?  How about the ones that just couldn't make it in because they were stuck in the flood?  The ones that left could just say they were stuck and couldn't get in, now where's my plane ticket.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Vegas is probably pretty cheap place to send folks airfare/hotel wise.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I agree that the cops and firefighters who stayed on the job deserve a vacation - when things are under control.  Anyone want to bet that the Mayor and other politicians find a way to qualify themselves for a Vegas vacation at taxpayer's expense?

I think the NO Mayor is an asshat of the first degree.  

Total agreement!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Stop. Please, just stop. I can't take anymore, my head is gonna fucking explode. NO is under 10 feet of water, and the cops are going to Vegas on the taxpayer's dime?

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder what that number represents as a percentage of their total.  It's gotta be outrageously high.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By possumkop

I had relations in Atlanta once.

+1

(Did you have to go to the clinic afterwards, too?)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder what that number represents as a percentage of their total.  It's gotta be outrageously high.

The force is about 1700.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#36]
They love the Vega$, that's all.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]
send them to blackwater!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Stop. Please, just stop. I can't take anymore, my head is gonna fucking explode. NO is under 10 feet of water, and the cops are going to Vegas on the taxpayer's dime?

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
send them to blackwater!

Oh, man, that's funny.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The cops deserve a break, no doubt. Sending them on a prize vacation to have "fun" after something like this is absurd. Vegas?! WTF? They're sending them to spend money on gambling? WTF?? They need to see their families and handle personal matters, and have some order restored to their homes and city before they will be able to rest. This is beyond stupid, this is insane.

Probably trying to "buy them off" so they won't lose more officers

I'm sure you're right, as that's the only thing that makes sense as far as I can tell. It just seems like such an inappropriate and out of place gesture. It's like going to a friend's fathers funeral and trying to cheer him up by bringing half naked, coked out strippers. Wierd.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe I'm old school but I always thought rewards came when the job was all done
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#42]
It is a tremendous waste of resources. Brilliant.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yes he is. But it's Bush's fault he's a retard
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
How about spending some of that money on grief and crisis counselors hookers and blow.  It would benifit them a lot more.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I know for a fact that at least 400 NYPD officers are on their way down this very minute in a huge convoy.

FDNY had a bunch of smoke eaters leave on a plane out of JFK airport this morning.

Guess we'll take over while they get their R&R?

Ahh a silver lining. Finally the job will be done right.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I think the NO Mayor is an asshat of the first degree.  

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Dwoog34/MayorMoneybags.jpg

MILLIONS IN GOVERNMENT LOANS ARE JUST WAITING!!!! COME GET THE FREE MONEY!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

NO.......Even if they had offered one, not a single one of us would have left until every MOS' body and that of every civilian was recovered...

ETA: After the recovery effort ended there were quite a few private companies that offered free/reduced vacations to FDNY and NYPD, but none of it was on the taxpayer's dime...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

typical liberal 'feel good' crap.

I think the mayor looks more and more stupid with each passing day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I know for a fact that at least 400 NYPD officers are on their way down this very minute in a huge convoy.

FDNY had a bunch of smoke eaters leave on a plane out of JFK airport this morning.

Guess we'll take over while they get their R&R?

Correct. I know FDNY will be covering all NOFD firehouses so that the NO FF's can go back to their families and houses to assess the damage.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO.......Even if they had offered one, not a single one of us would have left until every MOS' body and that of every civilian was recovered...

And that is the difference between professionals and punks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top