Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 4:41:16 AM EDT
I am a product of the public school system in NJ so I'm not going to pretend that I know much about civics but what is the role of the Cheif Justice?  Do they get to pick the cases?  Help me understand the politics of being the Cheif Justice of the SC.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#1]
He assigns who will write the decision for a case if he's in the majority.
Cases are picked by vote, 4 out of 9 required to hear the case, his vote counts just as much as everyone else's.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The Chief Justice swears in the President and Vice President, also presides over an impeachement trial in the Senate.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
He gets to pick out what they all wear.

"OK. Today, we're going with the black robe. Tomorrow - black robe. Wednesday, since it's 'Hump Day' - black robe, Thursday -black robe. And Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Day, so please wear a Hawaiian shirt under your black robe."
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
He gets to correct their spelling
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He gets to pick out what they all wear.

"OK. Today, we're going with the black robe. Tomorrow - black robe. Wednesday, since it's 'Hump Day' - black robe, Thursday -black robe. And Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Day, so please wear a Hawaiian shirt under your black robe."

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
He also gets to wear the funky robe with the stripes.  Looks like GWB will be able to get 2 in before he is done.  The libs must be foaming at the mouth about this one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#7]

New justices have to wax the Chief Justice's car every Wednesday or they get a swirlie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top