Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 3:08:16 AM EDT
The recovery effort is starting up in full force today. I fear the updates from this point forward is going to be pretty grim.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
10k?

Holy crap!

I hope its not that many.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I am pretty sure that's not even factoring in the deaths in MS, just the New Orleans area.

That is indeed a shocking number. I hope this is an overestimate. In a nation as well developed as the US, there should be NOBODY dying in a hurricane. Nobody. Having 10,000 die as a result of a hurricane is something you wouldn't even expect to see in a third world country.

People need to start heeding hurricane warnings and evacuations. We have all of this technology for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:50:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That is indeed a shocking number. I hope this is an overestimate. In a nation as well developed as the US, there should be NOBODY dying in a hurricane. Nobody. Having 10,000 die as a result of a hurricane is something you wouldn't even expect to see in a third world country.

People need to start heeding hurricane warnings and evacuations. We have all of this technology for a reason.

Technology continuously improves.  IQ remains the same.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do believe that is, at the same time, the funniest and truest words spoken on here in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
+100

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
As someone said earlier. Take the media's estimate and it will be 10% of that.

Still a terrible loss.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do believe that is, at the same time, the funniest and truest words spoken on here in a long time.

Nope, wrong. As technology gets better, intelligence, common sense, and skill, go down.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The more dead, gets more "bread". People will give much more if they hear 10K died as opposed to say, 500. It also gets more federal money thrown at it. Besides, what headline would you want to sell papers and commercial time? 10K DEAD and THOUSANDS MISSING!!!! or Hundreds feared dead?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Technology continuously improves; IQ remains the same; natural selection at work.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Still a terrible loss.

This seems to be accurate.  The BS about 10s of thousands is looking more and more like BS hysteria.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still a terrible loss.

This seems to be accurate.  The BS about 10s of thousands is looking more and more like BS hysteria.

Honestly, I think they've now swung the opposite direction and are underestimating the real number.

I still expect 2000-3000 +/-.

I could be wrong.

I hope I *am* wrong.

It wouldn't surprise me if several hundred bums/prostitutes/shot looters/poor fishermen are never noted as dead.

It wouldn't surprise me if many known missing are never found.

And the total death toll won't be counted for months.

Disease still hasn't taken its toll.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I recall that the 10K figure started with the Mayor of NO throwing that number out and that its since been discredited by people directing the relief efforts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still a terrible loss.

Remember hearing about estimates when the WTC towers fell?I think they were predicting 10k+
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Most didn't die in the hurricane, they died because of the flooding or because they were cut off from civiliation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
They are using the 10K number so when the real count comes in (<3K, IMHO) they can say Bush was covering up the extent of the tragedy.

Just watch, it'll be ugly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the toll is at 423 right now.  Hope it doesn't go much higher
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They are using the 10K number so when the real count comes in (<3K, IMHO) they can say Bush was covering up the extent of the tragedy.

Just watch, it'll be ugly.

Yup.the foil hatters made up all kinds of BS about the death tolfrom Andrew.Even after Hurricane Charlie, they made up wild BS stories. This will be nothing new.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think the toll is at 423 right now.  Hope it doesn't go much higher

I realize that is a big number, but many of those aren't directly storm/flood related

Plus, in a city the size of NO, hundreds die every day- without a storm.

I am not down-playing the tragedy here, but the hype is pure BS morbidity and sensationalism

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
   As soon as I hear "Official's Say"........all I hear after that is bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I predicted > 10K the day the levee broke.

Of course it was after consulting with my good friend Darwin
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would argue that the increasing captivation of/dependence on television has lowered the average IQ in this nation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
 It won't be over 1000,1500 at the most.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would argue that the increasing captivation of/dependence on television has lowered the average IQ in this nation.

Without a doubt....people get their conclusions from TV and the News, instead of the information to formulate their own.  It's definitely dumbed down our society.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top