Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:59:32 PM EDT
Most have been evacuated ... but there are folks in homes surrounded by water that are refusing to leave.  This cesspool liquid is already causing folks to get sick.  Are they going to be allowed to stay in their homes and get sick and die, when their food & water runs out, or are we going to go into their homes and forcibly remove them?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Let them stay if they are that stupid.  It will clean up the gene pool.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck em.  If they wanna stay there and die that's their own decision.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I am just wondering what we are going to do - forcible extraction, or "f*ck em".  In my opinion, if they are that stupid, why risk sending some folks to their home, where they may even be shot at by the stupid home owners.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't force them to anything if they are possibly that stupid.  

Post 1000!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm surprised by all of the posts here that support the government forcibly removing someone from their home.  What right does the government have to force you out of your home?z
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm surprised by all of the posts here that support the government forcibly removing someone from their home.  What right does the government have to force you out of your home?z

The same right that a firefighter has to pull you forcibly from a burning house if you were trying to commit suicide.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you let them stay and they survive, they will probably sue and cry that no one came to help them
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:34:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Amen Brother!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's try to decide this the way the US government supposedly has been by asking these questions:
1. How did they vote in the last election?
2. What color are they?
3. How much money do they make?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I see at least 2 sides to this story.

One: It's pretty impressive that some have made it this far. Perhaps there are some true survivers there worthy of Arfcomm praise.

Two: Sometimes you're just too stupid to die.

Step back and
Let nature take its course!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
From personal experience with evacuations in Florida, if they refused to leave, they were informed that they would be on their own, no other help would be coming, and what was there now would not return. They were also asked to provide a name of next of kin or anyone they wanted notified in the event someone came looking for them at a shelter or they were never heard from again.  Some people are just stubborn, some want to hold onto what is left of their possessions (even if it is trashed); some just do not believe or choose not to believe it is that bad that they need to leave. Maybe they fear that if they leave they will never go home again and lose what little they had.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am just wondering what we are going to do - forcible extraction, or "f*ck em".  In my opinion, if they are that stupid, why risk sending some folks to their home, where they may even be shot at by the stupid home owners.

We?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:03:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Let them stay get info on them. Tell them rescue will not return.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:03:53 AM EDT
[#14]
IMHO:  The reason a lot of people refused to leave (other than the gangbangers and thugs) is because those people KNEW there would be nothing left in their ransacked homes when they returned.  Their net worth was tied up their uninsured possessions and they were worth protecting.  Almost all human behavior is explained by economics.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:06:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you let them stay and they survive, they will probably sue and cry that no one came to help them

As a prior medical person, I have the solution.

Have them sign a 'release of responsibilty' form - like an Against Medical Advice form.

When I worked in FLA, we used them way too often.  You don't want medical care, sign here (AMA Form), stating you were advised by a competant medical authority that you needed care and you are refusing that same care.

Or we just waited until the passed out, then assumed "Implied Consent."

Frankly, if they don't want to leave, they should be allowed to stay.

But what will happen is they will stay, eventually get sick enough and then call 911 and say, "FTS, I need rescuing!"  I've seen this stuff a bit.  (Folks sign an AMA, then 24 hours later they're AFU and calling for help)

And in an earlier statement, I don't think fire fighters should forcibly carry people out of burning homes.

I don't think .Gov should decide who lives and dies.

If I want to sit here and ride a cane out into oblivion, I should be able to do that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Fuck em.  If they wanna stay there and die that's their own decision.  

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Who this "we", Kemosabe?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I see at least 2 sides to this story.

One: It's pretty impressive that some have made it this far. Perhaps there are some true survivers there worthy of Arfcomm praise.

Two: Sometimes you're just too stupid to die.

Step back and
Let nature take its course!

Let Dr. Darwin tag team with Mr. Murphy on their dumb asses in a real fo'shizzle death cage match and they'll be crying for help soon enough.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#19]
We as in "The ones doing Search and Rescue in the region"
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If their home was not destrotyed, and they have taken proper disaster preperation by storing water, food, first aid, ect...let them stay.

I have enouigh food and water in my home to last my family 3 months.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I was watching a rescue worker on TV trying to convince a woman to leave.  He told her, "Look lady, there is no drinkable water, no food, no power, no gasoline and there isn't going to be any here for months.  If you stay here, you are going to die."  She just kept shaking her head.

Denial, it ain't just a river in Egypt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#23]
It's their choice...let 'em stay if they want to.

HH
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If their home was not destrotyed, and they have taken proper disaster preperation by storing water, food, first aid, ect...let them stay.

My thoughts as well. There are homes that WEREN'T submerged- heard one guy say the water just came up to his second step. Got enough water and eats, go for it. Maybe he doesn't want to join the happy souls in the Astrodome or some .gov trailer park as a ward of the state. Don't blame him. Shit, this site is starting to sound like DU.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
From personal experience with evacuations in Florida, if they refused to leave, they were informed that they would be on their own, no other help would be coming, and what was there now would not return. They were also asked to provide a name of next of kin or anyone they wanted notified in the event someone came looking for them at a shelter or they were never heard from again.  Some people are just stubborn, some want to hold onto what is left of their possessions (even if it is trashed); some just do not believe or choose not to believe it is that bad that they need to leave. Maybe they fear that if they leave they will never go home again and lose what little they had.

They were told this before the Hurricane was hit.  Then allot of them complained that they were homeless, and on a bridge.    How is one to know if the people staying home aren't the looters?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most have been evacuated ... but there are folks in homes surrounded by water that are refusing to leave.  This cesspool liquid is already causing folks to get sick.  Are they going to be allowed to stay in their homes and get sick and die, when their food & water runs out, or are we going to go into their homes and forcibly remove them?

I think George Bush should personally go to each and every house in New Orleans and beg each and every person to leave their homes on bent knees. While he's at it he should give each family a 2005 Yukon with 20" dub spinners and a four no make that a five bedroom house each - almost slipped there huh?

You said a funny
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts as well. There are homes that WEREN'T submerged- heard one guy say the water just came up to his second step. Got enough water and eats, go for it. Maybe he doesn't want to join the happy souls in the Astrodome or some .gov trailer park as a ward of the state. Don't blame him. Shit, this site is starting to sound like DU.

What about when the malaria starts?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#29]
We need to get them out of there so we can bulldoze the damn town and forget about it...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#30]
some people are likely well provisioned with food and water and have defensive protection from looters;  they should be allowed to stay if they want;  however they should not come begging for food in a couple of weeks

they should be prepared for at least 2 months
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#31]
You can't protect people from themselves.

Max
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
some people are likely well provisioned with food and water and have defensive protection from looters;  they should be allowed to stay if they want;  however they should not come begging for food in a couple of weeks

Two months would require a great deal of stocked up food and water.  Forget water filtration systems, there are chemicals in the water that filters won't remove.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two months would require a great deal of stocked up food and water.  

I have three months worth for my family. Used to be 1 years worth, but i've gotten lazy. Given 4 days warning a hurracaine was comming I could get a three year supply on hand in time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#34]
DEE DEE DEE!  
I like airplanes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I saw one guy on the news telling the rescuers that he had enough food and water for 90 days.  One way or another, it would seem that he prepared for this and wants to take responsibility for himself and the others with him.  I personally cannot fault him (and others like him) for that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#36]
their home, their choice. I'm staying in my house and you can try to come get me
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#37]
FEMA and the EPA will declare NOLA a HAZMAT/Environmental Emergency and mandate everyone leave.

If you are trying to stay in a toxic waste dump, you are commiting suicide.

Suicide is against the law. They can 'remove' you to save your life.

Everything the floodwater has touched is toxic. Rescue workers are getting chemical burns from contact with the 'water' there.

I hate to see it....but it needs to be done.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top