Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 5:12:11 PM EDT
Don't worry, we're from the government and we're here to help you

media.putfile.com/Meet-the-Press-Broussard

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
That is really sad, the guy's mom drowned because no one came to rescue her.

Yeah, I can believe it. FEMA really dropped the ball. This was not the only one that I've heard.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that'll choke you up.

But why didn't he go to rescue his own mother?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like another local politician trying to shift blame.
ETA: Drown on Friday AFTER the flood waters began to recede a little. I think there is something fishy here. And it's not like they haven't been evacuating thousands of people over the last week. Blame shift in progress.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
dport: I suspect that man is telling the truth. I saw on another interview with the local PD chief, FEMA delivered a truck load of generators, but the driver could not drop the load because the site hasn't been inspected by a FEMA authorized inspector, the driver turned around and took the generators back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ETA: Drown on Friday AFTER the flood waters began to recede a little. I think there is something fishy here. And it's not like they haven't been evacuating thousands of people over the last week. Blame shift in progress.

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the tape that sent me off on my rant in the other thread.

So the guy lost his mom, eh? Big woop. While my heart definitely goes out to the man (I've lost my mom, so I know what that's like), the fact is that no one is to blame for that one death, and his assertion that they've been abandoned by their own country is BS.

Did FEMA screw up? Probably. Easy to realize with 20/20 hindsight. I just hope we take appropriate corrective action to prevent this from happening in the future rather than continuing to feed this rediculous political feeding frenzy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Big +1

Guy is a complete asshole.  Fake crying to try to shift blame for why residents of the parish he was in charge of were allowed to stay and die after the mandatory evacuation.

His little bit of how he had to repair HIS county's levee with his county's employee's and LA national guard, and that was unacceptable, "where was FEMA?".  Its your damned responsibility.  FEMA comes in afterwards and provides for displaced persons.  FEMA is not a rescue agency, they only have the ability to ask the military for help.

Bush said get the people the F out of the area 3 days prior.  These guys got on the news and said mandatory evacuation, and that was it.  Nothing more forceful, nothing to remove elderly or disabled people.  Nothing.  They were just hoping the storm wasn't bad, even though the news said Cat 5.  Actually, they were lucky it reduced to Cat4 before it hit, or the levees would have completely failed and killed a lot more people.  Everyone knows it takes a few days to put together massive rescue and humanitarian efforts.  Even if you really did have a crew of a thousand helicopters/crews, and warehouses of supplies, engineers and equipment continuously on standby, it'd take them days to get to a disaster area.  These local politicians designated shelters for the storm, and made 0 provisions for food, water, healthcare, and sanitary conditions.

They know their careers are all over, they are trying to save them, but they are done.  They are probably just trying to keep from being hung by a public mob when this is all over at this point.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
dport: I suspect that man is telling the truth. I saw on another interview with the local PD chief, FEMA delivered a truck load of generators, but the driver could drop the load because the site hasn't been inspected by a FEMA authorized inspector, the driver turned around and took the generators back.

Told the truth about what? That FEMA cut some comm lines? Maybe. But that is why you can't get too many people in one area from too many agencies at once. You have all these agencies pulling in every different direction.

What happened if FEMA needed those lines for something more important? They didn't know what FEMA needed right then nor why they needed it. They were making assumptions.

They also don't know why FEMA denied them access, if in fact it happened, to the fuel. Maybe that fuel was earmarked for rescue boats or for trucks delivering supplies.

The water may not have been turned back, like he said, more likely they were sent to someplace that could tell them were the water was the most needed. And even more likely they were directed to a supply center for further distribution.

In your story there might be a reason why the driver couldn't drop off the generators. Sounds kooky at first glance, but what if those generators were earmarked for an aid station or something? There very well may be other circumstances that have higher priorities, and it's better to take them back and get the right location rather than deliver them to a wrong location and then have to deal without until more supplies come in at a more critical location.

I take these local officials and piecemeal stories with a grain of salt as they do not have the overall picture.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Another story from the live call-ins to the radio station.  Some private organizations have gotten items/materials/food/water together to take into Washington Parish (north of NO at Mississippi state line; the eye of the hurricane passed over this heavily wooded parish; massive damage, NO only got flooded basically).  They have received no aid whatsoever from the feds or Red Cross.  They get stopped on the way in to Bogolusa; they think their supplies are being used for Washington Parish; nope...FEMA turns it around and sends it to NO.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking when I watched it this morning. There was quite a contrast between what the Mississippi Gov. said compared to what Broussard was complaining about. If there's that much to do then get off your ass and do something - whining ain't gonna get the job done.

In case everyone failed to notice, Mississippi was ground zero for Katrina's landfall and they don't seem to be having the same problems. The gov'ts of Louisiana and New Orleans should have had those levees fortified for a big hurricane years ago - I'm sure they were just waiting for the rest of us to foot the bill.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Another story from the live call-ins to the radio station.  Some private organizations have gotten items/materials/food/water together to take into Washington Parish (north of NO at Mississippi state line; the eye of the hurricane passed over this heavily wooded parish; massive damage, NO only got flooded basically).  They have received no aid whatsoever from the feds or Red Cross.  They get stopped on the way in to Bogolusa; they think their supplies are being used for Washington Parish; nope...FEMA turns it around and sends it to NO.  

It's called prioritization. It sucks, but it must be done. You have to go where you can save/help the most people the fastest. That is your best bet to save the most lives.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Why does that guy need to wait around for FEMA to pick up his mom?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
This guy is to blame. State of Louisiana was out to lunch and pissed their pants at the moment of truth.

The Blamestorm has begun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He was doing his job?

He didn't abandon his post and leave who knows how many others in the same situation?

He foolishly believed that help was on the way, but didn't happen?

Maybe he didn't have the immeadiate resources available?

What would you have done if placed in that situation?

Don't ask me what I would have done, because quite honestly I don't have an answer...

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Why does that guy need to wait around for FEMA to pick up his mom?

No shit!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's called prioritization. It sucks, but it must be done. You have to go where you can save/help the most people the fastest. That is your best bet to save the most lives.

Yeah, but when private help goes to NO, it isn't welcome either (little dick syndrome).  Why not offer and give help where it's welcome.  FEMA ran out of Slidell when they heard gunshots, after turning away aid (rudely).  Maybe they need to hear a few more gunshots in Washington Parish, very poor parish.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, just watched a video of Michael brown telling NO to evacuate and prepare for the storm on the Friday before it hit!!!

I teach disaster preparedness and all my handout state that it will be at least 72 hours before an organized response can be made to a disaster area. Considering Tuesday was still unsafe to fly for the most part, the response while slow, was not terrible.

The blame should go to the asshat mayor and governor. Not FEMA.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but when private help goes to NO, it isn't welcome either (little dick syndrome).  Why not offer and give help where it's welcome.  FEMA ran out of Slidell when they heard gunshots, after turning away aid (rudely).  Maybe they need to hear a few more gunshots in Washington Parish, very poor parish.

Sure, you got any proof private help was turned away? Or was it redirected somewhere else? Right now there is one MSR in and out of NO. You can't let every Tom, Dick and Harry bring in supplies when you're trying to move a couple hundred thousand people.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was doing his job?

He didn't abandon his post and leave who knows how many others in the same situation?

He foolishly believed that help was on the way, but didn't happen?

Maybe he didn't have the immeadiate resources available?

What would you have done if placed in that situation?

Don't ask me what I would have done, because quite honestly I don't have an answer...

It wasn't the Parish's President's mom, it was just the guy who runs the emergency management department for the Parish.  Hmmmm,  he runs emergency management and can't rescue his own mother?  Incompetence maybe?

And a Cat 5 hurricane is coming, and he doesn't have his mother evacuate to safety before the storm?Completely incompetent at his job.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Would a mass email attack requesting resignation be against COC????
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Why does the flag in the background look like it has Che Guevara on it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
What a way to portray confidence, leadership, and instill in your people that there is hope, don't give up in a time of great crisis...

"nobody's coming....nobody's coming...  For god's sake, shut up and send us some money..."

Sobbing on a national TV interview, saying you've been abandoned by your own country?  Sorry, but I have a strong urge to toss cookies for this man's idea of blaming the federal government for not reacting quickly enough when HIS local government and leaders FAILED their own people before the water rose one foot...

EPOCH    
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#24]
that guy was a dumbass of the highest order.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I SMELL A POLITICAL AGENDA

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#26]
The gov't isn't your friend
They ain't there to help
Politicians are fucked

Everything is going to go to NO and piss on the rest. The politicians are all scrambling to cover their ass now. My guess is that in 3 days you'll be hearing about food rotting in trucks in NO while everyone else is struggling to survive. And they'll still do better, short and longterm, than the Welfare losers in NO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What a way to portray confidence, leadership, and instill in your people that there is hope, don't give up in a time of great crisis...

"nobody's coming....nobody's coming...  For god's sake, shut up and send us some money..."

Sobbing on a national TV interview, saying you've been abandoned by your own country?  Sorry, but I have a strong urge to toss cookies for this man's idea of blaming the federal government for not reacting quickly enough when HIS local government and leaders FAILED their own people before the water rose one foot...

EPOCH    

No kidding.  Typical liberal - "Send us some money!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#28]
This Country is filled with stupid SOBs that could not feed or provide water for a few days. Exactly how dumb does one have to be to be so unprepared? Be prepared or get the hell out when they tell you to. Sound cruel? Maybe, but not as cruel as mother nature.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yep, just watched a video of Michael brown telling NO to evacuate and prepare for the storm on the Friday before it hit!!!

I teach disaster preparedness and all my handout state that it will be at least 72 hours before an organized response can be made to a disaster area. Considering Tuesday was still unsafe to fly for the most part, the response while slow, was not terrible.

The blame should go to the asshat mayor and governor. Not FEMA.

I distinctly remember NO.gov telling anyone going to a 'shelter of last resort' to bring food and water for 3 days.

I wonder what minute fraction of 1% actually did it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#30]
She died because F.E.M.A. didn't resue her.
She died because I didn't drive out from California to resue her.
She died because the French didn't send a team to resue her.
She died because Saddam Husien didn't escape from prison, charter a jet and fly in to save her.
She died because her lungs filled with water and it displaced the air.
She died because she didn't leave when told to days before the storm hit.
She died because not one of the approximately 6 Billion people on earth rescued her.
She died because she didn't save herself.

Why blame anyone? Blame everyone!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I distinctly remember NO.gov telling anyone going to a 'shelter of last resort' to bring food and water for 3 days.

The Mayor and Governor also told everyone to get the fuck out!
As screwd up as the LA polititians are, this is not thier fault.  More people should have listened.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Everyone fucked up.  Local, State, FEMA, Federal, the citizens.

Cut the guy some slack, he probably hasn't had a full nights sleep in a week and is ragged just like everyone else.  Look at the reporters that have been there since the beginning.  Shep Smith was pretty ragged and getting emotional after four days of being there.

This entire operation was screwed up.  Everyone worked hard but for the first few days they were not getting anything done for their hard work.

The storms path was predicted several days in advance.  Stage assets in texas out of the path of the storm.  Have outside gaurd units ready to go in BEFORE the storm hits (if it doesn't hit, don't deploy them).  Provide transportation for poor folks to get out before hand.  Piss poor security at the Super Dome and Convention Center cannot be excused.  These are supposed to be run by the officals, any crowd control expert can tell you what people will behave like.

This entire disaster was well a disaster.  I am tired of hearing how we couldn't predict, we got hit with TWO problems a huricane and flood.  EVERY model of a cat 4 hurrican hitting NO has a flood in it!!!

Their all to blame and a lot of folks are dead because of it.

That being said now is not the time to point fingers.  People in leadership positions need a break and rest.  Turn it all over the Northcom and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Everyone fucked up.  Local, State, FEMA, Federal, the citizens.

Cut the guy some slack, he probably hasn't had a full nights sleep in a week and is ragged just like everyone else.  Look at the reporters that have been there since the beginning.  Shep Smith was pretty ragged and getting emotional after four days of being there.

This entire operation was screwed up.  Everyone worked hard but for the first few days they were not getting anything done for their hard work.

The storms path was predicted several days in advance.  Stage assets in texas out of the path of the storm.  Have outside gaurd units ready to go in BEFORE the storm hits (if it doesn't hit, don't deploy them).  Provide transportation for poor folks to get out before hand.  Piss poor security at the Super Dome and Convention Center cannot be excused.  These are supposed to be run by the officals, any crowd control expert can tell you what people will behave like.

This entire disaster was well a disaster.  I am tired of hearing how we couldn't predict, we got hit with TWO problems a huricane and flood.  EVERY model of a cat 4 hurrican hitting NO has a flood in it!!!

Their all to blame and a lot of folks are dead because of it.

That being said now is not the time to point fingers.  People in leadership positions need a break and rest.  Turn it all over the Northcom and be done with it.

definitely plenty of blame to go around, if them folks start trying to point fingers...man, if i lived in a big punch bowl like nola, the second they said cat 5, i'da been hoofing it outta there. shit, i'da been outta there when it was still over cuba!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#34]
If my Mother was trapped in rising water, I'd find a boat, steal a boat or whatever was needed to rescue her. It there were no boats around, I'd have built a raft and poled the damn thing over to save her. I would not just stand there wringing my hands and waiting for others to do my damn job. After my family is safe, then I'd help others and do whatever needs done.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yeah I heard that also. But as I watched the people trying to get into the SilverDome, I didn't any food or water, etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I heard that also. But as I watched the people trying to get into the SilverDome, I didn't any food or water, etc.

WTF are they doing in Pontiac?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

for real , hell couldna kept me from  tryin to save my mom
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF are they doing in Pontiac?

Sorry I mean SuperDome
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Removed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top