Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 3:58:10 PM EDT
Blogs and media outlets alike are showing how you can help.

Have you?

I just sent a $100 donation ($80 to the hurricane relief fund and $20 to the Military fund) to the Red Cross.  I'd consider that pretty good as it is more than 10% of my entire savings (yay, college.)

Lots of you folks are sending supplies or, as one recent thread stated, being deployed down there.  Thank you.   For the rest of us, cash is the weapon of choice.

So, Arfcommers, list your donations here and put my $100 to shame.  

- BUCC_Guy

EDIT:  OK... the amount doesn't matter.  List the charity of your choice!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I pay taxes. I will give and give and give, whether I like it or not. That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Our Church ( Catholic ) took an extra collection for the relief fund.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I gave a $100 to the Red Cross...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I pay taxes. I will give and give and give, whether I like it or not. That's good enough for me.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see the need to tell anyone if I gave or not...but since you asked, I did.  I won't tell you how much because I didn't donate to look/feel like a Good Guy.  I gave because people are in need and I gave as much as I could afford to without hurting my own family in the process.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That is awesome.  There is most likely a pretty good peer-pressure factor with your neighbors looking at you.  

- BG
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't see the need to tell anyone if I gave or not...but since you asked, I did.  I won't tell you how much because I didn't donate to look/feel like a Good Guy.  I gave because people are in need and I gave as much as I could afford to without hurting my own family in the process.

What more could people ask of you?  Good job.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1!!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Made out a check to the Texas Baptist Men. Whatever the calamity they are always the firstest with the mostest.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I had knee surgery Friday  . While recovering my wife has been to help at the shelter in Robertsdale AL. She took a guy to church and I lined him up with some work with a friend doing storm clean up and we took him to lunch today and gave clothes and stuffed animals to others at the shelter.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Sure did. The missus and I gave all we could afford. We will donate more as time goes on.

For all of you any your taxes comments, wait your turn. After the two hurricanes that his us here last year, the Red Cross was a beautiful sight. We were supplied with warm meals and ice once a day by a truck the drove through the neighborhood. The various churches were super with their support, and backed up the Red Cross where ever possible. The Red Cross was also in charge of distributing the MREs through various sites. Those of us here will do what we can to repay them for helping us in our time of need.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Not to any agency, but I just sent $50 to someone who is taking supplies to another person I know in that area who is sheltering 20 people in his home.

At least I know it will get there and actually do some good.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Saturday morning, I woke up to the neighborhood kids in my yard with a Lemonade stand setup to make money to donate to the Red Cross.

When I last asked them, they had made $70 bucks.
I gave them a pretty good tip for my lemonade.

I then went to WalMart and bought a bunch of air mattresses. ( our local paper had said they were needed)

When I got to the shelter, there were literally several tractor-trailer loads of every concievable need, stacked up for the evacuees.

The paper also asked for underwear, and pillows both of which were sold out at Wally World.

I really expect this is typical to all communities around the affected areas.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top