Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2005 2:47:20 PM EDT

Update
Sig and I went down to the street to head over to Baronne to check out some tenant housing the company owns and make sure the building is still secure. The water down Poydras has receded about one and 1/2 block as you head toward the Dome. Baronne street the water has receded to about 2 blocks down from Poydras as you head to Canal. Still very significant flooding that way and the water is absolutely nasty. The surface is a rust-covered gunk that is difficult to describe; luckily, Sig took some pictures. We saw some signs of looting and there was a car there which had been completely crushed under a wall of bricks which fell down from the 3rd floor of a now-exposed condo.

Law enforcement have absolutely lost their minds. Some guy wearing khaki fatigues and black vests which say Police on them have their faces covered in black ski masks and are touting M4-A1s with front hand grips -- like they're some kind of Delta Force operators waiting to hit the tire house. They're guarding the four corners around the Bell South building for crying out loud. And what, they need secret identities? Come on. You can just tell some of these guys have never gotten out before. Now's their big chance to play Army.

The police presence is growing and it consists of non-stop driving around the CBD. Dozens and dozens of cars just driving up one street and down the other. We're safe from civil unrest now, that much is certain.

From the mgno.com blog  Wonder whats up with the black ski masks.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Name a trade without a surplus of shitheads.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep , Cops included.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, it's probably cold out.

Or ... they had to call out all of their guys who usually work undercover and they don't want to out themselves.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you ever had a thug recognize you at the video store while with your kids or drove by your house?

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Have you ever had a thug recognize you at the video store while with your kids or drove by your house?

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Unacceptable. Never will be.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes. That's life. Around here, I see guys who work UC working extra duty jobs in uniform. It's safe to say that there is no consistently applied standard of "security" measures.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hammer, meet head of nail.

The sheer volume of 2nd Amendment supporting LEO's who frequently post here remind me that everything isn't as bad as it seems.

Heck, we've even got us an honest lawyer!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I just know if I went a few days w/o a shower, not only would a "ski mask" be a good idea, but it would probably be a requirement.................

EDIT_______________________________________

Yeah, the city is working like a third world country, one of the bad ones................ dead bodies, running gun battles, shooting at helicopters, attacks on fire stations, etc. etc. and the thing that upsets that retard is what? Then other retards on the internet chime in..............

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Heck, we've even got us an honest lawyer!

That's as rare as a liberal with balls!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Well they got to protect their side jobs (bribes, protection money and such), it's best their identities be hidden.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I can understand it in one aspect but on the other hand I think "even" the Gestapo didn't wear masks.Before you flame away I am ultra conservative-I'm one of the Curtis LeMay crowd-"Bomb 'em back to the stoneage".Sometimes I just don't trust my Government.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The Geheime Stats Polizei did not fear anyone, there was no FBI and such organizations to keep them in line, therefore scant need to hide their identities.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]

They're guarding the four corners around the Bell South building for crying out loud

They are saying that like its a bad thing.  The Main New Orleans central office is a tandem switch which handles the region, not just some of the area like most.  With it down, most people cant call in from outside of the area because of this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Ninja mask, K-pot, backward baseball cap, I don't care what they are wearing. I am just glad that they are on duty and some of the nonsense is being stopped.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ninja mask, K-pot, backward baseball cap, I don't care what they are wearing. I am just glad that they are on duty and some of the nonsense is being stopped.

I don't like the whole balaclava thing either. Just reminds me of Waco too damned much.

THAT BEING SAID...

given the circumstances in NO right now, the more intimidating the LEOs look, the better. If it keeps the savages at bay, then good.

Just don't like it when it becomes SOP.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the contractors like Blackwater who are dressing that way.

Fuck..Man...Could you please get it straight before you start with the bashing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Can you cite the "bashing?"
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

link?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you cite the "bashing?"

Law enforcement have absolutely lost their minds. Some guy wearing khaki fatigues and black vests which say Police on them have their faces covered in black ski masks and are touting M4-A1s with front hand grips -- like they're some kind of Delta Force operators waiting to hit the tire house. They're guarding the four corners around the Bell South building for crying out loud. And what, they need secret identities? Come on. You can just tell some of these guys have never gotten out before. Now's their big chance to play Army.

That's from the first post in this thread................................................. pretty much the topic of the entire thread. So I don't know what you were commenting on, or what you were thinking about.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey pal, check out who it is that is posting that.

"retards"? - Fuck you.

(Doggone, Post 223.)

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I, for one, am more than a bit skeptical of this blog poster and his information and "adventures". I won't go as far as to call BS yet, but I am very close...it smells bad to me. JMO

He has been on FOX, MSNBC and CNN.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Simple for me,

If threatened, we civilians can't wear masks. Fair is fair.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I, for one, am more than a bit skeptical of this blog poster and his information and "adventures". I won't go as far as to call BS yet, but I am very close...it smells bad to me. JMO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and that proves what?

That there is a fair chance that he is there, and doing what he says he is doing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#27]
They might have had these on & not actual ski masks www.copsplus.com/showprod.php?key=search&start=1&search=hood  maybe their worried about getting their faces cut or burnt or something ? I dunno.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
In a disaster situation undercover officers are often assigned to EMS duties.  in a few weeks these officers will return to their own agencies and resume their UC work.  It would be unfortunate if those undercover officers faces were published on the front page of USA today making it impossible to ever work UC again.

Say you have a cop who infiltrated the Hells Angels on year long investigation.  you going to blow the whole investigation by putting him on traffic control duty with his face exposed?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In a disaster situation undercover officers are often assigned to EMS duties.  in a few weeks these officers will return to their own agencies and resume their UC work.  It would be unfortunate if those undercover officers faces were published on the front page of USA today making it impossible to ever work UC again.

Say you have a cop who infiltrated the Hells Angels on year long investigation.  you going to blow the whole investigation by putting him on traffic control duty with his face exposed?

Logic on the GD Board is futile.
Masked LEO's will always be JBT's to the chest puffing I'm a libartarian pseudo-patriot crowd.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Logic on the GD Board is futile.
Masked LEO's will always be JBT's to the chest puffing I'm a libartarian pseudo-patriot crowd.

Here I was thinking, a mask is preferable, to me looking like Red Green, on a bender, with a scruffy beard, and "bed head" that would scare Alfalfa..............................................
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Whiney ass bullshit snipped

Why do you care so much what LEOs do?

What's the big deal?

Is it jealousy?

Is it fear?

Well?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and that proves what?

That there is a fair chance that he is there, and doing what he says he is doing.

It does nothing of the kind.

Instead of flashing BS flags, make your case.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Whiney ass bullshit snipped

Why do you care so much what LEOs do?

What's the big deal?

Is it jealousy?

Is it fear?

Well

I'm ex LEO.  I post things to try to get a disscussion going.  That is why we are here.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'm ex LEO.  I post things to try to get a disscussion going.  That is why we are here.  

Well, then why aren't you ANSWERING why LEOs might want to wear something to hide their identity?

Is it ex-LEO, as in fired?  Do you have an axe to grind?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#36]
And the tumbleweeds blow by...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Like terrorists they like to hide their faces
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm ex LEO. I post things to try to get a disscussion going. That is why we are here.

Well, then why aren't you ANSWERING why LEOs might want to wear something to hide their identity?

Is it ex-LEO, as in fired? Do you have an axe to grind?

Sorry I didn't get back to you soon enough.  I never liked the idea of the black ski masks unless you were under some very deep undercover.  I was hardly fired.  Just left to do other work that I enjoyed before I got too much time in.  Being an LEO is not for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#39]
As a rule, I don't like the idea of LEOs wearing ski masks.

Given the conditions in NOLA, I'll give them a pass on this one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Like terrorists they like to hide their faces

Another keyboard commando wannabe. Please elaborate!
Please be sure to provide links to your assertions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#41]
here's a guess. if it is a tandem switch it it uber important. lots o como goes thru there. bush and co have getting shit pounded by the media. say someone takes out that switch. knocks out phone com for a wide area.. say they heard mayhap some vague rumor that terrorists or just some real unhappy homeboys want some third world kudos..

say perhaps those guys are not cops but some special force guys, delta, seals who knows. far fetched. but if you know how critical that com operation is it makes some since. and i suspect those guys do not show there face in public by design...

cops? i bet there are not just cops..
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 also
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They're guarding the four corners around the Bell South building for crying out loud

They are saying that like its a bad thing.  The Main New Orleans central office is a tandem switch which handles the region, not just some of the area like most.  With it down, most people cant call in from outside of the area because of this.

If Bell South go's down, the entire South East U.S. is crippled.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds HOT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
here's a guess. if it is a tandem switch it it uber important. lots o como goes thru there. bush and co have getting shit pounded by the media. say someone takes out that switch. knocks out phone com for a wide area.. say they heard mayhap some vague rumor that terrorists or just some real unhappy homeboys want some third world kudos..

say perhaps those guys are not cops but some special force guys, delta, seals who knows. far fetched. but if you know how critical that com operation is it makes some since. and i suspect those guys do not show there face in public by design...

cops? i bet there are not just cops..

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If Bell South go's down, the entire South East U.S. is crippled.

Bet they move it after this deal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#47]
If I were shooting looters, I'd be wearing a ski mask, to minimize the chances of retaliation against me or my family.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Could be they don't want to get recognized as "the pig that shot my homeboy" after this is over.

Or they may just work undercover and not want to be executed because they were on the news.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, to start its for affect.  Second its because most of the time they play officer friendly on the street, at civic meetings, public gatherings, courtroom testimony, eating at subway. And off duty they play, leave me the hell alone I am not working.  Its just too easy to get caught by some media clown grandstanding trying to get a promotion. Then the next time you see your nieghbor they are all freaked out, At the end of the day you want to leave it their.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Come on. You can just tell some of these guys have never gotten out before. Now's their big chance to play Army.

Ok, all fine and dandy... But one thing... If they're 'playing Army', then I must be missing something...

Like a black ski-mask... I mean, if wearing one qualifies as 'Playing Army', then maybe those of us who are actually in the Army are supposed to have them????

Now... flak-jackets, IBA, Kevlar helmets, BDUs... BTWT...  

Seems Uncle Sam forgot to pass out the ski masks...

Now, I had to buy a goddamn PILE CAP for the OCS packing list, but that's another story...

I want my evil-black-citizen-opressing SKI MASK! Come on, somebody HAS to have screwed up at CIF, right? Or maybe the folks back at Ft Jackson left it out of the pile-o-crap I got at BCT... Where is it?

[OK, IN CASE YOU MISSED THE SMILIE, THAT WAS A J-O-K-E... Laugh a little, either at the joke or at it's extreme stupidity, and move on ]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top