Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 2:04:04 PM EDT
OK, this is thirdhand, which is why I'm requesting confirmation:  My dad said he saw somebody on TV on Meet the PRess or Face the NAtion or something like that, from Wal-Mart claiming Wal-mart sent several 18-wheelers full of water to NOLA the middle of last week, only to be turned away by authorities.

Can anyone verify this?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
According to Fox, Wednesday, Local authorities turned back a huge caravan of folks with boats wanting to help rescue stranded people.  Lt. General Honore came on the scene and got it straightened out, and they were allowed to help in the rescue efforsts Friday.  The local authorities there have their asses stuck up their heads big time - I am not talking the local EMT's, etc - the higher ups, up to and including the mayor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I worked for a guy who knew LTG Honore a couple of years ago, even back then he said Honore was a "make stuff happen" kind of guy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.  I worked for a guy who knew LTG Honore a couple of years ago, even back then he said Honore was a "make stuff happen" kind of guy

I know one thing. If I was one of those local cops he yelled at for carrying their rifles up where they could be seen and used quickly, I would have told him to STFU. He had no control over the cops. The cops were on the front line getting shot at and he was walking around with body guards

Pompous bastard
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know one thing. If I was one of those local cops he yelled at for carrying their rifles up where they could be seen and used quickly, I would have told him to STFU. He had no control over the cops. The cops were on the front line getting shot at and he was walking around with body guards

Pompous bastard

That "Pompous bastard" is the man getting things done and saving lives down there. He is also in charge of the troops establishing order. Something the police have been unable to do. Just what have you done from behind your keyboard there big guy?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pompous bastard

If I were the local cops I would STFU and learn something.

Most of the NO police bugged out and either ran or became part of the mob, God bless the ones that stayed but the NOPD administration has shamed itself.  Which BTW is part of the reason why supplies had to be turned back in the middle of last week… remember thugs shooting at rescue workers, stealing supplies, shooting at helicopters, ect. No Police, No security.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pompous bastard

Uh, that spot wasn't the front line.  And didn't you see the people's spirits rise when they saw LTG Honore treating them with some damn respect instead of treating them like hajjis??  THey fucking cheered him!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Red tape is keeping caravans of doctors from helping the sick:

www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/09/04/katrina.sick.redtape.ap/index.html

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (AP) -- Volunteer physicians are pouring in to care for the sick, but red tape is keeping hundreds of others from caring for Hurricane Katrina survivors while health problems rise.

Among the doctors stymied from helping out are 100 surgeons and paramedics in a state-of-the-art mobile hospital, developed with millions of tax dollars for just such emergencies, marooned in rural Mississippi.

"The bell was rung, the e-mails were sent off. ...We all got off work and deployed," said one of the frustrated surgeons, Dr. Preston "Chip" Rich of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"We have tried so hard to do the right thing. It took us 30 hours to get here," he said. That government officials can't straighten out the mess and get them assigned to a relief effort now that they're just a few miles away "is just mind-boggling," he said.

While the doctors wait, the first signs of disease began to emerge Saturday: A Mississippi shelter was closed after 20 residents got sick with dysentery, probably from drinking contaminated water.

Many other storm survivors were being treated in the Houston Astrodome and other shelters for an assortment of problems, including chronic health conditions left untreated because people had lost or used up their medicine.

The North Carolina mobile hospital stranded in Mississippi was developed through the Office of Homeland Security after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. With capacity for 113 beds, it is designed to handle disasters and mass casualties.

Equipment includes ultrasound, digital radiology, satellite Internet, and a full pharmacy, enabling doctors to do most types of surgery in the field, including open-chest and abdominal operations.

It travels in a convoy that includes two 53-foot trailers, which as of Sunday afternoon was parked on a gravel lot 70 miles north of New Orleans because Louisiana officials for several days would not let them deploy to the flooded city, Rich said.

Yet plans to use the facility and its 100 health professionals were hatched days before Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast, doctors in the caravan said.

As they talked with Mississippi officials about prospects of helping out there, other doctors complained that their offers of help also were turned away.

A primary care physician from Ohio called and e-mailed the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services after seeing a notice on the American Medical Association's Web site about volunteer doctors being needed.

An e-mail reply told him to watch CNN that night, where U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt was to announce a Web address for doctors to enter their names in a database.

"How crazy is that?" he complained in an e-mail to his daughter.

Dr. Jeffrey Guy, a trauma surgeon at Vanderbilt University who has been in contact with the mobile hospital doctors, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview, "There are entire hospitals that are contacting me, saying, 'We need to take on patients," ' but they can't get through the bureaucracy.

"The crime of this story is, you've got millions of dollars in assets and it's not deployed," he said. "We mount a better response in a Third World country."

Leavitt, U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona, and Dr. Julie Gerberding, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, were in Louisiana on Sunday. Gerberding planned to go to Texas, where many evacuees are now housed.

Many other doctors have been able to volunteer, and were arriving in large numbers Sunday in Baton Rouge. Several said they worked it out through Louisiana state officials.

Dr. Bethany Gardiner, a 36-year-old pediatrician who just moved to Santa Barbara, California, from Florida, had been visiting parents in Florida when the hurricane hit.

"I left my kids and just started searching places on the Web" to volunteer, eventually getting an invitation to come to Baton Rouge, she said.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
know one thing. If I was one of those local cops he yelled at for carrying their rifles up where they could be seen and used quickly, I would have told him to STFU. He had no control over the cops.

Typical tough talk from an Internet commando. Disobey a weapon order from the commanding General during a State of Emergency, you would might get a second chance to comply before you would be dead.  The cops had there chance, they fled. Time for the real men to get the job done, the ones that will stay and fight and follow orders.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
know one thing. If I was one of those local cops he yelled at for carrying their rifles up where they could be seen and used quickly, I would have told him to STFU. He had no control over the cops.

Typical tough talk from an Internet commando. Disobey a weapon order from the commanding General during a State of Emergency, you would might get a second chance to comply before you would be dead.  The cops had there chance, they fled. Time for the real men to get the job done, the ones that will stay and fight and follow orders.

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OK, this is thirdhand, which is why I'm requesting confirmation:  My dad said he saw somebody on TV on Meet the PRess or Face the NAtion or something like that, from Wal-Mart claiming Wal-mart sent several 18-wheelers full of water to NOLA the middle of last week, only to be turned away by authorities.

Can anyone verify this?

I saw an interview on WWL-TV streaming on the internet with a local PD chief, and he was fuming. FEMA sent a truck full of generators, but the truck couldn't drop it off because the site wasn't inspected by a FEMA authorized inspector so the trucker turned around and left.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope this is what the country needs in order to start stringing up bureaucrats (in the metaphorical sense) and getting back to good old-fashioned American ingenuity, initiative, and common sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top