Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 9:46:36 AM EDT
With all these people being evac'ed out of NO, most of them being welfare-mommas, to other states such as Texas, I can't help but to think how its going to tip the balance of the next election into the blue side's favor.  I mean, its not like these people are ready to leave and go rebuild their homes or anything...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
With all these people being evac'ed out of NO, most of them being welfare-mommas, to other states such as Texas, I can't help but to think how its going to tip the balance of the next election into the blue side's favor.  I mean, its not like these people are ready to leave and go rebuild their homes or anything...

The democrats are traditionally good at getting 'people' registered and gotv.  Assuming the refugees are still hanging around in centers outside their old congressional district, I think they could be the deciding factor in close congressional races, particularly if they are housed in districts where the incumbent is republican.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

There is that,

Plus, in MY neighborhood, low income housing is nicer than what I can afford.

Unemployed my ass.  Put them to work cleaning up their own city.

If they don't want to work, they can live under the bridges.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
With all these people being evac'ed out of NO, most of them being welfare-mommas, to other states such as Texas, I can't help but to think how its going to tip the balance of the next election into the blue side's favor.

It won't. They are unproductive members of society who are too lazy to show up to register and then vote unless a bus picks them up. I'm looking forward to the 2006 election cycle!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as I hate FDR and the new deal, right now we need to set up some sort of works project to put the folks who lived in New Orleans back to work rebuilding the gulf and there own town.

Some sort of civilian conservation corps, accept they work on infrastructure.

Maybe we can set up a TVA type project more foucused on energy, using the manpower to set up and run oil rigs in the US and Iraq.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#5]
They won't be residents of Texas.  They will still be voting as residents of NO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Um.  Louisiana went red in 2004.

The welfare mommas don't vote anyway.  The kinds of people who voted are the kind that were smart enough to evac on time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got back from church and we had alot of visitors at church from the New Orleans area who are staying in and around Lafayette. I just want to say that alot of the people who have evacuated from the greater New Orleans area are not "welfare mommas". Granted some of the people are on public assistance but most of the people who have been displaced are hardworking people who just need a hand up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As much as I hate FDR and the new deal, right now we need to set up some sort of works project to put the folks who lived in New Orleans back to work rebuilding the gulf and there own town.

Some sort of civilian conservation corps, accept they work on infrastructure.

Maybe we can set up a TVA type project more foucused on energy, using the manpower to set up and run oil rigs in the US and Iraq.

It's going to end up (sort of) like that. The whole gulf coast is going to have massive amounts of $$ pumped into it for rebuilding. There will be some sort of job for anyone willing to work.

The downside is that it's mostly going to be .gov money and it will ratchet up the deficit. But the economy there will rebound quickly with all the work going on.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top