Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:43:39 AM EDT
I remember when I was in Barstow, Cali. We would take the back roads down to Victorville, on the way we passed an empty military base that had a bunch of garrison housing like dorm type buildings, what about using those.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
if the base has been closed down for awhile ,it probably would take time and money to get the housing usuable.

it would be cheaper to relocate them out to different communites than remodeling closed bases.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, I think they are doing that in San Antonio.... good idea.  I think Hanau is right about it costing, but if we are talking long term housing, it might be worthwhile in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the gov of AL mentioned the other day that AL is conducting "Operation Golden Rule" where every AL county is search for any vacated property, including closed military complexes, to serve as short, mid, and long term  housing for those displaced.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Michael Savage has been suggesting that all week. Of course, it makes too much sense for anyone to listen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
That would be just to damn smart for the U.S. Government to think of.

BUSH would say "Hell let's ship em to IRAQ to fight; We need more meat for the grinder. "
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

BUSH would say "Hell let's ship em to IRAQ to fight; We need more meat for the grinder. "

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Already being done.

If some of you were paying attention it was stated they would be using some of these bases 3 days ago.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Get a damn clue
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
They are using the local national gaurd base around here to house refugees.  With the quality of barracks they have there, they would've been better off staying in NO.  At least they have a roof, food, and water there.  My CAP squadron is going to be assisting in processing the refugees when they start to arrive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I remember when I was in Barstow, Cali. We would take the back roads down to Victorville, on the way we passed an empty military base that had a bunch of garrison housing like dorm type buildings, what about using those.

That would be George AFB.

The military use it for urban training and now part of it may be a prison. That is also where they filmed the Combat Mission reality TV game show.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, in San Antonio they were going to put them in aircraft hangars in the closed Kelly AFB.  Instead they decided to used barracks, which limits the number of people able to be taken care of but improves their living conditions greatly.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
if the base has been closed down for awhile ,it probably would take time and money to get the housing usuable.

it would be cheaper to relocate them out to different communites than remodeling closed bases.

Tarps as dividers and tent cities.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Which ones?
The ones that were on the latest BRAC list are still open and operating.
The ones that were closed in previous BRAC closings have either been demolished, parts of them demolished, realigned or are privately owned by local (city, county, state) agencies.

As has been posted here and in other topics, there are a few BRAC bases that are being used if they can be.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You are 100% correct, he actually said that while signing the order to let all the black people in NO starve. Of course he was doing his line of coke of a 10,000 dollar a night whore while he signed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top