Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 8:58:46 AM EDT
People always tell me that the best thing to do is buy furniture direct from North Carolina.

But any web search I do results in 1,000 hits on all these lame websites.

What are the best stores to try?

Anyone have any luck?

They say you can save 30% or so but I haven't found anything all that impressive yet.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
N.O. scratch and soak sale is going on right now, 90-100% off.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
fxn,
You stole my answer
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Buying furniture is a complete PITA.
80-90% of it is pure crap, and what is descent costs big $$s.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the NC connection is way overrated and living in the past.  I say that as a native NC'er.

The local furniture factories have (almost) all closed and gone to China. Or some other 3rd world country. The HighPoint furniture mart is going to be pushed aside by the big new one they opened in Las Vegas this year.

Plus the savings I think have always been a bit overrated by the time you pay shipping and all. Also do your research and be aware that almost all of the companies have on-line complaints registered against them. Furniture is a very personal thing and delivery is very high on the list of things that can go wrong.

http://www.thomasvilletourism.com/market/companies.htm

http://www.highpoint.org/scripts/t3cgi.exe/project/admin/furn_view.taf?_function=list&_UserReference=4446C3C7FD1EF47B431B4CAD

This is one of those "be-all,endall" places.

http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/

Shop carefully, be wise, make your own mind up. There is something to be said for a real "touch and feel" experience. I'd never buy furniture over the Inet without having seen/touched/felt the real deal somewhere and copied down EXACT model information.

Quality furniture is a lost art, what little is left will cost you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
<Foxworthy>If that baby's still there after dark...she's gonna be in my livin' room!</Foxworthy>

Personally, I buy furniture that looks nice, and I buy it cheap. By the time it needs to be reupholstered, I'm tired of looking at the damn thing anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
auction houses/estate sales are the ONLY way to go.  Yes, it's used, but a $25 steam cleaner rental will take care of any icky messes.  Yes, you sometimes have to shop around, but the savings are phenominal.  Often, when the elderly pass on, the kids (if any) sell off the estate for the $$.  Other times, the state auctions off the estate.

(We just bought a $3800 LaZboy leather couch--like new condition--for $1200)
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a few days to tour the outlets between Hickory, NC and Lenoir, NC along highway 321.

You will find all the furniture you need at good $.

Bring a trailer or a truck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I can help you with this.  I used to be a furniture dealer & I have a suggestion that you might want to consider.

First, open up the Classified section of your newspaper.   Depending on where in PA you reside, there will probably be an ad/ads for a Bedroom Set that claims to be "new in boxes" or something similiar.  When you call the number in the ad, you will probably get an explanation that this person is selling the bedroom set for a "friend who is a distributor in the furniture business."  He'll want you to set an appointment to view the furniture.  Believe it or not, this IS a legitimate business that will have the set advertised along with some others that are brand new in boxes & more expensive.  All the prices that he will quote you will be less than retail but will still give him a nice margin.  You can negotiate price with him & usually get the same bedroom set found in a store for about 40-60% less than retail store price.  I know this sounds hokey & a bit suspicious but it is 100% legit, the furniture is in new condition (not "scratch & dent") and you can pay cash, credit card or check and the guy will probably offer a delivery option, too.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have regarding the furniture industry.  I will tell you that there is a very large mark-up on bedroom sets, mattresses and dining room sets.  Most bedroom sets priced @ $4,000-4,500 only cost the store $800-1,200.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top