Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 8:15:46 AM EDT
A Yankee's impression of one Confederate sharpshooter

How did the average soldier feel about the opposing sharpshooters? In some cases there was a genuine hatred and some men felt that they should all be killed. In the following example, one Federal soldier actually meets one and describes his feeling. Enjoy.

"A most complete entente cordiale had just been established between Company D and the Alabama and Arkansas men who have just been posted opposite to us. It was rather embarassing, at first, to come face to face with the chaps, who, for a month back, have been shooting at you night and day; but I wanted to study the live 'reb,' and determine the category in natural history under which he should come, - whether 'gorillia,' as some claim; or 'chivalry,' as others; or sometines betweeen... A group of rebels were gathered in the hollow, and over the parapet others came jumping, coming in a straggling line down the slope. I am bound to say, they seemed like pleasant men. All were good-natured, and met our advances cordially. They straightened up as we did. 'It was good to be able to stretch up once more to the full height; they had not been able to do it for a month.' Several were free-mason; and there was mysterious clasping and mighty fraternizing with the brethren on our side. Some had been in Northern colleges, and were gentlemen; and even the 'white trash' and 'border ruffians,' who made up the mass of them, were a less inhuman set that I should have believed...

"'Here comes Old Thous'n Yards!' said they, as a broad, tall Arkansian, with a beard heavy as Spanish moss on an oak, and a quick dark eye, came swinging down from the parapet. They all made way for him with some deference. He was 'Old Thous'n Yards' with every one, and turned out to be the great sharp-shooter of that part of the works. I inquired about him, and found he was a famous backwoodsman and hunter, who, with a proper rifle, was really sure of a bear or buffalo at the distance of a thousand yards. He came forward rather bashfully. On both sides, the rifles were left behind; and 'Old Thousand Yards' seemed to be as much troubled to dispose of his hands as a college freshman at his first party. His left arm would half bend into a hollow as if to receive the rifle barrel, and the right fingers work as if they wanted to feel the touch of the lock. I borrowed a chew of tobacco, and won the perennial friendship of 'Old Thousand Yards' by bestowing it upon him. Then I bought his cedar canteen to preserve as a souvenir... I fear more than one of our poor fellows has felt his skill; but, for all that, he was a good-natured fellow, with a fine frame and noble countenance, - a physique to whose vigor and masculine beauty, prairies and mountainpaths and wild chases had contributed."

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Give us a source.  I might want to read more.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Good read.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks.

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks.

If you're really interested in reading more, Click here and then   here
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

If you're really interested in reading more, Click here and then   here

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
wow.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top