Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 7:44:39 AM EDT
I restarted this thread thich was locked on the "AR-15" forum because I posted it in the wrong forum.  OK, I think I'm in the acceptable and proper "general" forum now?

I had originally viewed the video on a websight that I couldn't relocate. Here is the link to the video on  another web sight which was submitted by another ARFCOM subscriber.  The same video that I saw on the different web sight had captions included  that explained the attack was initiated by a C130 from 2 1/2 miles away.  

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/apache_gun_footage.htm

QUESTION: What ammo do you summize was  being fired fired. 50 cal? Are the projectiles explosive, or just merely solid bullets that cause such devestation when concentrated on small target? Sorry, if I sound ignorant, but I know some about my .45 auto and 30-06, but little about military armament.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
25mm is king.

C130 Gunships, ontop of 20/25mm also got 40mm HE and a 105mm howitzer
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be an AH-64 Apache using a 30 MM cannon.

www.aviationexplorer.com/apache_gun_footage.htm

Better version on the same video (35 meg)

AH-64 Apache info

M230 30 MM gun info

And this video has been posted many times here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]

The Herky Bird (C-130) was probably the command and control ship.
DaddyDett

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!  I sold mine because I couldn't afford ammo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sweet!  I sold mine because I couldn't afford ammo.

Me too!  by the way, love your state flag /avatar, though I have no idea what the hell it means.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok....let's see......in terms I can understand and relate with since I have a 50 cal dummy round, and an empty 80 cal casing to know what a really big bullet is.......

You say this was an Apache Helicopter firing "30mm cannon". So uh;  if my Remington 5mm is 20 caliber, and 5mm goes into 30mm 6 times, then 6 x 20cal. = 120 caliber.

So that was 120 caliber solid bullets spraying them there roaches? I guess you use an Elephant gun on a squirrel if that's all you happen to be armed with at the moment (.....and as long as your not planning on having any squirrel meat left over for dinner.)

I'll bet that those 120 cal. projectiles were doing a job on those roaches,  in much the same way a 22-250 causes high blood pressure in a prarie dog.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Something like that,

I was hoping for another Herky Bird vid.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok....let's see......in terms I can understand and relate with since I have a 50 cal dummy round, and an empty 80 cal casing to know what a really big bullet is.......

You say this was an Apache Helicopter firing "30mm cannon". So uh;  if my Remington 5mm is 20 caliber, and 5mm goes into 30mm 6 times, then 6 x 20cal. = 120 caliber.

So that was 120 caliber solid bullets spraying them there roaches? I guess you use an Elephant gun on a squirrel if that's all you happen to be armed with at the moment (.....and as long as your not planning on having any squirrel meat left over for dinner.)

I'll bet that those 120 cal. projectiles were doing a job on those roaches,  in much the same way a 22-250 causes high blood pressure in a prarie dog.  

Pretty much.

There's nothing really to hide behind when being targeted from a 30mm cannon and when being attacked by a chopper, all you can do is hide.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Those are HE rounds, not solid bullets.

b. High Explosive, Dual Purpose M789. The M789 HEDP is an antimateriel and antipersonnel round. The projectile body is steel and is loaded with a 340 grain (.76 ounce) explosive charge and a spin compensated shaped charge liner that has a PD (M759) fuze. The cartridge case is aluminum. The fuze arms while the projectile is in flight and initiates the projectile's explosive filler upon impact. The shaped charge liner collapses with detonation that creates an armor piercing jet. Fragmentation of the projectile body also occurs that can produce antipersonnel effects within a 4-meter radius. Estimated penetration performance was interpolated from a graph contained in a gun system effectiveness report. This report reflected penetration in excess of 2.0 inches (50 mm) RHA at 2,500 meters.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/1-140/CH5.HTM
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
25mm is king.

C130 Gunships, ontop of 20/25mm also got 40mm HE and a 105mm howitzer

The Apache fires nearly 100 30 mm cannon rounds in all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top