Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:37:40 AM EDT
Sorry, but the phrase "shut your cockholster you useless bitch" immediately comes to mind.

www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/4/101101.shtml

Sunday, Sept. 4, 2005 10:06 a.m. EDT

Mary Landrieu: I'll Punch Bush, 'Literally'

Sen. Mary Landrieu threatened the president of the United States with physical violence on Sunday, saying that if he or any other government official criticizes New Orleans police for failing to keep civil order in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - "I might likely have to punch him - literally."

"If one person criticizes [our sheriffs], or says one more thing, including the president of the United States, he will hear from me - one more word about it after this show airs and I - I might likely have to punch him - literally," Landrieu railed on "ABC's "This Week."

It is illegal to threaten the president with physical violence.

The Louisiana Democrat blasted Bush for neglecting the New Orleans levees, and demanded that he stop using the disaster for "photo-ops."

"The president came here yesterday for a photo-op," Landrieu charged, while surveying the disaster scene via helicopter with "This Week" host George Stephanopoulos in tow. "He got his photo-op but we are never going to get this fixed if he does not send us help now."

Landrieu also blamed Bush for cutting funding for levee improvement, before bursting into tears on camera.

In recent days, Louisiana officials have been criticized for bungling evacuation and rescue efforts. One of those officials, Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu, is Sen. Landrieu's brother.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Crazy broad.  She has no problem critisizing others, but no one is allowed to critisize her state's botched preparedness, huh?

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Threaten the POTUS eh?  Time for a visit from the nice men of the Secret Service.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The handle on my toilet broke, and the water won't stop running. I think it's Bush's fault.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Landrieu also blamed Bush for cutting funding for levee improvement, before bursting into tears on camera.

Why should there be any Federal funding of NOLA's levees?  If Louisiana wants to maintain a very expensive city below sea level, why should other states have to pay for it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Seriously.. any chance of forwarding this to the Secret Service?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
She's cute, I'd do her.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I rarely post, but I'll come out of my bunker for this one.

Is it just me or is the New Orleans/Louisiana leadership(and I use the word leadership loosely here) creating as much fuss about Bush and others as possible so people won't notice how worthless of a job they did up to, and immediately after, the hurricane?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is it just me or is the New Orleans/Louisiana leadership(and I use the word leadership loosely here) creating as much fuss about Bush and others as possible so people won't notice how worthless of a job they did up to, and immediately after, the hurricane?

BINGO
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
She's cute, I'd do her.

You need glasses dude.

And maybe even a vagina if you want her to be interested in you LOL

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Her levee statement shows just how clueless she really is.  The levee that failed was checked out by the Army Corps of Engineers and was not in need of attention.  The levees that were in question DID NOT FAIL. If New Orleans had recieved their every wish for funding of the levee project, this disaster would have happened anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

As I understand it, that one is true. Bush cut the funding to the US Army Corp of Engineers division that maintained and improved the levees. I think it was by about $71 million.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy shit! I wonder if she will get away with it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Stupid bitch.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She's cute, I'd do her.

You need glasses dude.

www.gabriellegiffords.com/Gallery/ImgGallery/Landrieu.jpg

She looks thinner on TV.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
She's cute, I'd do her.

You need glasses dude.

She looks thinner on TV.

Nice backpedal
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#17]
LAs liberal political cronies are worthless, always have been, always will be. Any senator who bawls on camera is not ready to play in the big leagues, and shows the shallowness and lack of moral fortitude needed in times of crisis. Bawl later, action needed now. Funny thing is, good [tho very lib] friends wife told me the other day that she will never vote for a woman again because they just cannot handle serious problems without going all emotional. Both were not  Bush supporters either by any sense of the word.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Incompetent cow.

Typical blame everyone else, accept ZERO reponsibility.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I understand it, that one is true. Bush cut the funding to the US Army Corp of Engineers division that maintained and improved the levees. I think it was by about $71 million.

1st the President don't cut any thing Congress does...

Landrieu is in Congress not Bush.

So put the blame where it belongs on herself

And spending $71 million instead of a requested $120 million is not a cut anyway.

2nd it was the new improved levee that failed... which makes you wonder if any amount of money would have made any difference.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#20]
A real career limiting move. She found a way to cut herself off from access to the President when her state REALLY needs her help. Stupid bitch.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO, she's not a fruit loop because of the levee quote, but because she is a United States Senator who allowed herself to become an emotional wreck on national T.V.

How about some self-control? How about some strong leadership? How about some personal responsibility? I guess these traits are not prerequisites for being elected to office down in LA!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Watched her interview with George Stepanapolis this morning.  When that came out of her mouth along with her "photo opp" remarks, I thought, what a stupid disrespectful bitch and turned the channel.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1st the President don't cut any thing Congress does...

Landrieu is in Congress not bush.

And spending $71 million instead of a requested $120 million is not a cut anyway.

2nd it was the new improved levee that failed... which makes you wonder if any amount of money would have made any difference.

Anyway to look up who voted on holding back funding? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if she had been one of the ones that voted against it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#24]
She visited my high school in 1995 when she was first running for office. Not impressive at all. She was tripped up when my friend asked her stance on abortion (I went to a catholic school). She is a Hillary Clinton wannabe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, so ALL that money would DEFINITELY and EXCLUSIVELY gone to levee repair THIS YEAR, right?

Sure!

Forty years of passing the buck, but now they pin it on Bush. Typical!

Where were YOU Senator, when the bill was being debated? Obviously you're not very effective if they got a $235MM dollar bridge built in Alaska for a town of 6000 people, but you lost $71MM for a city of over a million.

Seems to me the one with the black eye here is YOU, bitch!

Oh, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try to punch the President! I'd PAY to see the SS take your ass down HARD!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
She's cute, I'd do her.

You need glasses dude.

She looks thinner on TV.

Shouldn't you beep when you back up like that?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#27]
IF funds were spent on fixin' up dem Levees, Bush woulda gotta shit for wasting funds...
Gotta wonder: is there any proof that Bush reduced the size of the levees that Clinton built in his 8 years...just a question
Pete
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#28]
just some red meat she was throwing our for the liberal base, ignore it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#29]
OK,

so who put all those folks into the Superdome with no add'l food or water? - NO Mayor
Who didnt have backup command & control, communications, or any type of disaster planing to manage his police force? - NO Mayo & Chief of Police

Yeah, it's Bushs fault.... How do people so inept get elected to office as Mayor of the 25th largest city, and worse a member of congress?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Her levee statement shows just how clueless she really is.  The levee that failed was checked out by the Army Corps of Engineers and was not in need of attention.  The levees that were in question DID NOT FAIL. If New Orleans had recieved their every wish for funding of the levee project, this disaster would have happened anyway.

Interesting, Any data to back that statement up?
I would love some proof.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sorry, but the phrase "shut your cockholster you useless bitch" immediately comes to mind.

www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/4/101101.shtml

Sunday, Sept. 4, 2005 10:06 a.m. EDT

Mary Landrieu: I'll Punch Bush, 'Literally'

Sen. Mary Landrieu threatened the president of the United States with physical violence on Sunday, saying that if he or any other government official criticizes New Orleans police for failing to keep civil order in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - "I might likely have to punch him - literally."

"If one person criticizes [our sheriffs], or says one more thing, including the president of the United States, he will hear from me - one more word about it after this show airs and I - I might likely have to punch him - literally," Landrieu railed on "ABC's "This Week."

It is illegal to threaten the president with physical violence.

The Louisiana Democrat blasted Bush for neglecting the New Orleans levees, and demanded that he stop using the disaster for "photo-ops."

"The president came here yesterday for a photo-op," Landrieu charged, while surveying the disaster scene via helicopter with "This Week" host George Stephanopoulos in tow. "He got his photo-op but we are never going to get this fixed if he does not send us help now."

In recent days, Louisiana officials have been criticized for bungling evacuation and rescue efforts. One of those officials, Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu, is Sen. Landrieu's brother.

Holy crap... Cockholster is the funniest thing I have ever heard of.  I actually laughed out loud at that.  man I am going to add it to my repitoir. now if we could do something about mother nature this Katrina thing could have been prevented.  

jim
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love some proof.

I heard it from Hannity.  He was talking about the levee program on his show thursday and I caught the end of the segment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love some proof.

Oh yea this has been reported all over the place.

The levees that failed were not the ones that were considered danger spots and not the ones targeted for improvement.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
OK,

so who put all those folks into the Superdome with no add'l food or water? - NO Mayor
Who didnt have backup command & control, communications, or any type of disaster planing to manage his police force? - NO Mayo & Chief of Police

Yeah, it's Bushs fault.... How do people so inept get elected to office as Mayor of the 25th largest city, and worse a member of congress?  

Because their constituents are idiots.

Had Dinkins been mayor on 9/11, we'd have seen the same shit here in NYC.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Precisely!

But don't worry, Sen. Bill Frist has already called for Congressional Hearings to be held on the poor response effort. Those responsible will have to answer to Congress -and the people- for thier lack of preparedness and leadership.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love some proof.

I only heard it once on Fox, but apparently there was a witness that saw two loose barges hit the levee and rupture it.  The guy that witnessed it said he saw the whole thing and that he lost his wife and famly in the flood.  I don't know if it is true or not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If anyone deserves a donkey punch in the tit, Mary Landrieu does.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#40]
She left out this little gift from D.C.... but it won't play well as most of the folks that did nothing for themselves live off the taxes of others...

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today announced special relief for taxpayers in the Presidential Disaster Areas struck by Hurricane Katrina.

These taxpayers generally will have until Oct. 31, 2005, to file tax returns and submit tax payments. The IRS will abate interest and any late filing or late payment penalties that would otherwise apply. This relief includes the Sept. 15 due date for estimated taxes and for calendar-year corporate returns with automatic extensions.

“People affected by Hurricane Katrina have more than enough concerns –– taxes shouldn’t be among them,” said IRS Commissioner Mark W. Everson. “We hope the relief we are providing will help taxpayers in their financial recovery from this devastating storm.”

The disaster areas designated for individual relief include:

• 31 Louisiana parishes: Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Pointe Coupee, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana;

• 15 Mississippi counties: Amite, Forrest, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Lamar, Marion, Pearl River, Perry, Pike, Stone, Walthall, and Wilkinson; and

• Three Alabama counties: Baldwin, Mobile and Washington.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She's cute, I'd do her.

You need glasses dude.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
She's cute, I'd do her.

You need glasses dude.

She looks thinner on TV.

No she doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Mouth was engaged before the brain was.  Lots of lipservice from those locals.  The Mary L I have seen on TV is plump..

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Stupid bitch.

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Bullseye!

If the local governement down there has a clue how to run its domain, Bush wouldnt be involved at all. Everyone is bitching about the lack of response by the federal governement...........hey, heres a newsflash....the federal government was sufficiently prepared to respond to a hurricane...not civil unrest. I seriously doubt that the feds were expecting to deploy soldiers to battle an insurgency in our own fucking country! They were set up to provide aid....not suppressive fire.

Any just one more thing.....when hurricane Andrew hit florida, an Army buddy of mine was deployed down there to tent city to administer food, ice, water....and to help clean up. They didnt even have rifles or sidearms....just towels and first aid kits. Florida was devastated....masses were homeless, lost everthing, had no food, had no hope......

and yet, they werent shooting at the police, the soldiers, or anyone else.
They just bunkered down, dealt with the issue at hand, and rebuilt.
I dont seem to remember the president getting blame for that one........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
She is a Hillary Clinton wannabe.

But without the brains.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Here is something form the liberal Los Angeles Times, this paper is the liberal's liberal of newspapers for those that don't already know it.
=========================================================================
Los Angeles Times: Despite Warnings, Washington Failed to Fund Levee Projects

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-levee4sep04,0,3450779.story?coll=la-home-headlines

KATRINA'S AFTERMATH
Despite Warnings, Washington Failed to Fund Levee Projects
To cut spending, officials gambled that the worst-case scenario would not come
to be.
By Richard A. Serrano and Nicole Gaouette
Times Staff Writers

September 4, 2005

WASHINGTON — For years, Washington had been warned that doom lurked just beyond
the levees. And for years, the White House and Congress had dickered over how
much money to put into shoring up century-old dikes and carrying out newer flood
control projects to protect the city of New Orleans.

As recently as three months ago, the alarms were sounding — and being brushed
aside.

In late May, the New Orleans district of the Army Corps of Engineers formally
notified Washington that hurricane storm surges could knock out two of the big
pumping stations that must operate night and day even under normal conditions to
keep the city dry.

Also, the Corps said, several levees had settled and would soon need to be
raised. And it reminded Washington that an ambitious flood-control study
proposed four years before remained just that — a written proposal never put
into action for lack of funding.

What a powerful hurricane could do to New Orleans and the area's critical
transportation, energy and petrochemical facilities had been well understood. So
now, nearly a week into the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, hard
questions are being raised about Washington officials who crossed their fingers
and counted on luck once too often. The reasons the city's defenses were not
strengthened enough to handle such a storm are deeply rooted in the politics and
bureaucracy of Washington.

With the advantage of hindsight, the miscues seem even broader. Construction
proposals were often underfunded or not completed. Washington officials could
never agree on how much money would be needed to protect New Orleans. And there
hung in the air a false sense of security that a storm like Katrina was a long
shot anyway.

As a result, when the immediate crisis eases and inquiries into what went wrong
begin, there is likely to be responsibility and blame enough for almost every
institution in Washington, including the White House, Congress, the Army Corps
of Engineers and a host of other federal agencies.

For example, Lt. Gen. Carl Strock, the Corps commander, conceded Friday that the
government had known the New Orleans levees could never withstand a hurricane
higher than a Category 3. Corps officials shuddered, he said, when they realized
that Katrina was barreling down on the Gulf Coast with the vastly greater
destructive force of a Category 5 — the strongest type of hurricane.

Washington, he said, had rolled the dice.

Rather than come up with the extra millions of dollars needed to make the city
safer, officials believed that such a devastating storm was a small probability
and that, with the level of protection that had been funded, "99.5% of the time
this would work."

Unfortunately, Strock said, "we did not address the 0.5%."

Corps officials said the floodwaters breached at two spots: the 17th Street
Canal Levee and the London Avenue Canal Levee. Connie Gillette, a Corps
spokeswoman, said Saturday there never had been any plans or funds allocated to
shore up those spots — another sign the government expected them to hold.

Nevertheless, the Corps hardly was alone in failing to address what it meant to
have a major metropolitan area situated mostly below sea level, sitting squarely
in the middle of the Gulf Coast's Hurricane Alley.

Many federal, state and local flood improvement officials kept asking for more
dollars for more ambitious protection projects. But the White House kept scaling
down those requests. And each time, although congressional leaders were more
generous with funding than the White House, the House and Senate never got
anywhere near to approving the amounts that experts had said was needed.

What happened this year was typical: Local levee and flood prevention officials,
along with Sen. Mary L. Landrieu (D-La.), asked for $78 million in project
funds. President Bush offered them less than half that — $30 million. Congress
ended up authorizing $36.5 million.

Since Bush took office in 2001, local experts and Landrieu have asked for just
short of $500 million. Altogether, Bush in his yearly budgets asked for $166
million, and Congress approved about $250 million.

These budget decisions reflect a reality in Washington: to act with an eye
toward short-term political rewards instead of making long-term investments to
deal with problems.

Vincent Gawronski, an assistant professor at Birmingham Southern College in
Alabama who studies the political impact of natural disasters, said the lost
chances to shore up the levees were a classic example of government leaders who,
although meaning well, clashed over priorities.

"Elected politicians are in office for a limited amount of time and with a
limited amount of money, and they don't really have a long-term vision for
spending it," he said.

"So you spend your pot of money where you feel you're going to get the most
political support so you can get reelected. It's very difficult to think
long-term. If you invest in these levees, is that going to show an immediate
return or does it take away from anything else?"

Gawronski said flood control projects do not have the appeal of other endeavors,
such as cancer research and police protection. At the same time, Congress
habitually approves billions of dollars for highways and bridges and other
infrastructure that politically benefits individual congressmen.

Gawronski called it inexcusable for the United States to have been "gambling so
long" that the old levee system in New Orleans would hold.

"Disasters are often low probability, high consequence events, so there's a
gamble there," he said. "It's not going to happen on my watch, there's the
potential it might, but I'll bet it won't."

In the case of New Orleans and flood control, another factor was at work: the
reputation of the Corps of Engineers. Over the years, many in Washington had
come to regard the Corps as an out-of-control agency that championed huge
projects and sometimes exaggerated need and benefits.

The Corps began as a tiny regiment during the Revolutionary War era; it now
employs about 35,000 people to build dams, deepen harbors, dig ditches and erect
seawalls, among other things. But critics say some projects are make-work
boondoggles.

In 2000, Corps leaders were found to have manipulated an economic study to
justify a Mississippi River project that would have cost billions. The agency
also launched a secret growth initiative to boost its budget by 50%. And the
Pentagon found in 2000 that the Corps' cost-benefit analyses were systematically
skewed to warrant large-scale construction projects.

As a result, said a senior staffer with the Senate Appropriations Committee who
spoke on condition of anonymity, requests by the Corps for flood control money
were especially vulnerable to budget cutting. "A lot of people just look at it
as pork," said the staffer.

The Bush administration's former budget director, Mitch Daniels, was known as an
aggressive advocate for Corps reform who cast a skeptical eye on its budget
requests.

"The Army Corps of Engineers has a very large budget, and it has grown a lot
over recent years," Daniels, now the governor of Indiana, said. "To the extent
there's been any limitation of [the Corps'] budget, it has to do with previous
tendencies to build marinas and things that don't have much to do with preparing
us for disaster."

The Bush White House maintains it never ignored the security needs of the Gulf
Coast. "Flood control has been a priority of this administration from Day One,"
said White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan.

He said hundreds of millions of dollars were spent in the New Orleans area in
recent years for flood prevention, and he said the failure of the levees was not
a matter of money so much as a problem with drawing the right plans for the dike
work and other improvements.

"It's been more of a design issue with the levees," he said.

Other administration officials said there were not enough construction companies
and equipment to handle all the work that had been proposed.

John Paul Woodley Jr., assistant secretary of the Army for Civil Works, who has
responsibility for the Corps of Engineers, said: "It's true, we cannot
accomplish all of our projects at full funding all the time. I think that's true
of any agency, particularly any public works agency, but we had a lot of work
underway in New Orleans, and I was personally supportive of it.

"As a native of Louisiana," Woodley said, "I understand the problems associated
with flooding in New Orleans. I don't think there's any lack of support for
flood control projects in New Orleans, particularly within the context of other
projects around the country."

On Capitol Hill in recent years, several Democrats warned that more money should
be marked for the protection of New Orleans. For instance, in September 2004,
Landrieu said she was tired of hearing there was no money to do more work on
levees.

"We're told, can't do it this year. Don't have enough money. It's not a high
enough priority," she said in a Senate speech. "Well, I know when it's going to
get to be a high enough priority."

She then told of a New Orleans emergency worker who had collected several
thousand body bags in the event of a major flood. "Let's hope that never
happens," she said.

But in May 2004, then Senate Minority Whip Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said he had
visited the levees as a guest of Landrieu and believed them adequate.

He praised the ancient water pumps for keeping the waters from cascading into
the city, proclaiming them "these old, old pumps that hadn't been changed since
before the turn of the century, that still keep New Orleans dry."

"It was as clean as a restaurant," he added. "These big old pumps work."

Today, eight of those 22 pumps are underwater and inoperable.

Over the years, several projects either were short-changed or never got started.
The Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project was authorized by Congress
after a rainstorm killed six people in May 1995. It was to be finished in 10
years, but funding reductions prevented its completion before Katrina struck.

The Army Corps of Engineers did spend $430 million to renovate pumping stations
and shore up the levees. But experts said the project fell behind schedule after
funding was reduced in 2003 and 2004.

The Lake Pontchartrain Project was a $750-million Corps operation for new levees
and beefed-up pumping stations. Because of funding cuts, it was only 80%
complete when the hurricane hit.

The project that never was started was an examination of storm surges from large
hurricanes. Congress approved the study but did not allocate the funds for it.

In May, Al Naomi, the Corps' senior project manager for the New Orleans
district, reminded political and business leaders and emergency management
officials that a Category 4 or 5 hurricane was always possible. After that
meeting, Walter Brooks, the regional planning commission director, came away
shaking his head.

"We've learned that we're not as safe as we thought we were," he told the local
newspaper, the Times-Picayune.

Last week, Corps commander Strock defended past work, saying, it was his
"personal and professional assessment" that work in New Orleans was never
underfunded. What he meant by that, he explained, was that no one expected such
a large disaster before all the renovations and other improvements could be
completed.

"That was as good as it was going to get," he said. " We knew that it would
protect from a Category 3 hurricane. In fact, it has been through a number of
Category 3 hurricanes."

But, he said, Katrina's intensity "simply exceeded the design capacity of the
levee."

Asked whether in hindsight he wished more had been done, Strock said: "I really
don't express surprise in my business. We don't sit around and say 'Gee whiz.' "

Times staff writer Mary Curtius contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

LMFAO!!

NYPatriot, you crack me up. That's about as descriptive a comment -and spot on- as they come.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ACE reqeusted 78mil, it got slashed by the White House to $38m to Nation Build Iraq.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top