Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:24:14 AM EDT
You have to be kidding me... I guess the mullahs stop chanting death to america when hurricanes hit.

www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/HU0453288.htm

Iran offers old foe help over Katrina
04 Sep 2005 11:00:38 GMT
Source: Reuters

TEHRAN, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Iran on Sunday offered to send humanitarian aid to victims of hurricane Katrina, becoming the latest U.S. foe to extend assistance to the country often dubbed the "Great Satan" in the Islamic republic.

"The victims have complained about the lack of timely assistance and we are prepared to send our contributions to the people through the Red Crescent," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi.

Speaking at a weekly news conference, Asefi noted that Iran, which Washington has dubbed an "axis of evil" member and accuses of developing nuclear weapons and sponsoring terrorism, had been among the first countries to send condolences after Katrina hit.

"If Iran's help is needed and requested we'd respond to the call, however we should make sure first that there is such a request," he said.

Washington has given humanitarian aid to Iran in the past when natural disasters, such as earthquakes, have struck the Islamic republic.

Iranian media have devoted extensive coverage to the aftermath of Katrina with many newspapers revelling in criticism of U.S. President George W. Bush's handling of the relief effort.

Fellow "axis of evil" member North Korea, as well as staunch U.S. critics Cuba and Venezuela, have also offered to send help to the victims of Katrina.

AlertNet news is provided by
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they're just trying to rub our noses in it.   But it's a nice gesture.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Likewise the American people are good, it's just our leaders who can be questionable.

I say we just let the world leaders duke it out in a UFC match when they have differences and the world will be a better place.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Likewise the American people are good, it's just our leaders who can be questionable.

I say we just let the world leaders duke it out in a UFC match when they have differences and the world will be a better place.

I would buy that pay per view event for sure.

I would love to see Bush beat Chirac's ass.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No big surprise here.     Their motives are obvious...to put Bush in a bad light.

Like Bush caused the storm....

Historically, the Iranians were good friends of the US before the 1980 revolution.
Individually, the Iranians are still good people.    

CJ

Very true and that Iranian girl at my last client was smoking hot as well
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Not terribly surprising. We did the same when the earthquake in Bam, Iran on December 26, 2003 killed tens of thousands.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
there are some things that transcend politics. i'd like to think this is one of them.

I'd like a gold plated toilet, but its just not in the cards.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#9]
We sent them help after their earthquake.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
You know, sometimes the liberla in me wonders why the fuck we cant just all get along.
I think far too many times our paranoia is fed by our very politicians.
Take the aid, shake the hand and be happy. Shit.

Course, war is a mutli billion dollar industry. Far better to keep your citizens scared and the wheels of war grinding along.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You know, sometimes the liberla in me wonders why the fuck we cant just all get along.

Course, war is a mutli billion dollar industry. Far better to keep your citizens scared and the wheels of war grinding along.

If it weren't for the liberals looking to Blame Bush(tm) for everything that happens, then accepting aid from anyone who offers it wouldn't be a big deal.

Conversely, if something like this had happened when Clinton was getting blowjobs, then conservatives should be expected to STFU about accepting aid from anyone who offers it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So true... if only the world worked that way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it weren't for the liberals looking to Blame Bush(tm) for everything that happens, then accepting aid from anyone who offers it wouldn't be a big deal.

Conversely, if something like this had happened when Clinton was getting blowjobs, then conservatives should be expected to STFU about accepting aid from anyone who offers it.

Wait . . . what?  It's the conservatives who are pissed that we would accept aide from an Arab nation, not the liberals.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait . . . what?  It's the conservatives who are pissed that we would accept aide from an Arab nation, not the liberals.

Iran isn't an arab country... its persian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top