Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 5:55:40 AM EDT
Why not call them refugees. They have no homes, no jobs and in many cases, no city. They are seeking refuge. Are we so politically correct about it that we can't refer to people seeking refuge as refugees.

Someone please explain this to me
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Some peoples pride wont let them admit they are refugees.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE HAVE no idea what the word means
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
guess they want to be displace people instead. a refugee is a person in another country in there own mind .
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]
"refugee" has a meaning, and they are not refugees.

But if being called refugees is their biggest problem right now, then things are going real well for them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
nothing
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Cracks me up how the media is doing it.

I saw one broadcast, the news reader was saying "Many of the people affected by Hurricane Katrina take exception to the term 'refugee', they claim that it makes them seem less American."

<slight pause>

"Many refugees are... "

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Main Entry: ref·u·gee
Pronunciation: "re-fyu-'jE, 're-fyu-"
Function: noun
Etymology: French réfugié, past participle of (se) réfugier to take refuge, from Latin refugium
: one that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution
- ref·u·gee·ism  /-"i-z&m/ noun  

Refugee is probably the most accurate discriptor for the situation.  Just not politicaly correct any more to call a spade a spade. So we use the "V" word, and call them disaster victims because we all know what happened to them is not at all there own fault.

Here in Houston we are calling them Our Undocumented Tourists.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why not call them refugees. They have no homes, no jobs and in many cases, no city. They are seeking refuge. Are we so politically correct about it that we can't refer to people seeking refuge as refugees.

Someone please explain this to me

Nail on the head

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I am definitley not perfect when it comes to word usage, but I think evacuee would probably fit better than refugee. But is evacuee an actual word anyway? I always understood refugee was fleeing their country because of persecution or because of a war which none of the New Orleans citizens are.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#10]
From our friends at DU:

blondeatlast  (1000+ posts)      Sun Sep-04-05 10:13 AM
Response to Reply #2
5. It's the connotation for me. Mind that I'm a bit nit-picky about language
My connotation (the meaning I PERSONALLY ascribe to the word) is an "other," for instance, I see it as undermining our view of the victims/refugees/etc. as being fellow American citizens, that's why my back goes up when I hear Chertoff use it.

Now that I've gone back and read an official definition of the word, I think refugee fits in nicely. I do see the people in the Southeast as victims of political oppression, as much as my heart aches to believe it.
I just want to get others' thoughts on the use of the two terms. Now that I've looked more carefully, I see they can easily be used interchangeably.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#11]
From my Websters Dictionary:

Refugee: A person who flees to find safety.

So, I have no problem with using the word based on this definition. Call me insensitive, but I am not degrading anybody by calling them a refugee. I am simply using a word that the common english language has given us to communicate with.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Ummm, what political oppression???  Unless of course you mean the hurricane created by President Bush
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't be niggardly when using the term refugee to describe the people displaced by hurricane Katrina.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Don't be niggardly when using the term refugee to describe the people displaced by hurricane Katrina.  

What he said!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#15]
ibtl
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#16]
nig·gard·ly    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (ngrd-l)
adj.
1:  Grudging and petty in giving or spending.
2:  Meanly small; scanty or meager: left the waiter a niggardly tip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
niggard·li·ness n.
niggard·ly adv.

ETA:  Provided before some asshole gets their panties in a wad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top