Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 10:35:23 PM EDT
Friend of mine quit smoking and on the patch. Now my friend is going through withdrawals and getting jitters... its only been 2.5 days.

I told him that it takes 3 weeks to really get over the jitters and start feeling better about himself. What say you? I told him the other option to forget about the smoking is take up either Heroin or Cocaine... He poo pooed that idea

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember the "jitters",but for me after about two weeks I stopped craving and obssessing over smoking a cigarette every second of every day.

After that my shackles were gone and it wasn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had the jitters or seen anyone with them....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I quite smokeing seven years ago, I still want to smoke ever time I have a beer so I quite drinking beer and started drinking Bourbon. I never had jitters, but I became edgy. Still am
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Friend of mine quit smoking and on the patch. Now my friend is going through withdrawals and getting jitters... its only been 2.5 days.

I told him that it takes 3 weeks to really get over the jitters and start feeling better about himself. What say you? I told him the other option to forget about the smoking is take up either Heroin or Cocaine... He poo pooed that idea

How long has he smoked?  Caffiene is kind of the same way you have seen someon who sucks down 12 tripleshot cappucinos a day?  Ever see them go without, its hilarious.  Seriously just encourage your friend to stick with it, remind about all the extra money he will have left.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Just made me really pissy for about a week or two. Of course, as my favorite teacher use to say, "you never REALLY quit smoking...you are just between cigarettes." Seems to have held true for me. Every now and then...I smoke one. Might be a month....or a year....but I'm still just between them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I let you know when....I finish my smoke.

I should know better...smokers kind of pay my bills. We put paitents on the patch immediately when they are admitted with MI's. The first thing they want to do after a PTCA/CABG is smoke.....after five days or so in "lock down" they are VERY jittery and bitchy....can't blame them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't had one in 30 minutes. All this talk about smoking is getting to me. I'll brb.

For what it's worth, most people seem to be over the jitters in 2 weeks, as far as I can tell. I made it 4 days, but failed because I realized that I don't really want to quit and I just like smoking.

Remind him that he will no longer be a second class citizen, and he'll have alot more money in his clean smelling pockets.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
No smoking in last eight months and was just mean for a few weeks, then pissed for a few months.  I also had to give up my beloved beer.  Joe
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Mrs. Colt_SBR quit smoking and drinking 35 years ago, cold turkey.  She did it for me.    

She still has a drink about three times a year.  

She never picked up a cigarette again.  She still has dreams about going into a store and buying cigarettes.  Now, cigarette smoke bothers the heck out of her.  She can't stand the smell or smoke.  

I wish your friend luck.  Most smokers don't stay off cigarettes for long.    
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate non smoking bars.

Bars are supposed to be smokey alters to the sacred brew! I hate clean, non smoking bars filled with metrosexual yuppies.

All I want to do is drink, look at a cute female bartender, shoot the shit, and smoke my damned cigarettes.
Is that too much to ask?

I gotta go have a smoke...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I was told by a docter that the chemical craving is gone with the nicotene in three days.  After that it's the mental battle that you have to deal with which is never over for some and is over in three days for others.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It's the most miserable experience in the world.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#13]
If He's getting symptoms like that he should talk to doctor or pharmacist about getting something to help out temporarily.

I quit 20 years ago, cold turkey, first week really tough, after a week I kept telling myself "I've gone x number of days now, I can do it. The mental part was hard for months, just wanted to smoke, didn't NEED to though.

A word of caution... About 1 year ago I had a friend at work who kept bugging me to have a smoke with him, I kept saying no, then had one. Then had another a few days later. And I shit you not after smoking maybe 5 cigarettes over a period of 2 weeks I STARTED CRAVING AGAIN BIG TIME, JUST LIKE 20 YEARS AGO.

When I felt that pull again it was kind of scary, NEVER will smoke again now. NEVER!

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I quit smoking one time by the water method,plus it will also keep you hydrated, the eight glasses of water a day you are supposed to drink you just space them out to breaks at work,carry bottled water with you and drink big gulps when you feel the urge then sip throughout the day. plus during breaks while other people are smoking you can play with the cap to keep your hands busy.and act goofy it will lighten your mood.

btw I quit quitting
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been off the shit for, what, 16 days now?  Cold turkey method (after weening myself down to 2-3 a day for a month).

All the really noticable physical dependency symptoms were gone after about 3 days.  I still get an itch a few times a day...but that's just psychological.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've been off the shit for, what, 16 days now?  Cold turkey method (after weening myself down to 2-3 a day for a month).

All the really noticable physical dependency symptoms were gone after about 3 days.  I still get an itch a few times a day...but that's just psychological.

Im on day two.

Funny thing is that I can go all day and not be bothered until evening time....then I crave a smoke BAD.

But Im holding strong.....I am stronger than those damn cancer sticks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I quit smoking almost two years ago. Don't remember any "jitters" at all and I haven't had the urge to smoke since I quit. Guess I'm the exception--I remember how crappy it made me feel, and I have no desire to relive that.

Tell your friend to start exercising on a regular basis. That helped me. That and the heroin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I quit almost 1 year ago when they decided to increase the taxes on them. Just changed my habits when it was smoke time like forcing myself not to smoke in the car to work and such. I cant smoke at work so that helps there and the nagging wife takes care of the home smoking.

I wanted to choke people out for stupid things around me so I picked up chewing tobacco to relieve that urge. Now I am trying to stop the cans since they are costing too much also but it does help the urge to play Darth Vader. At least I dont smell like an ashtray anymore, just have to wipe the brown dribble off the shirt if my spit gets the wrong windage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#20]
No jitters but I wasn't a heavy smoker either. A pack every other day when I decided to quit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#21]
The psychological part was far worse for me than any phsyical withdrawls. I finally quit during a really busy week. Smoked my last cigarette, went to bed, then went into one of the most frantic weeks of my life. Didn't have time to smoke!

Unfortunately, things are back to their boring norm now, so the urge to have a smoke pokes its ugly little head every now and again, and I quit 3 months ago.

ETA: Chewing on straws and toothpicks really helps me a lot if I get the urge to smoke.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quit 25 yrs ago.  Did something called the clip in the ear.  That said, there will almost always be an urge to have one.  That will pass and so will the withdrawl syptoms.  Can't stand to be around ciggie smoke now.  Week to ten days and the shakes, etc will be gone for life if'n he stays off them.  Lots of ammo for the cig money.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#23]
On Oct. 23, 2005 at approx. 5:30P.M. I will have been quit for exactly 5 years.  Smoked my last waiting on the meat wagon to pick me up for the heart attack I was having.

Is your friend on the pill?  I think it's called Zyban or something like that.  I found out, afer a couple of weeks,  I still had the jitters and it was caused by the med I was taking to help me quit.  I never did use the patch cause the Dr. said I could not have the nicotine in any form.

I simply cannot stand to be around smoke of any kind anymore, especially cigarette smoke, but I still want one at times.

Best of luck to him.  He should feel better in a couple of weeks than he has in years.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#24]
peak of physical withdrawal is a couple of days after quitting, should subside after 5 days or so,

Psychological addiction takes longer to break - patch works very well for gradually weaning people off nicotine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Day 2 off cigarettes.  Anybody wanna fight? At 35 I have already smoked for 18 1/2 yrs of my life...now I am quitting for the kids.  BTW- as Reg nurse, I have seen 50 yr old persons gasping for air b/c of cigarette induced emphysema.  Gasp for air until the hospice nurse gives them enough morphine to slow that down, well......, then they die.

Even though it feels 'bad' right now, it also feels good to put this past me.

Best of luck everyone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#26]
My .02.  
2 pack a day, my wife was a heavy smoker also.  I stopped so long ago I don't remember the year.  It was my birthday present to myself just before midnight.  
Many good points brought up so far, mental  is more important than physical.  You have to want to do it for yourself, otherwise you have someone else to blame for your feeling bad.  Doctor, wife, kids.  "I'm suffering because of you".  
'Cinnamon red hot' candy helped me the most as far as cravings.  Enough of that will kill any craving for cigarretts (sp).  Try to find something else to occupy your mind for the few minutes.  All it takes is just don't smoke the next one.  Short term goals to start with.  
I remember milestones--the first time I went to the store and didn't look at the cigarette display.  Now I don't remember what kind I smoked and can't tell you what a pack or carton costs.  
I am also very sensitive to the smell of tobacco smoke now.  
Good luck and keep trying, I'm glad I stopped.  I don't quit anything, I just stopped smoking
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Two weeks, then he'll be in a better place. Make sure he's on a strong enough patch, should be 20 mg. Those first two weeks are rough man. After that it starts getting easier, I wish him the best. I seriously think my life would be entirely different had I not quite smoking, and by that I mean seriously different. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quit in mid Feb., and would almost kill for one right now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#29]
This kind of thing can be normal for some. It can also be a side effect from the patch.
My dr didn't want me using the patch. He said it put too much nicotine into my system at constant levels [even if small]. I am not a heavy smoker,...maybe five to seven a day. And that the patch wasn't good for people with any heart problems. [I have tachycardia]
So just a head's up for your friend. Might check into it if his or her situation is similar.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Bronchitis helped me quit - too weak to light a smoke.  Two weeks apssed, and the nicotene addiction was gone, however it took a few months to undo the psychological habit.  I think I've always been a high-energy / wired type of person before I smoked, so I just had to be re-accustomed to not having an instant fix to calm my nerves.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#31]
16 days or so here. The urge to kill is passing, but the urge to smoke remains.

I am usually ok--I crave a smoke first thing in the morning, because I used to have a smoke lit before my eyes opened.

Then around 5 in the evening. Right around lunch time. Then again at 1100 pm when I get home.

Other than a decreased willingness to tolerate stupid people, I am doing OK...

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Cold turkey the day my son was born 23 years ago . THE BEST thing I ever did . I still have dreams "...Ahww shit I smoked a cig. " .
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#33]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No jitters but I wasn't a heavy smoker either. A pack every other day when I decided to quit.

Same here.  1/2 pack a day for over 30 years...of unfiltered Camels or Pall Malls.

Gave up cigarettes about six years ago and took up cigars a few months ago.  They're as different as night and day.  No inhaling cigars and a lot more appreciation for the taste.  I'm good for a couple of cigars a day on my days off of work.  There's not enough time to sit and enjoy a cigar on workdays so I don't smoke.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Never had any problem quitting.  I'm an occasional smoker, I used to smoke much more than I do now.  I just never really got hooked to begin with.  All I have to do is run out of cigs in order to be able to stop.  I'm too tight with my money to go out and buy cigs
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I still have dreams "...Ahww shit I smoked a cig. " .

I hate those dreams. b
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:06:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Cold turkey the day my son was born 23 years ago . THE BEST thing I ever did . I still have dreams "...Ahww shit I smoked a cig. " .

About the same story here.. just quit, cold turkey, 27 years ago..

Still have dreams about being in a bar, getting drunk and lighting up...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top