Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/3/2005 7:38:00 PM EDT
Are they supposed to magically drive themselves?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My theory.

If the mayor actually used his brain.. he could have coordinated with mutiple agencies to transport people out of the city using the school buses, they had a whole 2/3 days to do it in. (Prior to the hurricane, of course)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
And the buses are all supposed to magically drive themselves and the evacuees out?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
This kid did -  

www.newschannel5.tv/2005/9/1/4255/Taking-refuge-in-the-Astrodome

Funny thing is, the article says he 'found' the abandoned school bus.

Saw him last night on the news, says he went into the bus yard's office, found the keys matching the bus number and when asked by the reporter - "Did you steal it?" He said 'Yes, I stole it.'

In my eyes, he commandeered it.  Good job kid!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And the buses are all supposed to magically drive themselves and the evacuees out?

What part about..

"Coordinate with agencies" didn't you comprehend?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Again I say... holy shit. Is this a serious question?

ETA: I am glad I joined ARFCOM in 2004 because 2003 semes like it was the year of the Ass mentally challenged.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Out of the roughly 100,000 or so they were saying didn't have a way out - if they couldn't find 200 to drive buses.............................
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The guys who normally drive them? I mean, if you issued an evacuation call, you might as well recall the drivers for a one-way trip.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would learn real quick!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The guys who normally drive them? I mean, if you issued an evacuation call, you might as well recall the drivers for a one-way trip.

+1 - also protects those assets
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not the space shuttle. How hard is it to find someone capable of driving a bus??
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Fucking A, you load that bus with 70 people, I can guaranfuckingtee you that you could find ONE, count it ONE person on that bus (a) can drive and (b) will drive.

Did you pick your username or did your momma decide you earned it?????????
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
How hard could it be to drive a bus? Im sure some of those people could have figured it out in order to save their life
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
And do what?  Order those school bus drivers to ignore their own families needs to drive 100's of thousands of people out of the state back and forth?  

You can't make anybody do anything in this country without pointing guns at their heads.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Text of article:

HOUSTON -- NEWSCHANNEL 5 crews were in Houston as some desperate refugees arrived in a stolen bus.

HOUSTON -- Thousands of refugees of Hurricane Katrina were transported to the Astrodome in Houston this week. In an extreme act of looting, one group actually stole a bus to escape ravaged areas in Louisiana.

About 100 people packed into the stolen bus. They were the first to enter the Houston Astrodome, but they weren't exactly welcomed.

The big yellow school bus wasn't expected or approved to pass through the stadium's gates. Randy Nathan, who was on the bus, said they were desperate to get out of town.

"If it werent for him right there," he said, "we'd still be in New Orleans underwater. He got the bus for us."

Eighteen-year-old Jabbor Gibson jumped aboard the bus as it sat abandoned on a street in New Orleans and took control.

"I just took the bus and drove all the way here...seven hours straight,' Gibson admitted. "I hadn't ever drove a bus."

The teen packed it full of complete strangers and drove to Houston. He beat thousands of evacuees slated to arrive there.

"I t's better than being in New Orleans," said fellow passenger Albert McClaud, "we want to be somewhere where we're safe."

During a long and impatient delay, children popped their heads out of bus windows and mothers clutched their babies.

One 8-day-old infant spent the first days of his life surrounded by chaos. He's one of the many who are homeless and hungry.

Authorities eventually allowed the renegade passengers inside the dome. But the 18-year-old who ensured their safety could find himself in a world of trouble for stealing the school bus.

"I dont care if I get blamed for it ," Gibson said, "as long as I saved my people."

Sixty legally chartered buses were expected to arrive in Houston throughout the night. Thousands of people will be calling the Astrodome "home," at least for now.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And do what?  Order those school bus drivers to ignore their own families needs to drive 100's of thousands of people out of the state back and forth?  

You can't make anybody do anything in this country without pointing guns at their heads.

You don't have to order them... leave them behind if they don't want to go.

Thats why we have firefighters/cops etc.... hence the "agencies" part.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm gonna go with "Bus Drivers" for $100 Alex.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Some 17 year old kid manged to figure out how to drive one.

It ain't like flying the space shuttle.

The voice of reason. Someone would step up and drive.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You are missing the point  here Schmeghead,THE PEOPLE  on the bus drive the bus!!!!!!!

They don't need no stinking badges!!!!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The plan was to give shelter to people at the Superdome and Convention Center.  When the levee's broke how long do you think they had to muster 200 drivers to drive 200 buses and load up 4000 (20ppl x 200 buses) before the buses were already flooded?

Would it have made a difference if we're talking a 1 way trip?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ya, I gotta imagine people who know how to drive trucks and buses are incredibly rare in a port city like New Orleans.

And also most people have never ridden on a bus in years so they probably wouldn't know how to sit down in them properly. They'd be wandering all over the bus disoriented and confused, it would be chaos.

Clearly a bad idea all around. The Mayor clearly foresaw this problem and cleverly ignored the buses.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
dont encourage/feed the
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Who drives kids to school everyday? Ever watch South Park? If that "woman" could drive a bus, any guy with testicles could do it lol...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Fucking A, you load that bus with 70 people, I can guaranfuckingtee you that you could find ONE, count it ONE person on that bus (a) can drive and (b) will drive.

People must think that busses have some way of defying physics. A bus cannot hold 70ppl. No way in hell, there is not enough room and the motor/chassis would probably fail. You average school bus is rated for 30+/- high schoolers, and trust me, you don't want anymore people them that for a 7 hour+ trip.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The plan was to give shelter to people at the Superdome and Convention Center.  When the levee's broke how long do you think they had to muster 200 drivers to drive 200 buses and load up 4000 (20ppl x 200 buses) before the buses were already flooded?

I'm not a genius or anything but what if, and I'm only saying, WHAT IF they actually brought the buses to the Superdome "just in case"?

You know, like in case something went wrong. You could maybe have buses and drivers ready "just in case."

You know, kinda like a prepared plan "just in case."
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, make the firefighers and cops drive those buses out of the state, then what?  Bus them all back?  That would make a big problem worst, having firefighters and cops drive buses instead of doing their REAL JOB.

Real deep thinking there bud.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, make the firefighers and cops drive those buses out of the state, then what?  Bus them all back?  That would make a big problem worst, having firefighters and cops drive buses instead of doing their REAL JOB.

Yea.... cuz there's a lot of fires that need putting out.

The criminals must have broken into the NOU chemistry department's sodium stash.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not a genius or anything but what if, and I'm only saying, WHAT IF they actually brought the buses to the Superdome "just in case"?

You know, like in case something went wrong. You could maybe have buses and drivers ready "just in case."

You know, kinda like a prepared plan "just in case."

Well, I agree with you there.  But, where do you "park" 200 buses in and around the Superdome?  That would have made getting out of town for people in personal vehicles impossible.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

How fucking hard is it to drive a bus?  Jesus, people - some of you are just as bad as the liberals - "Oh, someone please take care of me!  Feed me, clothe me, wipe my ass, drive the bus."

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
dont encourage/feed the

dont encourage or feed your mind either, mr troll.  :K
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well, I agree with you there.  But, where do you "park" 200 buses in and around the Superdome?  That would have made getting out of town for people in personal vehicles impossible.

It's because people like this dipshit that the damn relief effort took so damn long. Always finding a reason not to do something.

Do something! Take the initiative! Adapt to the circumstances!

Excuses, excuses, grumble, grumble. Where's my government supplied hot chow and a/c?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]
With the state of the roads (the interstate was made outbound-only, so there was no viable way for return-traffic to come get more people), any organized evac of the left-overs would have had to be by air...

So, how many soon-to-be refugees fit in a C-5A???

'Cause that's the only way they could have got them out (non-driving-types)...

Also, I wonder how many stay behinds were the 'I can take it, it's just a little storm' types who could have gone but didn't...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Folks this is pointless.  Ignore him.

It was Bush's fault there were no plans to use the availible mass transit.   Get with the program here.  We have been told what to think now get to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#35]
These are regular-sized buses we're talking about here, Schmeghead, not the short ones you're familiar with.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#37]
If the mayor had EVACUATED THE CITY using the school busses, then there would be no need for the buses to be at the Superdome or convention center, BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE NO ONE TO EVACUATE!
Also compare:
Your average bus driver -> HS grad or GED
Astronaut -> BS, MS or PhD
It can't be that hard.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Jesus wept and died for our sins. This is a great example of the mind set that led to the chaos this past week.

Since starting in the fire service, I've come to divide the world into two groups; Those who problem solve, and those who sit around with their thumbs up their butts waiting for others to solve the problems, so they can bitch about how it was done.

Sparky, maybe if you study every night and practice a whole lot, you too can learn how to drive a friggen automobile someday. You too can be one of the elite. In the meantime, dont worry too much. People like me will keep taking care of people like you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Good God numbnuts..how dumb are you? 20 people? Whens the last time you rode school bus? They hold 66 passengers and you just read the story on the kid that drove 100 to Houston, how'd he do that? Moron.

Man, our country is screwed if these liberal twits never learn to think.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
dont encourage/feed the

I have come to the conclusion that "Schmeg-Short Bus-Head" is not a troll...  Just a douchebag ....

Carry on ....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm gonna go with "Bus Drivers" for $100 Alex.

No really... the kids don't drive the buses to school everyday.

You don't think NO already employed school bus drivers to ACTUALLY drive the buses each day… do you?

Maybe the normal drivers could not possibly drive outside city limits… a anti-city school bus driver force field around the city maybe?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Well what should have ben done? At least give us your solution.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If the mayor had EVACUATED THE CITY using the school busses, then there would be no need for the buses to be at the Superdome or convention center, BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE NO ONE TO EVACUATE!
Also compare:
Your average bus driver -> HS grad or GED
Astronaut -> BS, MS or PhD
It can't be that hard.

Evacuate 100,000 people on 200 school buses........mmmmkay.......by your math that's 500 people per bus!  WOW!  Incredible how the public school system has failed us.....you're living proof.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good God numbnuts..how dumb are you? 20 people? Whens the last time you rode school bus? They hold 66 passengers and you just read the story on the kid that drove 100 to Houston, how'd he do that? Moron.

66 people, stacked 6 high?

Someone said earlier 33 was the limit.

Take into account the average, everyday fatass and it's more like 20.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People must think that busses have some way of defying physics. A bus cannot hold 70ppl. No way in hell, there is not enough room and the motor/chassis would probably fail. You average school bus is rated for 30+/- high schoolers, and trust me, you don't want anymore people them that for a 7 hour+ trip.

Don't tell that to the 100 people that arrived in Houston on (here it comes)  1 stolen school bus!  Christ if they knew it could only hold 30 they'd of never made it!  Study up on common sense 101 this year kid!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.. here is some deep thinking..

You have the evacuees... drive the bus...

Now, dont' tell me that the evacuees need to stay behind, and be victims.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Stop feeding an obvious troll people.  He's all over the board makeing assaine comments.  Just quit.  You're not making an argument to someone interested in hearing it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See above post!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This needs to be repeated.

Quoted:
These are regular-sized buses we're talking about here, Schmeghead, not the short ones you're familiar with.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Stop feeding an obvious troll people.  He's all over the board makeing assaine comments.  Just quit.  You're not making an argument to someone interested in hearing it.

:K
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top