Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 7:34:39 PM EDT
Listening to the NO scanner the other night and the NG was sending a truck with ammo somewhere and FAST teams.

All I could come up with is 'Fire and Suppression Team' or 'Forward Anti Sniper Team'. Neither one really work. It's an acronisim I have never heard.

Anybody know?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
they're navy / marine guard type teams.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Fleet Anti-Terrorist SecurityTeam

eta
There could be other teams w/ similar acronym but in reality all I've ever heard of using 'FAST' has been the Marine Corps
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The Marines have landed in NOLA(nuff said)

Marine Corps Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team

The USMC's Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Teams (FAST), provide the both US Navy and Marine Corps with a dedicated force protection and anti-terrorist unit.

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Fox News said Marines from Lejeune were being deployed to N.O. , so I suppose it's possible that a F.A.S.T. unit was part of the package.  I really wish the rules of engagement were "Looters, dead on sight".

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Coolio! They were deployed Thursday night in NO.  Hope they got some!

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
FST pronounced FAST is the acronym for Forward Surgical Team (FST) - could be what they are referring to
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Today on Fox I seen a few soldiers who where definetly Army Special Forces from the dual scrolls and arrowhead, dagger and 3 lightning bolt patch on their sleave and were very armed for bear. Looks like their bringing in the heavy hitters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't know what NG/military term means, but for firefighters it's "Firefighters Assistance and Search Team".

Basically, if there's an emergency situation that calls for firefighters to respond, the FAST team remains
at a safe distance from the area where the actual operations are being carried out.

The FAST teams job is to go in and rescue any firefighters that are trapped or have fallen victim themselves to a HazMat situation.

The FAST team can be deployed for a simple building fire to a full blown WMD event or chemical spill.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
F> forward

A> area

S> strike

T>team

just thinking outloud.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The USMC's Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Teams (FAST), provide the both US Navy and Marine Corps with a dedicated force protection and anti-terrorist unit.

The Bald Monk
wayofthebaldmonk.net/avatar/master.jpg

Linky no speakie?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like somebody is gonna get spanked!!!............if they dont brush their teeth ya know!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The Bald Monk
wayofthebaldmonk.net/avatar/master.jpg

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

</a>

Linky no speakie?

Correct Link

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Bald Monk
wayofthebaldmonk.net/avatar/master.jpg</a>

Yep.

www.specwarnet.com/americas/fast.htm
fixed
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Too bad the Stryker Brigade Combat Team hasnt been deployed (isnt it still at Polk?).  Let the looters shoot at a bigass armored vehicle with a remote-controled .50cal.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#16]
If the forces are Guard forces, "fast" is a surgical team.  If they are USMC forces, it is a security force.  USMC uses USN medical personnel.  Based on what I saw Thursday/Friday in the way of PTDO/Deployment orders we are probably talking about surgical teams.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#17]
FAST is for force protection and AT duty, unless there is something to guard in NOLA (Like the HQ for the Marine Reserves and the Thrift Saving Plan both located in the NSA) I wouldn't think there was any need for USMC FAST units.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
FAST is for force protection and AT duty, unless there is something to guard in NOLA (Like the HQ for the Marine Reserves and the Thrift Saving Plan both located in the NSA) I wouldn't think there was any need for USMC FAST units.  

Agreed.  When I left work on Friday, the preponderance of USMC units being deployed or being ready were aviation (rotary) and AAV with a couple cats and dogs like PAO support.  A few FSTs deployed and lots more warming up to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top