Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 7:03:45 PM EDT
Is it better to drive around town with overdrive off or just leave it on? Does it use more gas shifting up and down the extra gear between lights?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it better to drive around town with overdrive off or just leave it on? Does it use more gas shifting up and down the extra gear between lights?

Everything in my manual says to always drive my Tundra with O/D on, in fact, it doesn't mention anywhere a situation to turn it off.  Which makes me wonder, why do I have a switch to turn off something I am never supposed to turn off?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything in my manual says to always drive my Tundra with O/D on, in fact, it doesn't mention anywhere a situation to turn it off.  Which makes me wonder, why do I have a switch to turn off something I am never supposed to turn off?

Trailers.  When pulling a heavy load, that wonderful little overdrive will cook.  Ain't automatic transmissions great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
On or off???

You say it like you are just pushing a button

Oh yeah... "automatic transmission"
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
turning it off will help with engine braking going downhill, that's about it
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The manual to my econocar says to only turn it on when driving over 45mph, otherwise leave it off.

Dunno if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
120,000 miles with it on in every condition and she is still going strong! 1997 Tahoe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the Over Drive in my pickup all the time except when pulling a trailer
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#8]
On my minivan its off during town driving. Less hunting and shifting. It is less wear and tear. I really only practice this because its a Domestic and I dont trust the transmission to last that long.

My Pathfinder I usually leave it in OD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
My tranny guys says to leave it off around town.   Reason was it puts extra wear on the tranny parts going in and out of o/d while around town.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
On or off???

You say it like you are just pushing a button

Oh yeah... "automatic transmission"

He likely is pushing a button, my truck has a button to turn overdrive on and off many do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
My car runs at higher rpms when OD is turned off, why is this?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
o/d off in town
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
o/d off in town

you're just wasting gas
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]
its because its not using the overdrive gear...silly
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigB, overdrive gear ratios allow your engine to make fewer turns relative to each turn of the drivewheel. So if you turn if off, then your engine has to spin at higher RPM's at the same road speed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigB, overdrive gear ratios allow your engine to make fewer turns relative to each turn of the drivewheel. So if you turn if off, then your engine has to spin at higher RPM's at the same road speed.

Overdrive off means the max gear is 1:1

Overdrive on means the max gear is <1:1 (the taller gear is selected)

Think of it [overdrive=off] as downshifting.  You get higher RPMs but you are in a better RPM region for getting torque output.

eta: clarification
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Overdrive off means the max gear is 1:1

Overdrive on means the max gear is <1:1 (the taller gear is selected)

Think of it as downshifting.  You get higher RPMs but you are in a better RPM region for getting torque output.

haha I didnt know that. I just thought it ment if you jam the gas down it will go into overdrive and youll accelerate faster.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
haha I didnt know that. I just thought it ment if you jam the gas down it will go into overdrive and youll accelerate faster.

No silly thats warp drive
hey don't feel bad everyone cannot know everything ........
oh ok I have to ask are you a adult male?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
o/d off in town

you're just wasting gas

On my pick up I leave the o/d alone unless I am towing my trailer.  However the transmission in my last truck had a 180,000 miles on it and didn't shift like new so I would generally only put it in drive unless I was on the high way.  Yes it used more fuel, but having the transmission shift more than necessary causes heat build up and the worst thing for an automatic transmission is heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top