Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 7:03:22 PM EDT
After six months of unemployment and not collecting unemployment benefits because I resigned, I signed a commitment letter to accept a position, if and when offered, with a FEMA contractor.  It's a lucrative assignment that involves work as a liaison between FEMA and local government officials, somewhere in the Katrina disaster area.  The recruiter moved me up on the list because I have experience as a local government office holder.  The commitment I made means I must mobilize within 24 hours of being called.  That's the good news.

The bad news is my Indiana License to Carry Handgun expires tomorrow.  I cannot believe I lost track of the expiration date.  The license has been hiding in my wallet for four years and I basically forgot about it.

I think I will be safe in Alabama or Mississippi, but there is no F**KING way I am going to Louisiana without my pistol.  What's cool is I believe both LA and AL honor IN permits.  MS doesn't.

I will be at the county sheriff's office first thing Tuesday morning to get a renewal started, but it is highly conceivable that I will be on the ground in the disaster area long after the renewal gets mailed to my home.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd carry anyway.   I doubt any decent cop would bust you given the circumstances
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I am from Indiana.  Go to the SO at 0800 monday.  It will only take 2 weeks or less so stop f'ing around.  Good luck in the South.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No way I would go unarmed
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
just take a rifle
Im only halfway kidding
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
That's strange?

I let mine lapse for like 6 months and walked out with a renewed card 30 min. later.

Unfortunately, I think each state is not as efficient...but maybe?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Open carry? Or wear FEMA credentials openly and if anyone asks if you're allowed to carry, look at them like they are an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Under the circumstances, I have to belive that you're good to go, considering. When your new one comes in, I'm SURE you can figure out a way to get your paws on it. Don't sweat it, bud.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Commissioner,
Saw a pic in yesterdays paper of a fireman carrying a SKS, I'm sure an armed FEMA official will fit right in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
From looking at packing.org, Louisiana has no state law against open carry and allows car carry without a permit.  Open carry is not common and could attract LEO attention.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Open carry is legal here. Carrying in your car is also legal here. You may be hassled a bit if a cop sees you open carrying (during normal times.) Considering the circumstances, they'd probably hassle you for not carrying a weapon. I would suggest getting your permit, and continuing concealed carry. But, as I said, open carry is legal here and requires no permit. It just isn't done very often, and some raise questions about it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:41:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Take a RIFLE!    Carry anyway, get the paperwork moving and get it mailed to you as soon as it comes back.  Godspeed.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Take a RIFLE!    Carry anyway, get the paperwork moving and get it mailed to you as soon as it comes back.  Godspeed.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/ViperEH/Commish.jpg

Crap! I am in that pic!

You're not the only one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Open carry? Or wear FEMA credentials openly and if anyone asks if you're allowed to carry, look at them like they are an idiot.

Pack now, worry later.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Cops are not going to be arresting FEMA officials.

Keep it concealed.  Don't tell anyone that you have it.  If you get in a situation where you do need it, nobody will be asking afterwards whether you were supposed to have it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Simply carry a copy of the renewal paperwork with you.  Indiana being the strage state that it is, I drove for 5 years on an expired DL while in the military, with a letter from the DMV stating that the licence was to be considered valid until such time as my military service allowed me to return to IN to properly renew the licence.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1

Roy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, is there a problem with open carry?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Is there any way you can get someone to take the renewal application today?

From the Indiana code:

IC 35-47-2-6 Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals

Sec. 6. Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected
within sixty (60) days after the application is filed. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically
extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
[As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

From the Indiana code:

Sec. 6. Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected
within sixty (60) days after the application is filed. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically

Thats what I thought, as long as you have your renewal paperwork it is still valid untill you get your new one. The LEO down there may not know that but having the paperwork showing honest intent to renew would get you by IMO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeh, have something showing that you renewed...even if its temp the LA folks are cool about that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#26]
In GA you can buy a Temp License for $1 while you are renewing that will be valid for a period of time after you current license expires and you recieve your new license in the mail ....  This temp license is on available for renewals only ...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#27]

If it's like TN, while your permit is being processed you can use your renewal application as your permit until it arrives.

Then, just have it mailed to you (or forwarded) at your PO box or whatever while you're away working.

Congrats on the job and be safe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That's exactly what I was told to do by an EMS crew that just got back from the swamp box.  I'm trying to get down there in just about any way I can, preferably EMS or SAR.  They told me that the stuff you see on the news about it getting safer is horseshit.  There are still people hiding that will shoot you without blinking an eye.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

From the Indiana code:

Wow.  Excellent research, Riotgun!  Thanks for doing the legwork.  I should have done that myself.  I think you solved the problem.  I'll still start the renewal this week, but if the phone rings the pistol is going with me.  I'll take the appropriate paperwork with me too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I am a bit more 'sublte' than you over on the right side though...  I don't have a rifle or anything.

Good Luck on your adventure!  Looking forward to another shoot, unless we trashed it too much.

Range looks fine.  You'd never know we ever held a shoot!

We (M4Madness and me) were thinking of holding another one this fall but I didn't think I could commit because of my (un)employment situation.  It appears that premonition was accurate because I could be gone at any time and not return for at least 30 days.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#32]
If you work for FEMA, you are a federal employee, and all federal employees no matter the posistion can carry firearms. . .

Also, if you have a friend who is an LEO, get them to write a letter on your behalf, and the renewal process is usually very fast.  I had to do this, because I missed my renewal date just like you did.

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Does IN have anything in the law where a sheriff may issue a temporay emergency permit ?  This way you could have a document with you that hasn't expired, while awating the renewal.  Who knows, being inquisitive might help you ordinary renewal paperwork move through a little faster too.

An expired permit, plus printout of the law that auto-extends, AND the temp would surely be easier to explain to an out-of-state authority than just the first two.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If you work for FEMA, you are a federal employee, and all federal employees no matter the posistion can carry firearms. . .

Also, if you have a friend who is an LEO, get them to write a letter on your behalf, and the renewal process is usually very fast.  I had to do this, because I missed my renewal date just like you did.

M4-CQBR

I won't be working for FEMA directly.  My employer is a contractor working for FEMA.

I will get the letter you suggest.  The sheriff here and I served together in office and we are friends.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
After six months of unemployment and not collecting unemployment benefits because I resigned, I signed a commitment letter to accept a position, if and when offered, with a FEMA contractor.  It's a lucrative assignment that involves work as a liaison between FEMA and local government officials, somewhere in the Katrina disaster area.  The recruiter moved me up on the list because I have experience as a local government office holder.  The commitment I made means I must mobilize within 24 hours of being called.  That's the good news.

The bad news is my Indiana License to Carry Handgun expires tomorrow.  I cannot believe I lost track of the expiration date.  The license has been hiding in my wallet for four years and I basically forgot about it.

I think I will be safe in Alabama or Mississippi, but there is no F**KING way I am going to Louisiana without my pistol.  What's cool is I believe both LA and AL honor IN permits.  MS doesn't.

I will be at the county sheriff's office first thing Tuesday morning to get a renewal started, but it is highly conceivable that I will be on the ground in the disaster area long after the renewal gets mailed to my home.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks guys.

Pssst...

Isn't your job suppose to be a liaison between goverment offices....

Use your knowledge to get an emergency gun permit from your local office.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#36]
TheCommissioner sent you an IM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top