Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 6:46:31 PM EDT
news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article310186.ece

New Orleans will have to be abandoned for at least nine months, and many of its people will remain homeless for up to two years, the US government believes.

The bleak assessment will deepen the biggest crisis faced by President George Bush, who last week called the devastation of Hurricane Katrina a " temporary disruption".

As the relief effort finally got under way yesterday for the tens of thousands of people left without food, water, medicines or the rule of law for five days, the federal official in charge of disaster recovery told foreign diplomats that reconstruction cannot begin until next summer.

The President is now facing a political hurricane of his own, with gathering criticism, even from inside his own party, for failing to heed warnings of the city's vulnerability, cutting spending on its defences to pay for the wars on terror and in Iraq, and responding sluggishly to the worst natural catastrophe ever to hit his country.

Ray Nagin, the Mayor of New Orleans, said that every day of delay has caused hundreds of deaths. Louisiana's junior Senator, Republican David Vitter, gave the Bush administration "an F grade" for its handling of the crisis. Senator Chuck Hagel, a leading contender for his party's nomination to succeed Mr Bush, said, "There must be some accountability."

The criticism is all the sharper because the President did nothing to alter his holiday schedule for 48 hours. Vice-President Dick Cheney remains on holiday in Wyoming. Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State, returned to Washington after being seen shopping for $7,000 shoes in Manhattan as New Orleans went under.

Dan Craig, the director of recovery at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told the diplomats that it could take up to six months to drain the flood waters out of New Orleans, and another three to allow the city to dry out. Even then, he added, debris and other hazardous material would need to be cleared away before rebuilding could begin. Evacuees could have to be housed by the government for two years.

Officials said that the job of recovering, let alone counting, the dead may not start for weeks. The death toll is likely to far exceed the numbers killed in the 11 September attacks almost exactly four years ago. Sergeant Nicholas Stahl of the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness said that rescuers are focusing on finding an estimated 50,000 people still stranded by the flood waters and admitted "there is no system to collect and store bodies".

Even when the bodies are recovered, experts say it will be far harder to identify them than at the World Trade Center, because they are decomposing rapidly in the heat.

Although a government exercise last year predicted the course of the disaster, Mr Bush drastically cut back spending on city defences. Work on strengthening vital levees needed to keep out flood water stopped for the first time in 37 years.

New Orleans will have to be abandoned for at least nine months, and many of its people will remain homeless for up to two years, the US government believes.

The bleak assessment will deepen the biggest crisis faced by President George Bush, who last week called the devastation of Hurricane Katrina a " temporary disruption".

As the relief effort finally got under way yesterday for the tens of thousands of people left without food, water, medicines or the rule of law for five days, the federal official in charge of disaster recovery told foreign diplomats that reconstruction cannot begin until next summer.

The President is now facing a political hurricane of his own, with gathering criticism, even from inside his own party, for failing to heed warnings of the city's vulnerability, cutting spending on its defences to pay for the wars on terror and in Iraq, and responding sluggishly to the worst natural catastrophe ever to hit his country.

Ray Nagin, the Mayor of New Orleans, said that every day of delay has caused hundreds of deaths. Louisiana's junior Senator, Republican David Vitter, gave the Bush administration "an F grade" for its handling of the crisis. Senator Chuck Hagel, a leading contender for his party's nomination to succeed Mr Bush, said, "There must be some accountability."

The criticism is all the sharper because the President did nothing to alter his holiday schedule for 48 hours. Vice-President Dick Cheney remains on holiday in Wyoming. Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State, returned to Washington after being seen shopping for $7,000 shoes in Manhattan as New Orleans went under.

Dan Craig, the director of recovery at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told the diplomats that it could take up to six months to drain the flood waters out of New Orleans, and another three to allow the city to dry out. Even then, he added, debris and other hazardous material would need to be cleared away before rebuilding could begin. Evacuees could have to be housed by the government for two years.

Officials said that the job of recovering, let alone counting, the dead may not start for weeks. The death toll is likely to far exceed the numbers killed in the 11 September attacks almost exactly four years ago. Sergeant Nicholas Stahl of the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness said that rescuers are focusing on finding an estimated 50,000 people still stranded by the flood waters and admitted "there is no system to collect and store bodies".

Even when the bodies are recovered, experts say it will be far harder to identify them than at the World Trade Center, because they are decomposing rapidly in the heat.

Although a government exercise last year predicted the course of the disaster, Mr Bush drastically cut back spending on city defences. Work on strengthening vital levees needed to keep out flood water stopped for the first time in 37 years.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. A Bush hit piece by the Independent.

I'm Shocked!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Grand Reopening for Mardi Gras '06

You read it here first.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
So am I to assume that it is now the President's fault every time he does not micromanage every single incident?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Does this surpise ANYONE?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It's funny how they built levees for a class 3 hurricane but get hit BY A CLASS FIVE.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So am I to assume that it is now the President's fault every time he does not micromanage every single incident?

He should be standing on the 17th street
levee bailing water by hand.

He obviously hates blacks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
For the love of God the city sat below sea level!!! Why is this a surprise? I'm sure it was a fun place to visit but this disaster was just a matter of time. Yeah, response time could have been faster, in a perfect world. But in that world I'd still have all my hair and never aged a day past 24. You live in a flood zone you shouldn't be surprised when a flood comes.  The people in the tornado belt know what can happen, just like those in California expect the earthquakes.

Bush could have been sitting on a levee during the hurricane, bailing out the city with a bucket and still been criticized.

(Did Rice really buy $7000 shoes?)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If she's got the money for $7000 dollar shoes, then what woman could resist?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody better keep an eye out for Gators,they will be comming soon !

Bob
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wow. A Bush hit piece by the Independent.

I'm Shocked!

Yeah, no shit. If you take a look at aljazeera.net right now, you'll find some similar pieces (really, no fooling).
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If she's got the money for $7000 dollar shoes, then what woman could resist?

These lib rags have a thing for Rice's footwear...remember last year when they blew a load (I think the Washington Post) about her "power boots"?...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry, but the female shoe thing bugs the living shit out of me. More than one of my ex girlfriends couldn't see whey I owned multiple 1911s, ARs and m1s but it made perfect sense for them to own 50+ pairs of shoes. (most of which were ridiculously impractical, I might add) I $7000 pair of shoes better have been made from the Declaration of Independence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top