Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Taggity.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag. That's greater than 1%.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
One cop who stayed behind to look after the refugees was quite upset about his comrades skipping town  in face of the disaster.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll be interesting as to what happens with the government of NO after all this is over...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It'll be interesting as to what happens with the government of NO after all this is over...

For all intents and purposes, there is no New Orleans.  The government will be a "government in exile", like the French Government in exile during WWII, headquartered in London.  There will be a lot of symbolic speeches, like De Gaulle's during that time.  As happenned in 1944-45, others will step in and do the real work, then, like De Gaulle rode in Paris after WE liberated it, the mayor will ride in and get all the credit for the work others did.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did their balls go?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For all intents and purposes, there is no New Orleans.  The government will be a "government in exile", like the French Government in exile during WWII, headquartered in London.  There will be a lot of symbolic speeches, like De Gaulle's during that time.  As happenned in 1944-45, others will step in and do the real work, then, like De Gaulle rode in Paris after WE liberated it, the mayor will ride in and get all the credit for the work others did.

Yup, and then he will be elevated to a US Senator.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesse probly has him on the fast track now..
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]

I wonder if other cities police departments will hire these guys after knowing they cut and ran?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
And the ones that stayed went shopping at that Walmart.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it is quite predictable. The police like their job, but when they are outnumbered and outgunned, they like it much less. When they start taking fire from the people they're trying to rescue, that's just about their limit.

Not where I'm from.

Has that been tested, where you're from?

lol that is no shit, some just have no idea
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
A couple of quick points. Even if 200 left, that means 1300 stayed. Those that stayed deserve a tremendous amount of respect.

However, we see images of medical workers, Coasties, National Guard, and firefighters that are still fighting the good fight and live in that area. The question is how many of them have bailed?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it is quite predictable. The police like their job, but when they are outnumbered and outgunned, they like it much less. When they start taking fire from the people they're trying to rescue, that's just about their limit.

Not where I'm from.

Has that been tested, where you're from?

We have come close.  Floods hit about every 3 or 4 years and are often quite devestating.  Yes we have come under fire in the past while we have been worn thin.  I have yet to see anyone run out when things were tough.  Most here consider it more than just a job.

Would not happen in my department. We have been tested but not to that extent. Who has? I'd hate to have to find out, that's for sure.

I'd say that that reflects on the quality of the officers at the department. Affirmative action, poor retention, inability to recruit the best prospects and the old (and generally exaggerated and historic) corruption NOPD was ripe for this to happen...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I cant blame them.

Its a bitch of a job, especially at the moment, they too have probably lost much property and maybe even family, some of the people they are trying to help arent too grateful. I would probably much rather be wherever the rest of my family got to than to be in that situation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
If thsi is true it speaks volumes of the socoety the Democrats have in store for us.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]
They have no Guiliani.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It is easy to drive in for a few weeks like my brother is into MS, do what you can and go home.

It is very different when you have lost everything you own, and may not have anything more than the uniform you are wearing, and you are unable to rebuild your life because you are so busy rebuilding others who want nothing more than to spit on you or shoot at you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#23]
As an LEO I'm hoping that the two that commited suicide were two of the women "officers" caught shoplifting at WalMart. Too disgusting.

BTW: Anybody under fire is going to be apprehensive and scared. No lights, no back-up, little food and no water. I wonder how many of you "gun-range adventurers" would fare as well under these circumstances. You don't know what you'll do until your in the middle of it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#24]
The whole situation is a disgrace.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#25]
That is the attitude in NO.  They just don't care.

The mayor AND the governor are both guilty of dereliction of duty for not communicating to the LANG on the desperation of the situation.

Too much time elapsed between the failing of the power system and the call for assistance.  The mayor might escape some blame but the governor's unwillingness to call for NG assistance shows this is a case of frugality.  If she called the NG, the cost would be borne by the state coffers.  If she waited and had federalized troops, the US Treasury would foot the bill.  Governor Blanco was being cheap.  Typical democrat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Everyone knows there are good cops and bad cops out there in cities where there is mass corruption and poverty. Who's to say that the 200 or so that quit were bad cops and didn't want to stick around when the names start to drop.

Just sumpin ta think bout.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
As an LEO I'm hoping that the two that commited suicide were two of the women "officers" caught shoplifting at WalMart. Too disgusting.

Yep, I hope so!

BTW: Anybody under fire is going to be apprehensive and scared. No lights, no back-up, little food and no water. I wonder how many of you "gun-range adventurers" would fare as well under these circumstances. You don't know what you'll do until your in the middle of it.
I've been in that situation before, but I was young and I didn't know any better. We had generators and a well at our house so it was converted into a makeshift command post after a hurricane. Some communist rebels went through town looking for supplies. The "neighborhood militia" along with a couple of cops and military guys went off and shot them up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That is the attitude in NO.  They just don't care.

The mayor AND the governor are both guilty of dereliction of duty for not communicating to the LANG on the desperation of the situation.

Too much time elapsed between the failing of the power system and the call for assistance.  The mayor might escape some blame but the governor's unwillingness to call for NG assistance shows this is a case of frugality.  If she called the NG, the cost would be borne by the state coffers.  If she waited and had federalized troops, President Bush would get the blame for the delay in sending the troops in and the US Treasury would foot the bill.  Governor Blanco was being cheap and trying to cover her ass.  Typical democrat.

There, I fixed it for you!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any cops still there are only protecting the few remaining pieces of human trash that remain in the area formerly known as new Orleans. The good people of NOLA have already moved out of the area.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
[ I've been in that situation before...

Really?  You worked 60 hours straight not knowing if your family was dead or alive but sure your home was destroyed and your employer no longer existed? Becuase thats what the NOLA cops were doing a couple days ago.

If my house is destroted, i havent slept for days, I dont know what happened to my family, my employer doesnt know if they will ever be able to pay me, and I have no mission why go to work?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For all intents and purposes, there is no New Orleans.  The government will be a "government in exile", like the French Government in exile during WWII, headquartered in London Palistinian Authority.  There will be a lot of symbolic speeches, like De Gaulle's Arafat's during that time.  As happenned in 1944-45, others will step in and do the real work, then, like De Gaulle rode in Paris after WE liberated it, the mayor and Jesse Jackson will ride in and get all the credit for the work others did.

There will also be lots of rediculous demands and terrorist like actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top