Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 5:02:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I had two of 'em making passes at me (And a whole lot of other tankers) "Super-Sonic" (I "Think") during a huge "Gallant Eagle" exercise back in the early '80's.

I'm not sure the AF has any ordnance that's meant to be delivered against armor while the platform is moving at super-sonic speed but it WAS cool to watch those Falcons race in on us (We could see their approach for 5-6 miles) silently until they shot past overhead.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever see an F-16 supersonic ?

Did it look like this one from the MCAS Miramar Air Show.

I used to see a lot of this stuff at the Pease AFB Airshows.....but they are history now.

Miramar
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive never seen them boom but they fly right by my apartment quite a bit(SiouxFalls, SD) on training runs or something.  I love those things
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
You dare speak of such a cool adventure without having pics?  If you were here I'd draw down on you!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ive never seen them boom but they fly right by my apartment quite a bit(SiouxFalls, SD) on training runs or something.  I love those things

CRAP!!!

ANOTHER ONE!

We are probably within a mile of each other!   Every day at 2pm they jump out 2, sometimes 3 on Wed..

I think we need to find the Hometown forum and arrange a shoot.

Ya I think I remember you saying that you are from SF.  I have a XD40/9mm conversion and a 870 haha had to sell my AR  If you have any lowers brass I wanty
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to tell you this, but they were not going supersonic.  There are only a few areas in the country where aircraft are allowed to go supersonic and all of these areas are in remote parts of the country.  What you was seeing was just high sub-sonic speeds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Air Shows are awsome. I went to one not to long ago where the blue angels were flying. First day we were at the air port, secound day we watched them from the USS North Carolina. If any team members want to see the pics I have them here. archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=344916 My camera was set at some crazy resolution so they are too big to hot link.

ETA: Here is a small clipping from one of the huge pics,

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
On my fishing trip out in the Gulf of Mexico a few weeks ago (we were 40 miles out from Pamana City), we got to see F-15's chase each other.  One came out of a cloud bank in a really tight turn and started shooting flares out, about 4 or 5.  

Really cool to watch.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont know if you are talking to me or not but they just do flybys over me no high speed stuff.  Love to hear them they just crack as they pass
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]
F-15's at Robins AFB  usually break the sound barrier at least 2 to 4 times daily over the town.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I hate to tell you this, but they were not going supersonic.  There are only a few areas in the country where aircraft are allowed to go supersonic and all of these areas are in remote parts of the country.  What you was seeing was just high sub-sonic speeds.

i disagree with the remote parts of the country bit. here in southern okalahoma we have sonic booms weekly fomr the airforce base jets in north texas.  some would say that north texas nas southern oklahoma are "remote" but i live in a city of 40000. so its not that remote
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Heres a T-bird high speed pass from last Saturday. I took it with my digi cam. Turn up your volume to get the best effect.Enjoy

media.putfile.com/P8270079
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Accidents happen, its a fine line to tread when doing near Mach speeds, a couple times at air shows, I've been treated to sonic booms.

When I was a kid, in Ohio, back in the 60s, there were sonic booms all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I used to see a lot of this stuff at the Pease AFB Airshows.....but they are history now.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/scott1959/F16DSCF2315e.jpg

Miramar

I dont think that is a mach + pic.  More like a hard turn and vapor condensing in the low pressure of the upper wing surface.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Heres a T-bird high speed pass from last Saturday. I took it with my digi cam. Turn up your volume to get the best effect.Enjoy

media.putfile.com/P8270079

Cooooooooooooooool
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Miramar

I dont think that is a mach + pic.  More like a hard turn and vapor condensing in the low pressure of the upper wing surface.

Actually, the caption read: "F-16 Fighting Falcon, afterburner going, turning hard getting close to supersonic."

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, heres the F-15.

media.putfile.com/P8270061

media.putfile.com/P8270062

Again crrank up the volume !!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yep, thats what it looked like.  About the same perspective as well.  We were very close.

It's at these times I'm jealous that you have a boat ... I'll probably try to catch some of the show from the muni lot tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen one supersonic. Well, from the inside at least.

pulled 9.2g's in one also.  have the tape to prove it, at least I think I still have it around somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Again crrank up the volume !!!

Thanks jstang! Our stuff is so good even countries that hate us have to buy 'em.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Both of the above was taken by me down at the end of the runway...the second picture is "my" jet. I have more pictures that are in 3008 x 2000...huge. If anyone wants any just send me a message.

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Images/Miscellaneous/20059412213_6266.jpg

The root of the vertical stabilizer is thick. What's in there? Extra electronics? Jammers? Radios Braking chute?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Nothing. They were origionally ment to house ECM equipment (electronic countermeasure equipment) but the AF went another route. It's "hollow" up to where the vertical stab meets the jets frame (make sense??) Nothing but hydraulic lines and a few other things that help the jet fly.

-Derek

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/_Images/Member%20Images/Miscellaneous/20059412213_6266.jpg

The root of the vertical stabilizer is thick. What's in there? Extra electronics? Jammers? Radios Braking chute?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Miramar

+1
I've seen them do this, seem like maybe 100+mph. At an air show I went to a F16 was doing this in a VERY small loop in front of us.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#31]
vapor shows up very easily with manuvres that have major pressure differences over parts of the plane.. usually the high G turn is at 350knts(~400mph)..nowhere near supersonic.

then there are the shock cones which many precieve as the soundbarrier being broken. that is not the sound barrier being broken.  What you are seeing is transsonic speed air causing vapor.  It is close to super sonic...but what is really happeing is the plane is going subsonic, but the airflow around it is going supersonic.

then there is the sound barrier.. which consists of 2 loud THUMPS.  

thanks for the pics and vids.. awesome!

anyone want to see a good airshow.. edwards AFB cali.. mid october.. ]www.edwards.af.mil
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
vapor shows up very easily with manuvres that have major pressure differences over parts of the plane.. usually the high G turn is at 350knts(~400mph)..nowhere near supersonic.

then there are the shock cones which many precieve as the soundbarrier being broken. that is not the sound barrier being broken.  What you are seeing is transsonic speed air causing vapor.  It is close to super sonic...but what is really happeing is the plane is going subsonic, but the airflow around it is going supersonic.

then there is the sound barrier.. which consists of 2 loud THUMPS.  

thanks for the pics and vids.. awesome!

anyone want to see a good airshow.. edwards AFB cali.. mid october.. ]www.edwards.af.mil

Good info.  

+1 on the Edwards airshow being a good one.  I went to all of them that we had while I was stationed there.

www.edwards.af.mil/openhouse/
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mid-rear area is mostly Hydraulics stuff, A/B system Accumulators and the rudder ISA. It's been a few years but I think the speed brake manifold/Control valve is also in there too. Forward has some antenna stuff. The area was made thicker on the C/D's  than the A model though for future expansion space for electronics.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I have seen the video that this photo came from and it is advertised as capturing the image of an F18 going super-sonic. more info here

It is an at-sea fly-by

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#35]
It may be a temporary hijack but you guys have see the video of this 747!

click on link and select the 5th video down-   Boeing 747 Nearly Crash Landing

Un- f**ing believable!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top