Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2005 2:21:34 PM EDT
I go to do the paperwork this tuesday. Any advice on how to better prepare myself for the ass kicking I'm going to be geting in RT?

Matt
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
if you cant do 20 pull-ups, start working on that for starters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Do everything they say as fast as you can, don't talk back, help your fellow recruits who need help.

Never give up.

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Good advise for any service's basic:  Keep your ears open and your mouth closed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Start running if you don't now. Stay out of trouble, no drinking (presuming you are under twenty one) no drugs.

The Corps will take care of every thing else so enjoy you remaining time as a civilian.

Don't worry MCRD is not that tough.

What MOS are you interested in?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Be able to run, do pushups, "crunches and don't show up with an attitude.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Google:

Official Marine Corp Guide Book of Essential Subjects or Marine Essential Subjects and buy the book now and study it from front to rear would be a good start.

Go HERE and read around the links on the site.

And you better had write your Momma in boot camp!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Get used to waking up really with a loud alarm. Go down to the beach and slog through the water while carrying weights.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
SIR RECUIT DONTKNOW BUT RECRUIT WILL FIND OUT SIR
SIR YES SIR,,,SIR NO SIR
3rd BN INDIA COMPANY PARRIS ISLAND

When I first got here
I thought I'd die
After 3 weeks here
I hoped I'd die
After 8 weeks here
I knew I wouldn't die
For I had become
Too tough to die
I'd become a MARINE

sighn at 3rd Bn I Co  P.I.  S.C.
"83
The Corps have BOOTS
The rest have recruits

SEMPER FIDELIS
[learn this memorize this understand it as it is an absolute truth]

feel free to IM/email me

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I go to do the paperwork this tuesday. Any advice on how to better prepare myself for the ass kicking I'm going to be geting in RT?

Matt

First thing you can do is study harder so you can get into the Army

Start doing lots of pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups.  When you think you are good enough...... DO MORE!!!!

ETA:  Good luck your are going to love it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Boot camp is 80% mental, 20 % physical.  Make sure your attitude is in check.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Always stand in the middle of formation. Never on the outside.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
As everyone else said......20 pull-up's, 3 mile run in under 18 minutes, and 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes (for a 300 PFT- unless things have changed in the last 15 years). Also, don't volunteer for anything and as was also mentioned earlier....keep your mouth shut and your ears open.
Congrats man, nothing like the feeling of crossing The Grinder one last time for Pass in Review.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As everyone else said......20 pull-up's, 3 mile run in under 18 minutes, and 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes (for a 300 PFT- unless things have changed in the last 15 years). Also, don't volunteer for anything and as was also mentioned earlier....keep your mouth shut and your ears open.
Congrats man, nothing like the feeling of crossing The Grinder one last time for Pass in Review.

Crunches are up to 100 now. Physical preparation will save you pain later on.

Good luck. Semper fi.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

20 pull-ups, 18 min 3 mile, 100 crunches in 2 min = 300 PFT
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Good luck. Whats your MOS going to be?

Eyes and ears open, mouth shut.

Semper Fi
USMC 1979-1983
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, so I took the ASVAB and physical this past weekend, and swore in. I leave for San Diego on October 17th. MOS is Infantry.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ok, so I took the ASVAB and physical this past weekend, and swore in. I leave for San Diego on October 17th. MOS is Infantry.

You're going to visit a lot of nice houses!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Do us proud.

Bravo 2038
MCRD San Diego

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Nothing you do or say will be correct.  

2. The DI's will mess with you by punishing the whole platoon for anything that you personally screw up.  The dumber ones in the platoon won't realize how they are being played, and will take out their frustration on you.  My advice, don't screw up. <see #1 above>

3.  Recruit training will be the longest three months of your young life.  Just keep in mind that it will in fact end.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#20]
The first day will probably be the worst day.  From the second day thru the end, keep telling yourself, "if I made it thru the first day, I can make it thru today."

DO NOT ARGUE WITH D.I.s.  

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I volunteered in boot camp once,gave blood,got to see alot of nurses,ate cake,no pie

MCRD San Diego
76-80
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#22]
And you better had write your Momma in boot camp!

+1000

I got a call from my son in boot camp (this was some years back).

I said, "I thought you were not allowed to make calls, what's up?"

He said, "I'm off base, they sent me out to buy groceries for the 4th of July BBQ.  The Sgt said I could do everything already, so I wasn't missing anything."

"Well, Son, how are you doing?"

"OK, Dad.  I just wanted to call you to thank you.  I used to hate you for making me do all the stuff you made me do when I was a kid.  But, I'm up here with a lot of pussies that don't know anything.  I realize now you were teaching me the things I need to know.  I just wanted to thank you."

"Who the hell is this and what did you do with my real son???"

Anyway, that brought a tear to my eye... I was so proud.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Start running if you don't now. Stay out of trouble, no drinking (presuming you are under twenty one) no drugs.

The Corps will take care of every thing else so enjoy you remaining time as a civilian.

Don't worry MCRD is not that tough.

What MOS are you interested in?

Best advice right here.  If you don't have a good level of general physical preparedness for running, evrything else will suffer or at worst you will get sidelined with stress fractures or other injuries.  All else will come however.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Running. Pull-Ups. Sit-Ups.

Best preperation for boot camp that you can do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Best advice right here.  If you don't have a good level of general physical preparedness for running, evrything else will suffer or at worst you will get sidelined with stress fractures or other injuries.  All else will come however.

I would add weight training, not for bulk though.  Weight training, low weight with high reps, helps build up and toughen the bones, this will help avoid stress fractures.  When I talk to one of my former Lts at PI, he was saying over the years they were seeing more stress fractures because most recruits coming in weren't use to PT and their bones needed toughing.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't go.

Within 10 years you will be on US soil disarming US citizens. It's not worth it.

Standing armies are dangerous to liberty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

First thing you can do is study harder so you can get into the Army

Start doing lots of pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups.  When you think you are good enough...... DO MORE!!!!

ETA:  Good luck your are going to love it!

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would add weight training, not for bulk though.  Weight training, low weight with high reps, helps build up and toughen the bones, this will help avoid stress fractures.  When I talk to one of my former Lts at PI, he was saying over the years they were seeing more stress fractures because most recruits coming in weren't use to PT and their bones needed toughing.  

Another vote for ENDURANCE training.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Don't go.

Within 10 years you will be on US soil disarming US citizens. It's not worth it.

Bite me, troll.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Don't go.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
For the OP

As you can see some of the USMC guys on here are calling me a troll for paraphrasing Alexander Hamilton, one of our founding fathers and bringing to light what has happened in New Orleans.

All I am saying is that if you join you may be asked to undermine the the US Constitution, just as some of the active duty soliders and guardsmen are now in New Orleans. You will be asked and expected to follow orders to illegally search homes, seize legally possesed arms, and be quartered in private buildings without the knowledge of the building owner.

If you have no problem with this then fine go, you will get great training, get to play with cool tools and have a comradery that most will never understand. But you will be expected to blindly follow orders even if they are counter to the US Constitution. It is being done now and it will be done more in the future.

edited to add

Before you go sign up look and your mom, dad, brother, and sister then ask yourself do you want to have to go take arms away from people like this, do you want to search and seize there property without warrants?

You will more than likely be ordered to do this one day, and you will be doing this to people just like your family. They will not be insurgents nor rebels they will be US citizens.

Go read the gun confiscation threads about New Orleans, read the NY times article on it, and listen to the ABC report about it. It proves all of the accusations I just made.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
For the OP

As you can see some of the USMC guys on here are calling me a troll for paraphrasing Alexander Hamilton, one of our founding fathers and bringing to light what has happened in New Orleans.

All I am saying is that if you join you may be asked to undermine the the US Constitution, just as some of the active duty soliders and guardsmen are now in New Orleans. You will be asked and expected to follow orders to illegally search homes, seize legally possesed arms, and be quartered in private buildings without the knowledge of the building owner.

If you have no problem with this then fine go, you will get great training, get to play with cool tools and have a comradery that most will never understand. But you will be expected to blindly follow orders even if they are counter to the US Constitution. It is being done now and it will be done more in the future.

edited to add

Before you go sign up look and your mom, dad, brother, and sister then ask yourself do you want to have to go take arms away from people like this, do you want to search and seize there property without warrants?

You will more than likely be ordered to do this one day, and you will be doing this to people just like your family. They will not be insurgents nor rebels they will be US citizens.

Go read the gun confiscation threads about New Orleans, read the NY times article on it, and listen to the ABC report about it. It proves all of the accusations I just made.

Please move to Canada or something.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For the OP

edited to add

Please move to Canada or something.

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#35]
As a future "O", I can guarantee you that shit will not be happening under my command, and to insinuate that Marines (or any of our servicemen) would go JBT is an insult to their character.

Go piss in someone else's cornflakes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Run (not jog) half a mile, pause to do as many sit-ups as you can, run another half-mile, pause to do as many push-ups as you can, run a half-mile, pause to do as many pull-ups as you can.  Repeat until your lungs explode, then take a 5 minute rest and do it again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Start running now.  Not fast, just a slow trot.  

Listen, learn, and it will be hell the first few weeks.  You will survive.

And, how many Marines are in NOLA, brainiacs????
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

USMC in New Orleans

They may not be doing the LEO duties now, but they are out driving the APC's and Choppers dropping off the National Guardsmen, from out of state, who are doing the dirt.

And if you don't think they would and will do it someday than you are nuts. They are so close to doing it now that it isn't funny.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

USMC in New Orleans

They may not be doing the LEO duties now, but they are out driving the APC's and Choppers dropping off the National Guardsmen, from out of state, who are doing the dirt.

And if you don't think they would and will do it someday than you are nuts. They are so close to doing it now that it isn't funny.

Shhhhhhh
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Don't go.

If it wasn't for us Marines and the other "standing armies" we would all be speaking Japanese or German...  Go figure...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#41]
here is the MOST important thing you need to know at Parris Island:

"Zero" means freeze.

for example the DI will say "YOU GOT 10 SECONDS TO GET THOSE BOOTS ON...9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1...ZEEEROOOOO"

now, no one can put on a pair of boots while standing up in 10 seconds. you arent supposed to, thats not the point. but sure as shit some dumbass will think he's invisable and he will finish putting on the boot, or move, or twich or do something he thinks wont get noticed and then guess what.

"OH GOOD, YOU WANT TO KEEP MOVING...TAKE THOSE BOOTS OFF NOW"

"PUT THOSE BOOTS ON NOW 10....9..8..5..3..2..1"

and the same dumbass kid, or maybe a different one will try to finish the knot he's tying

"GOOD TO GO, TAKE MY BOOTS OFF NOW"

no shit, one day it took my platoon 30minutes to put their boots on. if everyone freezes like they are supposed to then they will say "GOOD, FINSIH PUTTING ON THOSE BOOTS NOW" and you go on with the day. this is whats known as "playing games"  but you'd be suprised how long it takes some idiot recruits to catch on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

for example the DI will say "YOU GOT 10 SECONDS TO GET THOSE BOOTS ON...9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1...ZEEEROOOOO"

now, no one can put on a pair of boots while standing up in 10 seconds. you arent supposed to, thats not the point. but sure as shit some dumbass will think he's invisable and he will finish putting on the boot, or move, or twich or do something he thinks wont get noticed and then guess what.

and the same dumbass kid, or maybe a different one will try to finish the knot he's tying

no shit, one day it took my platoon 30minutes to put their boots on. if everyone freezes like they are supposed to then they will say "GOOD, FINSIH PUTTING ON THOSE BOOTS NOW" and you go on with the day. this is whats known as "playing games"  but you'd be suprised how long it takes some idiot recruits to catch on.

+1

Man, us arrogant dumbass college students took forever to figure that out at OCS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USMC in New Orleans

Shhhhhhh

I tell you the truth and the knowledge of the truth shall set you free.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Matt

GET IN SHAPE! THe better shape you are in before you go, the better off you will be.

USMC is where I started 19 years ago. It was the best thing I could have done to start out my life.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

And sound off at the top of your lungs, " FREEZE RECRUITS! FREEZE!!!!!"

Added something...  Ahhh, the good ole days.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Good luck. I'm joining when I get out of college!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Exactly where in TN do you live, sir?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

"Zero" means freeze.

No, THE most important thing is when one gets picked up by their DI's is to announce to them in a very loud voice, "What's up, homes?"      
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't go.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top