Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 1:05:55 PM EDT
Is there a life span for kevlar / spectra shield vests?   Lookin at a vest from point blank, but it is not recent manufacture.    Which fiber was is that was failing in the vests?

Thanks
Cosmos
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a huge volume of info. on tacticalforums.com about premature degradation of vests containing Zylon and concerns about Spectra as well. Short version, Zylon real bad, Spectra bad, Kevlar good.
5 years is the standard warranty period for Kevlar vests and most PD's replace it on that cycle. Having said that, I've shot a few 10, 15, and 20 year old Kevlar vests that retained their rated ballistic capabilities.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
5 years is the standard warranty period for Kevlar vests and most PD's replace it on that cycle. Having said that, I've shot a few 10, 15, and 20 year old Kevlar vests that retained their rated ballistic capabilities.

Conspiracy to keep the $$$ rolling in?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be, but after 5 years of daily wear they've definitely gotten pretty funky even after rotating clean carriers regularly!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The one I am looking has not been worn more than a few times, but has a manufacture date of 95.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top