Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 1:04:18 PM EDT
I went to visit a buddy that lives in Temple, TX.  He is in the Central Zone and Dove Season opened on September 1.

We were able to hunt on Fort Hood.  It was a great time and some beautiful country.  We determined that the majority of the doves haven't moved down just yet, as they were few and far between.  Maybe when the first cool spell comes down it will push them down too.

But, I did something I had never done.  I got a Triple.

A flock of white wing doves came flying right towards me.  I shot the lead bird and dusted him.  Some flaired toward my right and I got one of them.  I turned around, and as they were flying away, I dusted the straggler.

Three shots, three doves, all in about 6 seconds.

A fine day all around.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shooting on the triple.

I'll be out monday to murder some of god's tasty creatures.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You ever wrap the breasts in bacon and grill 'em?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I went to visit a buddy that lives in Temple, TX.  He is in the Central Zone and Dove Season opened on September 1.

We were able to hunt on Fort Hood.  It was a great time and some beautiful country.  We determined that the majority of the doves haven't moved down just yet, as they were few and far between.  Maybe when the first cool spell comes down it will push them down too.

But, I did something I had never done.  I got a Triple.

A flock of white wing doves came flying right towards me.  I shot the lead bird and dusted him.  Some flaired toward my right and I got one of them.  I turned around, and as they were flying away, I dusted the straggler.

Three shots, three doves, all in about 6 seconds.

A fine day all around.

Sounds like some mighty fine shootin there OP.  Now go shove a tampon in that shotgun and cook them birds up for dinner.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had them that way the first time ever.  My Scoutmaster had met his limit a week beforehand and brought them out for us on a campout.
I prefer to coat them in olive oil and some super secret seasoning my buddy has and grill 'em.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds like some mighty fine shootin there OP.  Now go shove a tampon in that shotgun and cook them birds up for dinner.  

The Remington 1100 has already had the Tampax Treatment.

Ready for the next hunt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my favorite way to eat em.  A close second is "birds and gravy" over rice.  

Now I just need to improve my wingshooting.

Folks that haven't seen true dove shooting in Texas when they are really flying, cannot imagine how many doves you can get a shot at.  I've actually had the shotgun HOT from the shooting.

It's a great hunt.

I love it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Dove hunitng beats all other forms of hunting IMHO.  I love it!  It is best when the doves are thicker than mosquitoes in NOLA.  Diving, dodging, and cruising at 45+ mph.  Awesome.

Around our house, Sept 1st is "New Years Day"!

Just returned from the Waco, Tx area myself.  I personnally knocked a limit each day out fo the air plus a few to help my Dad make his limit.  That is marignally illegal but he needed the morale boost.

Dad can't see too well, has terrible arthritis and gout, and is deaf as a stump.  So I sat off to the side and tracked any birds he was aiming it.  When he shot, I shot.  He would start hollering about "his bird!" and I would run over and pick it up for him.  I don't think he ever knew I was shooting most of "his" birds.  I am positive he never hear my shots!  The birds dropped so he figures he hit them.  I made sure "we" missed a few so he would'nt get too cocky and brag about his shooting skills.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
good evening.

thanks, OP.

this takes me back about 40 years to when i was hunting with my dad and uncle.  the uncle would always plant an acre or two of maize next to a little stock tank he had in the river bottom.  

i confess that we sometimes shot a few over the limit, but in those days it seemed like the birds were endless.  but then i can remember when there were quail too before the fire ants ate all the eggs.

i still have the old L. C. Smith double that i hunted with then.  it was given to me by another uncle.  all these people are dead now, but this time of the year i think about them a lot.  i haven't hunted birds in a long time.  it just ain't the same anymore.

thanks for the memories.

shooting stuff IS fun.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Man I can not wait. I love shooting those lil F-15's. I think it should bea great year here in the Southeast area birds all over my feeders.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
good evening.

thanks, OP.

this takes me back about 40 years to when i was hunting with my dad and uncle.  the uncle would always plant an acre or two of maize next to a little stock tank he had in the river bottom.  

i confess that we sometimes shot a few over the limit, but in those days it seemed like the birds were endless.  but then i can remember when there were quail too before the fire ants ate all the eggs.

i still have the old L. C. Smith double that i hunted with then.  it was given to me by another uncle.  all these people are dead now, but this time of the year i think about them a lot.  i haven't hunted birds in a long time.  it just ain't the same anymore.

thanks for the memories.

shooting stuff IS fun.

peace.
billr

Well billr, you bring back memories.....

I first hunted dove with my Dad and uncles and Pappaw in Egan, Lousiana back in the 1950's.  My Pappaw had an old L. C. Smith 12 gauge double barrel that he used to good effect.  It kicked like a mule.

After the hunt, he would show me his second finger on his right hand.  It would have the skin torn from the recoil of the big gun's recoil.

I just had to have a big 12 gauge double barrel like his.

For my 12th birthday, my Dad gave me a Sears 12 gauge double barrel shotgun.  I killed an awful lot of doves and squirrels with it over the years.

One of my uncles once got his limit of 12 doves with 12 shells.  He really lorded it over the rest of us that day!

Memories of hunting filled my childhood.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw the title and thought you were wiping out hippies

But this thread is worthless without pics!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got back from dove hunting here in South Louisiana. Very nice hunt on family property. Both my brother in law and I got our limit. Sweet day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]
good evening some more.

my kids and i got to talking about dove hunting because of the earlier post.

it kind of makes me sad that they cannot ever know a world like we did then.  not only the hunting, but all of it.  we didn't know what a 'terrorist' was.  it was different to say the least.

and so, i am thanking you once again, OP, for creating an opportunity to have some real serious quality time with them.

my youngest says that we need to get together and shoot some.  anytime.  i stay ready.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

my youngest says that we need to get together and shoot some.  anytime.  i stay ready.

peace.
billr

Shucks.  We all live in Texas.

How far can it be?

Come over anytime.  We'll go burn some powder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]
well.

thank you once again, Mr. Painless.

my kids think this is a fine idea.  me too.

it isn't far.  we live near Palestine.

i will figure out when we could od that and either im or email you.

my email:  [email protected]

it will be nice to shoot with someone who is famous.  kids like the box o truth.  me too.

happy labor day.

peace.
billr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top