Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 12:01:22 PM EDT
I just heard that the Louisiana governor won't allow the feds to send in over 3,000 federal agents to assist with law enforcement in N.O.  It's been three days running now.  Anyone else heard the same?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
None yet.

Did a quick google search, didnt come up with anything.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know if it's up to the LA Gov or not? Seems the US Attorney General would mobilize DOJ resources as needed after such a disaster.

That said, I know there ARE guys who are on stadby-to standby for days now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t know about Federal LEO’s enforcing local laws, but she certainly can’t prohibit them from entering her state.

I hate to bring up a sore point, but the South lost the war!!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't know if it's up to the LA Gov or not? Seems the US Attorney General would mobilize DOJ resources as needed after such a disaster.

That said, I know there ARE guys who are on stadby-to standby for days now.

Yes, there are guys on stand-by. . . . .

Some feds have gone in, like the USMS and some FBI to protect federal property.  ICE is engaged in some immigration-related matters, but beyond that there isn't much pure federal LE stuff to do.  The majority of need is state or local LE-related.  Feds can enforce state or local laws, but not on their own.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don’t know about Federal LEO’s enforcing local laws, but she certainly can’t prohibit them from entering her state.

They can come, that's right, but only if they are enforcing federal laws.  To enforce state or local laws, they probably need an agreement with the state.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

At least one agency would have the same authority to deal with local laws that the local Sheriff has, and they may deputize other agencies as well.  As posted above though, they need an invite to do it probably.

I am sure she can't stop them, but she sure can delay it (hopefully for only so long), by not asking for that type of help.

There are several agencies there already on a limited basis providing specialits and resources. The rest who are waiting would be for more of a general mission. There have been large delpoyments (1000+) in the past for other natural disasters. This would seem like the time too, but there is also a huge mil presence this time around( or enroute).
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
That bitch needs a big cup of STFU... she's done enough already!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
And why didn't the state order martial law sooner?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Who cares?  Really?

It's a mess, and the Federal Gov't is gonna clean it up and rebuild, and taxpayers across the country are gonna foot the bill.

Pork spending and "pet" projects are too important to cancel, so the only alternative is a tax increase.  It's comming.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
... At least one agency would have the same authority to deal with local laws that the local Sheriff has, and they may deputize other agencies as well. ...

I assume you mean the Marshal Service, which as you say could deputize other agencies  - or just about anybody else (except U.S. Congress members, of course ).

I haven’t a clue what LA’s peace officer laws are, but I guess that might also be a possibility, albeit a really shaky one.

Problem is - what do they do with prisoners?  I’d assume anyone arrested under state law would have to be brought before a state or local magistrate.  If the state won’t cooperate, it doesn’t seem there’s much they could actually do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
We heard today that Loudon County Virginia tried to send a few officers down there (not sure exactly where) but they were sent back.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What good is a martial law declaration if 2/3 of your police force flees and you did not call up the NG? Until the troops are in place to enforce it, martial law means nothing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What good is a martial law declaration if 2/3 of your police force flees and you did not call up the NG? Until the troops are in place to enforce it, martial law means nothing.

That's my point, brother.  The governor has no basis for criticizing the feds when she didn't carry out her responsibilities.  And it's in keeping with her refusing to allow in federal LE.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like there is a lot of federal 'micro-managing' going on that is impeding the efforts to save lives...
the gulf coast needs water purifiers, not bottled water--some country offered to give something like 10K purifiers, but Bush said 'NO'.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#16]

WTF, Over?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Bush doesn't want us to drink clean water now???
I knew everything was his fault all along.
After all HE caused the Hurricane, dontcha know. Him and Karl Rove I bet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

After all HE caused the Hurricane, dontcha know. Him and Karl Rove I bet.

Bastards!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least one agency would have the same authority to deal with local laws that the local Sheriff has, and they may deputize other agencies as well.  As posted above though, they need an invite to do it probably.

I am sure she can't stop them, but she sure can delay it (hopefully for only so long), by not asking for that type of help.

There are several agencies there already on a limited basis providing specialits and resources. The rest who are waiting would be for more of a general mission. There have been large delpoyments (1000+) in the past for other natural disasters. This would seem like the time too, but there is also a huge mil presence this time around( or enroute).

If you are referring to the U.S. Marshals Service, that is a common misconception (many Deputy Marshals get that wrong, too.)  18 USC § 564 states that when executing the laws of the United States (federal law) within a particular state, U.S. Marshals and their deputies may exercise the same powers that a sheriff of that state has when executing state law.  It does not confer upon them the authority to enforce state law.  That authority (commonly known as "peace officer status") can only be conferred by the legislature of the state.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Seems like there is a lot of federal 'micro-managing' going on that is impeding the efforts to save lives...
the gulf coast needs water purifiers, not bottled water--some country offered to give something like 10K purifiers, but Bush said 'NO'.

Yeah, that bottled water would be absolutely useless in keeping everyone alive for the 3 weeks it'll take to get the purifiers shipped in and distributed...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...If you are referring to the U.S. Marshals Service, that is a common misconception (many Deputy Marshals get that wrong, too.)  ...

Interesting!

I was told many years ago at FLETC that they did have that authority.  Of course, it might have been a Deputy Marshal that told me!  

Admittedly, my perception may also have been affected by years of watching “Gunsmoke” and seeing Marshal Dillon always breaking up bar fights and such.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...If you are referring to the U.S. Marshals Service, that is a common misconception (many Deputy Marshals get that wrong, too.)  ...

Interesting!

I was told many years ago at FLETC that they did have that authority.  Of course, it might have been a Deputy Marshal that told me!  

Admittedly, my perception may also have been affected by years of watching “Gunsmoke” and seeing Marshal Dillon always breaking up bar fights and such.  

In the 19th century, there were a lot of circumstances in which lawmen carried more than one commission.  An excellent example was Pat Garrett, who was the elected Sheriff of Lincoln County, New Mexico, but also held a commission as a Deputy U.S. Marshal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#23]
FEDERALISM.

Someone needs a lesson in civics.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
It's amazing that a city full of idiots would help to elect an idiot as Governor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's amazing that a city full of idiots would help to elect an idiot as Governor.

Happens ALL over the US...... (Look at WA state.....)

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting!

In the 19th century, there were a lot of circumstances in which lawmen carried more than one commission.  An excellent example was Pat Garrett, who was the elected Sheriff of Lincoln County, New Mexico, but also held a commission as a Deputy U.S. Marshal.

So...

You an 1811 or a 082???

Enquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That bitch needs a big cup of STFU... she's done enough already!  

Here you go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting!

So...

You an 1811 or a 082???

Enquiring minds want to know!

Oh crap, I'm out of the closet now!

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#30]
BUT... you did not answer the question!!

Old fart 1811 20+
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
BUT... you did not answer the question!!

Old fart 1811 20+

1811 15 yrs.

Before that, 81152A 5yrs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top