Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 9:23:25 AM EDT
Sorry if this is a dupe but I did conduct a search of "SHTF" & didn't get a specific match so I thought I'd go ahead with the question.

I live in Memphis (yes, a hellhole but job is going to keep me here for at least another 2 yrs.) and while I don't anticipate any hurricanes, the city is located almost on top of the New Madrid Fault line.  The last big New Madrid earthquake occured in the early 1800's and it was so big that the Mississippi River flowed UPSTREAM for 2 days!  Anyhow, the earthquake experts predict a high likelyhood that this fault will have another massive movement in the next 10-20 years.  If this happens, there will be enormous structural damage & the city is in no way prepared to handle such an event.  On top of this, the population in Memphis is almost identical demographically to that in New Orleans (over 60% "minority, huge welfare roll, lots of gangbangers & otherwise completely useless members of society) & the politicans are not leaders and are almost as inept & corrupt as those in N.O.  So, if this happens, expect a lot of the same stuff to occur in Memphis that is currently going on in New Orleans.

Now, I'm pretty well armed from a weapon standpoint.  My current inventory includes:
1) Bushmaster with 16" HB topped with a Trijicon reflex; about 700rds. loaded into 20 & 30 rd. mags;
2) FAL w/Imbel receiver; about 140 rds. in mags & another 400 loose;
3) SAR-1 with 100rds. in mags & another 200 loose;
4) SAR-2 with 240 rds. in mags & another 200 loose;
5) Winchester 1300 Defender 12 gauge w/about 100rds of 00 buck & slugs;
6) Beretta 92FS 9mm w/2 15rd mags loaded & 100 loose

The scenario that I'd like help on is where I'm able to get home & that there is some (hopefully all) structural integrity to where it makes sense to hole up there.  I'd like help on what makes sense to stockpile as far as day-to-day necessities such as food, water, etc.  What specifically should I stock up on, how much, and how/where in my house should I store this emergency reserve of supplies.  Also, how much do you think I should put away to cover me, my wife, 16 month old son and 130lb. lab.  Should I have enough for 7 days or do I need to put away enough to last a month.  Finally, what kind of expense am I looking at in order to put together such a stash?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.  If this topic has already been covered I apologize but I couldn't find it using the search feature.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
ceylonc: You don't have enough ammo dude.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Keeping them at my house would guarantee that they wouldn't get damaged if your house floods...

OK, that aside - a "fallout shelter" would probably be your best bet - many of the 60's era design were intended to resist structural collapse from an exploding H-bomb, so it'd probably withstand an earthquake.

There have been several sites that have posted the old Civil Defense plans, many of which could be constructed in a basement. Not sure what your living arrangements are currently (house v. apartment), but that would have a lot to do with plans.

Try checking in the Survival Forum too.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Bug killer, generic and skin spray! You will have a clear zone around your person while the zombies will be overwhelmed by mosquitos and flies that are ever present in a disaster area. The last thing you need is West Nile Virus or infected food.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ceylonc: You don't have enough ammo dude.

+1

I didn't realize this until I took a CCW course and a carbine course and saw how much ammo you can blow through in a couple of days.  Very eye-opening.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]

The scenario that I'd like help on is where I'm able to get home & that there is some (hopefully all) structural integrity to where it makes sense to hole up there.  I'd like help on what makes sense to stockpile as far as day-to-day necessities such as food, water, etc.  What specifically should I stock up on, how much, and how/where in my house should I store this emergency reserve of supplies.  Also, how much do you think I should put away to cover me, my wife, 16 month old son and 130lb. lab.  Should I have enough for 7 days or do I need to put away enough to last a month.  Finally, what kind of expense am I looking at in order to put together such a stash?

A case or two of MRE's are a good bet, they will keep for years and years stashed away in a closet.  A LOT of water, bottled, various sizes, A few of those 3-ish gallon jugs will come in handy to make a makeshift shower. Small bottles for carrying around.  Canned food, any of the various "just add water" type meals all keep for long periods.  Entertainment:  board games, cards, books, etc.  Battery powered radios.  Extra gas cans with less-than-6-month-old gas in them in the garage.  The amounts for everything depend on how much you eat, it shouldnt be too hard to estimate.  Build it up a little at a time to defer the costs, a dozen items or so every time you go to the grocery store will build up quickly.  Stowing all of this neatly in boxes on the floor of upstairs closets will keep it safe and out of the way.  More ammo.  Spare dog food.  LOTS OF WATER.  Plan a water purification method.  Get bug-out bags ready.  

That'll do for a start.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Not enough ammo.  No food and water.  Warm clothing and portable shelter.  Basic medical supplies.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Store up pretty much whatever you use now, just in larger quantities.  Couldn't hurt to have a week's worth at at minimum, a month is better.

This stuff needs to be somewhat portable.  Don't count 100% on being able to bug in.  Plan for a bug out with family, and pack accordingly.

As for guns, that's some heavy stuff.  Nice to have at home, but one or two firearms and ammo is all that is practical to carry with you.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. If this topic has already been covered I apologize but I couldn't find it using the search feature

LOL

scroll down past GD,, and you'll see  a lil place called the survival forum, not that the words shtf,teotwawki,mzb,jbt, etc ect  are ver ver used there or nothing

you'll prolly find all your answers in the FAQ or within the 1st 2 pages,,check back every 3 days and you will get more answers on the same question.......

good luck
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#9]
food and water...and don't let anyone know you have it...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. If this topic has already been covered I apologize but I couldn't find it using the search feature

LOL

scroll down past GD,, and you'll see  a lil place called the survival forum, not that the words shtf,teotwawki,mzb,jbt, etc ect  are ver ver used there or nothing

you'll prolly find all your answers in the FAQ or within the 1st 2 pages,,check back every 3 days and you will get more answers on the same question.......

good luck

Wait till I tell all the guys in SF that protus was in general discussion
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Other than guns and ammo, I have cash, gasoline, some food and water, light sources, multi powered radio, FRS radios, batteries, tarps for temoprary roof patching and a couple sheets of plywood. I also have access to a generator for extended periods of power outages.

Other than guns and ammo, I haven't got a stockpile of supplies meant to last for long periods of time. For extended periods, evac is the way to go. For the family at least. Being an LEO, under most evac circumstances, I'd have to stay.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

good luck

Wait till I tell all the guys in SF that protus was in general discussion

shhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone,,,,

actually im just here to make sure all the shtf  threads dont go un answerd by a  tin foil perfectionist as myself
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#13]
get stripper clips, bandoleers, and mag chargers for the loose ammo.

Have cash on hand in small bills.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can get your hands on it, get some Zithromax, or Z pack as its called. It is a good wide spectrum antibiotic with few side effects. And get lots more water ammo, and my favorite Chef Boyardee's Raviolis!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Come visit us in the SURVIVAL forum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I should have visited the Survival forum.  Guess I had a brain fart because it never occured to me that the info I'm looking for has probably been covered at least 500+ times there!  My bad!

Thanks for the help & advice provided.  Sounds like I need LOTS of ammo.  As a side question, should I stock up on 5.56 or should I use the FAL as my truck gun & stock up with more 7.62?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#17]
you need more ammo

all of your ammo should be in mags if possible--need more mags

need food--MREs or any kinda of food that stays fresh for a long time

need fresh H20, purifier tabs, top notch filters

batteries/comm equipment/lights

gas/diesel

medical equipment

rope/tools/etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top