Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 6:36:54 AM EDT
I was just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]
any time in the next month, could be tomorow.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Whenever President Bush fires up the Haliburton hurricane machine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you hoping something comes to finish NO off?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a report on CNN last night from one of their meteorologists saying more were on the way and that September would be very active.

Let's just hope that any of these that develop steer clear of the Gulf. Even a minimal system would really create problems down there right now. And let's hope any that hit other areas are not Cat 3's, 4's or 5's. I'm not sure we can take another huge hit again so soon after this one, either in manpower needs or dollars.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I was reading something on this yesterday, sorry I have forgotten where and they said that September is the most active month for hurricanes and they expected a 46% increase in activity over last year.  They also said the expected THREE major storms for Sept and Oct.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask Africa.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

WHEN IS THE NEXT HURRICANE DUE?

I was just wondering.

Due? I don't think Mother Nature posts a schedule.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you hoping something comes to finish NO off?

While that thought did run through my mind, I am cheering for the people that are down there working to rebuild the levees and pump the place out.

You know, all those people the media isn't talking about except to say that they haven't gotten it done yet.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
This wasn't the article  I was reading but it has some of the same facts.  

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 2 (Xinhuanet) -- The Hurricane Katrina, which has caused huge disaster in New Orleans, is not the last one in this blustering season, and more storms, including six hurricanes,will hit US Atlantic coast over the next two months, scientists forecast on Friday.

Five named storms, including four hurricanes, are expected to occur in September, with three named storms including two hurricanes in October, according to the forecast. The net tropical cyclone activity will go far beyond the average levels.

"We expect that by the time the 2005 hurricane season is over, we will witness seasonal tropical cyclone activity at near record levels," said said William Gray and Philip Klotzbach, atmospheric scientists at the Colorado State University.

"We are continuing the bad news by predicting above-average activity for September and October. This year should be one of the most active and is already the most destructive hurricane season on record,"

The two researchers, releasing their forecast of Atlantic hurricane activity for September and October 2005, said that record amount of storms have occurred from this June through August, but the active season is far from over.

"Information obtained through 31 August 2005 shows that we have already experienced 110 percent of the average full season net tropical cyclone (NTC) activity. In an average year, 33 percent ofthe seasonal average NTC of 100 occurs before the end of August," their report said.

The hurricane forecast team said there is a 43 percent chance an intense hurricane will hit the US coast in September and a 15 percent chance in October. The long-term average is 27 percent in September and 6 percent in October.

The Atlantic hurricane season already has seen 13 named storms,including Maria, which formed Friday. Four storms became hurricanes. The 50-year average per season from 1950 to 2000 is 9.6 named storms, 5.9 hurricanes and 2.3 intense hurricanes.

The record high frequency and intensity of the hurricanes mightbe attributed to long-term fluctuations in the Atlantic Ocean thermohaline circulation, but not the global warming, the researchers argued.

If global warming were the cause of the increase in the US hurricane landfalls in 2004 and 2005 and the overall increase in Atlantic hurricane activity of the past eleven years, more storms in world's other regions could also be expected, they said.

But when tropical cyclones worldwide are summed, there has actually been a slight decrease since 1995, and the measured global warming during year 1970 to 1994 was accompanied by a downturn in Atlantic storms, noted the forecast.

"We attribute the heightened Atlantic major hurricane activity between 1995-2005 to be a consequence of the multi decadal fluctuations in the Atlantic Ocean thermohaline circulation (THC)," said the researchers.

"Since 1995, the THC has been flowing more strongly, and there has been a concomitant increase in major hurricanes in the tropical Atlantic," they added. Enditem

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm not sure we can take another huge hit again so soon after this one, either in manpower needs or dollars.  

Welcome to Florida circa 2004... I kept telling myself "we're good, what are the odds of getting another one here?"

My wife's first cane was Ivan (she's from MD)... It spawned nearly 200 tornadoes.  Needless to say, when a hurricane enters the gulf, she's already arranging travel plans now.  Makes my life easier at work tho' knowing she's out of here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top