Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 4:55:19 AM EDT
I found a plastic bread bag and slices of chewed bread scattered about the yard this morning.  I picked it up and tossed it out without thinking.  However, there is a possum in the area and it may have been him that did it.

If he carries rabies, could I spread the pathogen by touching the bread and bag?  I washed my hands thoroughly but I touched the garage door opener.  Anyone know anything about pathology?

G
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#1]
It is possible to contract rabies through any close contact. There is at least one case of a caver contracting rabies from infected bats while exploring a cave. However, in that case, the caver was exposed to the air in a confined space and probably the fecal matter (guano).

The good news is that rabies is a rare disease, even among wild animals. The reason that everyone freaks out so much about it is that it is hard to diagnose, not curable or preventable once symptoms appear, and is always fatal after many days of horrible symptoms. The fact that your 'possum is eating, and is not seen in the daytime (they are nocturnal animals) is a sign that it is not sick and probably not infected. Wash your hands, wipe off the garage door opener and don't give it a second thought.

-RJ
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
G man

The rabies virus cannot survive more than an hour w/o a living host.  You should be ok if you have no cuts on your hand and didn't rub your eyes or suck on your fingers you should be just fine.  Your skin is good protection, only worries would be introduction to your blood stream, eyes, mucus membranes etc.

But not for nothing, I use gloves just in case when handling rabid/distempered critters.  

After you dispatch that sick critter, bury it and wash the shovel w/ 10% solution of bleach (1 cup of bleach to a mop bucket) and poor the remainder of the bleach over the bloody spot on the lawn.  (This is assuming your local laws let you dispatch diseased wildlife, and your not crazy enough to shoot in a city/village w/o really being able to justify it, blah blah blah usual disclaimer)

Tom
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  I looked it up and it is a virus, so I was worried it could survive outside the carrier's body for a day or so.  

Rj - yeah he motors around between the park across the street and our side of the street.  I've only ever seen him late at night.  He probably isn't sick.

G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top