Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 7:16:29 PM EDT
I need a used car for my wife.  I wanted all wheel drive, she's got a small suv right now with a v-6, but she still wants even better gas mileage.  I want her in something which isn't  just a crappy little tin can with no room and no power.  I'll be using it some and we've got two large dogs that need to fit.  Looking to spend around 10-12 thousand.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
subaru outback or forester?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat.  Although gas mileage isn't that great, I'm currently leaning toward the Jeep Liberty.  Wanted a Rav4, but the two test drives were unimpressive.  The Liberty I drove yesterday was much better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Not all wheel drive, but I'm real impressed with Dodge Intrepids. They are front wheel drive with a front engine. Should get plenty of traction this winter.

I bought a '94 this spring and love it. It has the 3.5 v6 and I knocked down a good 35miles/gallon this summer on vacation. Ran without the a/c on, that had to help. I get 20 - 23 around town.

Big and comfortable. Gotta' be much better than a tiny car. I got one heck of a deal on this car - $750. But I think it books at around $2200 or so. So you should be able to pick up a much newer one with the budget you have planned. I say give them a look.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've stood on the hiway flagging for a guardrail crew for the last 2 months and i swear, it seems like every 5th vehicle was a damn Subaru. "Outback" or Legacy". There was so damn many that the other flagger, on the radio, and I nicknamed them SRR [subaru w/roof rack] as last vehicle in line. Seems to be a very popular auto.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I went to the government gas mileage site and after all the considerations I think I'm going to stay with what we've got.  If gas stays at $3.50 a gallon, which I doubt, and I improved my mileage by 10 mpg for her current comute, I would only save about $450 a year.  The loss of the power, saftey, capacity, and comfort are not worth $450 to me right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top