Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 6:18:27 PM EDT
I have been keeping tab on the news for days now, since my family was involve, they live in Hattiesburg, MS , but you see what citizens of New Orleans has been doing to hamper the efforts of good people and you see how the people of the Mississippi gulf coast has been pitching in and welcomeinf relief efforts. I think the few people of New Orleans should tune in to ho this things are handled by looking at their neighbors to the east.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
2 very different classes of people
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've noticed it. It's an obvious difference.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
And New Orleans is a "big city" with gangs.

I hope they nail those, that are shooting at the police and others that are trying to help. I don't like feeling like this, but I don't want to see jail time for those few people. Just take care of business and get it over with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+12
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
ahhhhh....yeah
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The flooding isn't near as bad on the MS Gulf Coast as it is in NOLA. My wife also said she thought that Haley Barbour said something like,"Looters will not be tolerated. More than likely there will be someone with a gun inside the house or shop being broken into."

The media has hardly talked about the damage that Hattiesburg received. There are people up here in Tupelo that came here from Hattiesburg to get away from the damage. MPB interviewed some people from Hattiesburg. They said there was some looting the day after the storm, but not a whole lot. Southern is okay, but the damage is sporadic.

Added to it, Mississippi Laws and Summaries on packing.org says..

§ 97-3-15 Homicide; justifiable homicide.

(1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or omission of another shall be justifiable in the following cases:
(e) When committed by any person in resisting any attempt unlawfully to kill such person or to commit any felony upon him, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person shall be;
(f) When committed in the lawful defense of one's own person or any other human being, where there shall be reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury, and there shall be imminent danger of such design being accomplished
(h) When necessarily committed in lawfully suppressing any riot or in lawfully keeping and preserving the peace.

SOURCES: Codes, Hutchinson's 1848, ch. 64, art. 12, Title 3 (2); 1857, ch. 64, art. 168; 1871, Sec. 2631; 1880, Sec. 2878; 1892, Sec. 1152; 1906, Sec. 1230; Hemingway's 1917, Sec. 960; 1930, Sec. 988; 1942, Sec. 2218; Laws, 1983, ch. 382, eff from and after January 1, 1984.

So I figure looting is either a disruption of the peace or a felony committed against a person. If someone's in your house...Least that's how I interprete it...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And New Orleans is a "big city" with gangs. undocumented shoppers

I hope they nail those, that are shooting at the police and others that are trying to help. I don't like feeling like this, but I don't want to see jail time for those few people. Just take care of business and get it over with.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
2 very different classes of people

Urban versus rural, IMO. Rural folks tend to take of theirselves, IMO. Nice folks too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The flooding isn't near as bad on the MS Gulf Coast as it is in NOLA. My wife also said she thought that Haley Barbour said something like,"Looters will not be tolerated. More than likely there will be someone with a gun inside the house or shop being broken into."

Actually, he said they will be dealt with "ruthlessly."  That leaves little doubt for detached assholes.  Add to the fact the Blanco was busy crying alot and looking awestruck, while Barbour was sacking up and putting the word out from on high.  One example of leadership, another an example of slackass in action.
I used to have some tenets of leadership on my office wall and one of them was something like crisis doesn't build character it reveals it.  Katrina was a fine example of showing the character of some civic leaders.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quite obvious
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Fixed it for ya

"Undocumented Shoppers!" Oh man, that's a good one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top