Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 5:44:52 PM EDT
Watching Shep Smith on Fox and apparantly there is a checkpoint on the road that is PREVENTING people from leaving the disaster area to make their way to uneffected areas.

So what the fuck is that?

The southern border is a wide open fiesta party BUT people in one LA county cannot walk to another LA county where there are things like supplies and services.

I think I'd be pissed if I was told where I could and could NOT travel in America. I think I'm pissed that they are actually telling Americans the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to say it, but if I lived in one of the neighboring cities, I'd be damn glad they are keeping the people there.

Imagine all the people who have gone all "African warlord" on us... do you really want those people spreading out into other areas?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the surrounding areas are panicking about having them in their towns
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
F***ing bureaucrat mentality is what it is, the mentality that praises order over ingenuity and DIY.  I worked for .gov for over a decade, and there are too many people with that attitude of "don't do something, just sit there til I tell you what to do."

Sorry to rant.  I saw Shep Smith ranting as well about it, and were I there, I'd be rallying EVERYONE at that convention center:  "they can turn back one or 2 of us, but not all of us...Follow Me and don't stop walking!"
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hate to say it, but if I lived in one of the neighboring cities, I'd be damn glad they are keeping the people there.

Imagine all the people who have gone all "African warlord" on us... do you really want those people spreading out into other areas?

Imagine the people like you and me who are stuck at the Superdome or Convention Center and would like to leave.

When did EVERYONE suddenly become a "bad apple"?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
F***ing bureaucrat mentality is what it is, the mentality that praises order over ingenuity and DIY.

+2
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I would have had my ass out of there long before now.  

Sheeple often need a shepherd.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine the people like you and me who are stuck at the Superdome or Convention Center and would like to leave.

Steyr... let's face it... probably 85% of the people at the Superdome have the potential to become a "bad apple" just as soon as they get away from government support.

The "good apples" mostly left before the storm hit.  Mostly, the ones who stayed are poor or stupid... two groups who are notorious for doing a lot of damage to a community.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nagin declares Martial Law to crack down on looters

Understood. However the idea that able bodies citizens are NOT allowed to evacuate themselves to safety is incredibly stupid. If "able bodied, self motivated" people left of their own accord that would leave more supplies for those who cannot evacuate themselves.

Given the fact that babies and shit are dying this is just incredibly assinine. Of course is it a Nagin plan so that seems to be about par.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steyr... let's face it... probably 85% of the people at the Superdome have the potential to become a "bad apple" just as soon as they get away from government support.

The "good apples" mostly left before the storm hit.  Mostly, the ones who stayed are poor or stupid... two groups who are notorious for doing a lot of damage to a community.

"Bad apples" will sit on their ass and wait for someone to show up and do things for them. Anyone who is inclined to seek civilization on their own probably has a spare clue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, don't go through the checkpoint then.  Go around it by a mile or two.  If checkpoint is on bridge then brave the water scum again and go under the bridge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, don't go through the checkpoint then.  Go around it by a mile or two.  If checkpoint is on bridge then brave the water scum again and go under the bridge.

I'd like to think that an American could walk from county to county in broad daylight given the circumstances.

It just bothers me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Bad apples" will sit on their ass and wait for someone to show up and do things for them. Anyone who is inclined to seek civilization on their own probably has a spare clue.

A few have a spare clue.  The rest would become a major drain on the surrounding areas.  They are homeless, probably 100% moneyless... what are they going to do?  

Keeping them there and moving them to an area set up to take care of them is the best thing at this point.

I'm sure the ones who have communicated that they DO have the means to get somewhere and find a place to stay are being allowed to leave.  The ones who just want to leave so they can get to a nearby town with no clue what to do next are the ones they want to control.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A few have a spare clue.  The rest would become a major drain on the surrounding areas.  They are homeless, probably 100% moneyless... what are they going to do?  

I dunno...maybe not die of dehydration?

You did know people are dying right?

People are newly homeless in the next county too, but they are NOT dying from lack of food and water.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Keeping them there and moving them to an area set up to take care of them is the best thing at this point.

I'm sure the ones who have communicated that they DO have the means to get somewhere and find a place to stay are being allowed to leave.  The ones who just want to leave so they can get to a nearby town with no clue what to do next are the ones they want to control.

Yeah, and it's so much better to leave them there to starve and dehydrate -- WTF, over?  

If the aid can't get to them, let them get to the aid.  If they walk toward the aid, amazingly they reach the aid quicker.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
never go to a gov't shelter
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
never go to a gov't shelter

Honestly, some people (even good people) just don't have options.

The "all the good people left" crowd is starting to wear on my nerves. I remember Andrew.

The reasons GOOD PEOPLE don't leave are many and varied. That could be a LOT of us stuck in fucking NO right now for a LOT of different reasons.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
NEVER GO TO A GOV'T SHELTER

fixed it for the visually impaired and to further get the message across.  This clusterfuck is EXACTLY why I have stockpiles of food, water, guns, ammo, gas, ect.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with SA.  No matter what anarchy might occur from letting the "bad apples" flee the area, Nanny Government should not be in the buisiness of stopping it with checkpoints.  

I would take my family over, around or through any checkpoints to bug out of that place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I read over on the minutemen board, the brige is where the prison community are being held. That's why they can't leave the bridge. What bridge, I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Martial Law/ED. No basic rights.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

08:04 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Disgusted and furious with the lawlessness of looters who have put fear into citizens, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared Martial Law in the city and directed the city's 1,500 person police force to do "whatever it takes" to regain control of the city.

Nagin said that Martial Law means that officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters.

Amid the chaos Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWL083105lawless.1242410b.html

But contrary to such media reports, martial law has not been declared in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, because no such term exists in Louisiana state law.

Rather, a state of emergency has been declared, which does give some powers similar to that of martial law. On the evening of August 31, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin did declare "martial law" (in name at least) in the city and said that "officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters."

Traveling is simply one of those ordinary rights that can be curtailed during such periods.

Eric The(IdiotSavant)Hun

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They'll be coming to a "hood" near you soon!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

08:04 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Disgusted and furious with the lawlessness of looters who have put fear into citizens, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared Martial Law in the city and directed the city's 1,500 person police force to do "whatever it takes" to regain control of the city.

Nagin said that Martial Law means that officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters.

Amid the chaos Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWL083105lawless.1242410b.html

But contrary to such media reports, martial law has not been declared in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, because no such term exists in Louisiana state law.

Rather, a state of emergency has been declared, which does give some powers similar to that of martial law. On the evening of August 31, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin did declare "martial law" (in name at least) in the city and said that "officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters."

Traveling is simply one of those ordinary rights that can be curtailed during such periods.

Eric The(IdiotSavant)Hun

What he said.

I guess the part that bothers me, is whoever is in charge told these people to "go to the Convention Center" and you'll get help (water, food, etc.)  So these people went there, expecting aid.  No aid to be had.  So they want to leave.  Nope.  You gotta stay at the convention center, with NO food, NO water, NO aid.

So, this "state of emergency" that has been declared by the inept dipshit of a mayor means that you have to stay housed up in a convention center that reeks of shit and piss, full of rapists and murderers and thieves?

Nice.  Way to go, New Orleans!  Sink into the fucking ocean already.

Welcome to the Big Easy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I read over on the minutemen board, the brige is where the prison community are being held. That's why they can't leave the bridge. What bridge, I don't know.

If true, then the checkpoint may be valid.

Otherwise, no. The people trying to get to safety may indeed be savages. And I'll be the first to admit there's a good chance of that. But until they actually do something savage, or attempt to do something savage, they're just American citizens like you and me, and should be treated as such. Just as carrying a gun doesn't indicate you're a psychopathic killer who's about to go off, neither does coming from a disaster area indicate you're intent on commiting crimes upon the locals.

Furthermore, if someone tried to stop me from escaping that shithole, I'd either go around them or over the top of them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#27]
They got alot of other people out from different places. Are they trying to prevent the spread of some virus or something ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#28]
There's also the danger of people becoming disoriented or lost while they are on the road to nowhere. If they are going to starve or dehydrate just sitting there, they'll just starve or dehydrate faster when they are walking. If they get off the road, they won't be found to be given help until they are gone. I guess they are either stalling until they figure out what they are doing with all those people or they are containing them so they can keep them from hurting themselves or both.
It's a matter of numbers, if they didn't stop loading people onto buses at night, they could get twice as many people moved out of there. I do not know what took the NG so long to get there unless they had a hard time to work out a way to get there, it's almost too little, too late, now. I'll find out what was going on when I get in touch with a couple of NG buddies that went down there a few days ago...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top