Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2001 1:55:30 PM EDT
[img]http://www.tomashworth.com/dcforum/User_files/3b56ff4b60468b09.jpg[/img]

Yep, thats about 6 hours on the nozzle of a 4" gold dredge. There is enough there to buy another new HS2000. You are looking at about 1 1/2 ounces. There was another 1/2 ounce we cleaned up out of the sluice before we panned that down.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Heh. actually, my club is called "Dredge Earth First"  [:)]

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. Under 15' of crystal clear water, sucking up gold...

[url]www.dredgeearthfirst.com[/url]
[url]www.tomashworth.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  I used to be into metal detecting; had a Garrett GTI 2000 and a White's Spectrum XLT.  But, I had to stop due to lack of time.  (College student.)

How hard is it to get started in panning?  How are the equipment costs?

Mike
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Location? Well, there is gold in most states. If you go to [url]www.tomashworth.com[/url] there is a page listing gold bearing locations by state.

Panning does take a certain nack. The best wat to get into prospecting is by joining a club. that way you can go out with guys (or girls) who really know what they are doing. Most clubs also have proven claims you can work as well. One of the largest in the US is the GPAA [url]www.goldprospectors.org[/url]. A yearly membership with them costs $67.50 and you get a claims guide listing all the claims in the US the club owns, a pan, a panning video and some other goodies.

The next step up from panning is sluicing. You can move a lot more dirt that way, that means more gold. Mining is all about volume. I started doing this when I lived in Iowa 2 years ago. I would drive to South Dakota on weekends with a pan. Pans run around $10, not too bad to get started. I finally bought a sluice box ($70), then a year later a highbanker ($600), and this year I purchased a dredge.

[img]http://www.keeneengineering.com/gfx/p_5-4_MARK.jpg[/img]

The dredge allows you to dive under water using a hookah air system and suck gravel and sand up like a huge vacum. The sand and stuff goes through the sluice and is returned to the river bed minus the "heavys" including the gold. You can really move a lot of stuff with a 4" dredge in a day and not work real hard at it.

As well as being a fun thing to do, you can make some decent money at it. It is also not a bad thing to know how to do if the shit really ever hits the fan. I suspect gold would be the only medium of trade then. if any of you are interested, shoot me a mail.

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Well damn thats not fair, down here where i live if i put a pan in the local stream i will pull back i pan full of mud and a steady flow of beer cans.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like fun.   Wish we had gold here on the East coast.  It reminds me of years ago during a vacation in western NC.  Franklin NC or around that area.  Rockhounding.  I found a huge saphire and a few nice ruby's.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like fun.   Wish we had gold here on the East coast.  It reminds me of years ago during a vacation in western NC.  Franklin NC or around that area.  Rockhounding.  I found a huge saphire and a few nice ruby's.  
View Quote

Lots of gold in NC and GA.

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of gold in NC and GA.

Why do you think Charlotte was founded in the first place? There has allways been a shitload of gold in the Carolinas. Still is.
Scott

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Aviator - I have posted the questions asking for any gold miners out there.  You never responded - We need to talk.  I am just up the road from you.  Got a dredge last year and detector need help and guidance.  At *$3000 an ounce it's good work if you can get it!

*$3000 is what I will have spent if I find an ounce.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Aviator, all that work and you found a dime? [:)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Found a bunch of lead and mercury also

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well damn thats not fair, down here where i live if i put a pan in the local stream i will pull back i pan full of mud and a steady flow of beer cans.
View Quote

Try out in the Davis mountians, plenty out there
KenS
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Aviator took me down to his secret location and had a great time! We didn't break the bank because I didn't have the right equipment but not for long! Gold will make a man do funny things; it's making me spend around $3K [img]http://www.prolinemining.com/images/5dredge.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn man, where did you find that rig? Looks nice. Proline? Let me know when you are ready to head S Again. That thing have dual air? You can pick up another T 80 compressor for about $180. I have a couple videos you might want to watch also.

Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Earth First

We'll mine the other planets later.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:06:38 AM EDT
[#19]

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! WHERE'S THE LOCATION!!!

View Quote

You want gold?....I'll show you where the gold are!....FORT KNOX!!!....You might need your AR for this one...[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top