Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 12:12:33 PM EDT
Rant on!

Today I have been working on the logistics of getting disaster relief to the gulf states.  My company has gotten the local churches to start food and clothe drives to be picked up on Tuesday and shipped up to a point in Jackson MS to be passed on from there.  My job is to find the trucks, man power to load it, fork lifts, boxes, and stuff to put it in.  I have called many corporations that you all would know and they seem to just pass it off and do not feel they need to help.  Said they were not interested in donating a use of a forklift, boxes etc.  I have located many of the things needed from local friends in the biz but Corporate America can go suck a fucking dick.  I do not understand people and why they would not help others in desperate need.  I even contacted local radio stations knowing they have food drives and have offered free transportation up to these areas for their product and they seemed to think they could handle it on their own.  I asked them to see if they would broadcast over the air to see if there were people out there that could lend us a hand with food, boxes, etc and nothing.  It freaking amazes me to listen to their excuses on why they would not be able to help.   Even being here in Miami you would think that people would understand what they are going through.    I say fuck all you Corporate people that think of yourself and the profits you turn for your company.  Sometimes you need to break even and help your fellow neighbor.  Because you are going to need help one time and you are going to be the first one bitching that no one is helping!

Rant off!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess you will just have to rent the lift and trucks yourself, man.  Do you have donated cash to do that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
each truck will cost $2500 each and all the free food and everything that people bring.  I just do not see why a company bigger than we are (we do $2mil a year) to be able to just donate $100 or just a few hours of their time.   Fucking A!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
our company is providing the trucks, a $10k jester by our company.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You are being unfair, unreasonable and are not going to have much
success with your logistics.

In any size company it is the top wheels that decide when and how
to assist in such efforts.  The big guys ARE donating, just in a
different way than you need.

The low level local branch assistant manager of a large multinational
company does not have the authority to lend you a forklift.  And there
are seven levels of management between him and the top.

Small local companies, say with owner/CEO on site, are who you need
to be talking to.

I wish you success.
DanM
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You are being unfair, unreasonable and are not going to have much
success with your logistics.

In any size company it is the top wheels that decide when and how
to assist in such efforts.  The big guys ARE donating, just in a
different way than you need.

The low level local branch assistant manager of a large multinational
company does not have the authority to lend you a forklift.  And there
are seven levels of management between him and the top.

Small local companies, say with owner/CEO on site, are who you need
to be talking to.

I wish you success.
DanM

Agree he needs to talk to the CEO, but he can call the big wigs at a Fortune 500 just as easily as the guy down the street - trick is to do so in a manner that lets the F500 CEO gain some face time or recognition for their work (they all thrive on getting something for every single thing they do, it's how they got to the top in the first place)

middle managers can't do squat, regrettably.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked with corporate Uhaul, Publix, and many local "smaller businesses" about this.  My company is providing the trucks, the man power is from the churches, We got a local forklift and a pallet jack from a local rental site, and all we need is boxes to be able to package this stuff.  Its freaking boxes not asking for blood!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't there a large pool of labor available right now?????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top